Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM

157 posts, read 560,160 times

Advertisements

Possible new job in Lafayette coming up. What is the typical professional salary in Lafayette. Manager related. Can't give exact job due to totally unsure until I interview.

Moving from the Western States and need to know about the community, housing, neighboring areas where one might live but work in Lafayette. Looking to buy a home and thinking would love 3 bedrooms min. sq ftg 2000 single level (with swimming pool) what would this cost me in a nice area. Love big lots too.

Also how is the economy in Lafayette. Curious about job potential for significant other. He wants to work on a boat always his dream to fish etc.

Also new home areas, does anyone have the web links or names of the builders in the event I want to buy new.

What about taxes, automobile licensing, insurance rates, and how badly affected is Lafayette when a storm such as IKE hite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 12:32 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post
Possible new job in Lafayette coming up. What is the typical professional salary in Lafayette. Manager related. Can't give exact job due to totally unsure until I interview.

Moving from the Western States and need to know about the community, housing, neighboring areas where one might live but work in Lafayette. Looking to buy a home and thinking would love 3 bedrooms min. sq ftg 2000 single level (with swimming pool) what would this cost me in a nice area. Love big lots too.

Also how is the economy in Lafayette. Curious about job potential for significant other. He wants to work on a boat always his dream to fish etc.

Also new home areas, does anyone have the web links or names of the builders in the event I want to buy new.

What about taxes, automobile licensing, insurance rates, and how badly affected is Lafayette when a storm such as IKE hite.

I can't give you the salary info you want, but Lafayette is a very enjoyable place to live, and you will be surprised at how reasonable houses are over there. If your significant other is degreed there may be a number of options available to her; working on a boat out of Lafayette may be a little difficult.

Taxes: sales taxes are high, income taxes are reasonable (I think LA ranks in the middle on these), Real Estate taxes vary. I live in Baton Rouge, and our rates here are decent. There is a $75000 property tax exemption for your main domicile. When you register your car you will get a shock, as you will have to pay a very high percentage. Plates vary by type of car; my 2006 Chrysler 300 costs $32 every 2 years. Car and home insurance is comparatively high. That Chrysler costs me $700; the house is $2600.

Hurricanes are not as much of a danger as they would be if the city was further south. I don't recall how badly Ike effected the city, Gustav wasn't much of a problem for them though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana