U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:39 AM

28 posts, read 82,208 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on relocating. We have checked on several states. I prefer farther south. Can anyone tell me what the hospitals are like there and how is the salary. Also would like to know the cost of living. Is the city pretty safe? What is there to do for teens in your city? Any information would be helpful. I prefer living kind of out in the country away from the city. What is the rent like or taxes because we don't know if we will rent or buy some land first. He is disabled and I will be working at one of the hospitals. Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:15 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,240,091 times
Welcome to Lafayette General Medical Center
This is where I work. There's usually an opening for nurses. This hospital has been around since the 60s.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Welcome to Lafayette General Medical Center
This is where I work. There's usually an opening for nurses. This hospital has been around since the 60s.
Do you have any idea what the base pay is for an RN at the General Med Center. And how many hospitals are there in Lafayette? Thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 12:49 PM

Not sure the pay. I work in the boiler room and they try to keep a lid on nurses' pay. They have gotten several across the board raises since I've been working here but my department only got one. Go to www.theadvertiser.com and www.acadianahelpwanted.com for some online job searches in our area. The nurses in this area regularly rotate from hospital to hospital and some work at nursing temp firms. When it comes to RNs, you have the upperhand. Also, before you balk at the pay, do a search to compare cost of living for our area compared to your area. You may be offered less than what you previously made but the cost of living may be less than where you lived. Don't rush into registering your vehicle in our state. You may have to pay taxes on your vehicle to register it here.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 AM

Ok, thanks for the info. Do you have any idea at what the rent is like in the city and out away from the city in smaller towns?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:46 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,679,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieturner13 View Post
Ok, thanks for the info. Do you have any idea at what the rent is like in the city and out away from the city in smaller towns?
there are plenty of affordable apartments and housing if thats what you are asking. SOme of them have been as low as 600/month and those arent even in bad areas. It has risen a bit though but still very affordable. the costs can also rise quite sharply of course depending on the location. If you are an RN though I dont foresee much of a problem affording to live here. Thats one of the perks of Lafayette, the cost of living is much lower than many places, especially up north.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:41 PM

Sounds good. I was also wondering what does Lafayette have to offer for entertainment as far as teenagers. And is there a zoo or anything along that line anywhere in driving distance. We will be making a trip down there very soon to check out the place, but I am anxious to know about the city. Any information is appreciated. Debbie

Old 11-26-2008, 02:56 PM

Well, I guess since I haven't received a response there probably isn't much to do. Anyway thanks.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:21 AM

I've been away for a while. There's a small zoo nearby as well as the Baton Rouge and New Orleans zoo within driving distance. Downtown on Friday is a street dance party with music. Girard Park is the location for many events including some festivals. Downtown also has a children's museum, library, planetarium, and nightclubs. Near the University is an art museum. The Cajun Dome host concerts.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 AM

Ok, good sounds like there is a lot going on and lots to do. Glad to hear that. We will be making a trip down more than likely in January and I just wanted to know what kind of entertainment the city has. I excited because I have never been to Louisiana. Thanks a lot for your information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana