Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 39,333 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Lafayette and need some quick help from the forum.

What is the average salary in Lafayette for all occupations (just average) A professional position

What is the price of a home about 1800 sq ft 3 bedrooms? Nice area

What is the unemployment rate (checking for spouse)

Are there snakes and gators roaming?

How high are your state taxes, auto registration and property taxes.

Has Lafayette experienced the down economy in housing as in other portions of the US

Need help because considering a job transfer and need QUICK QUICK help

Oh yes how is traffic compared to say Dallas or Houston?

Finally what is the best reason you can think of why a person should move to his city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigihere View Post
I am considering a move to Lafayette and need some quick help from the forum.

What is the average salary in Lafayette for all occupations (just average) A professional position

What is the price of a home about 1800 sq ft 3 bedrooms? Nice area

What is the unemployment rate (checking for spouse)

Are there snakes and gators roaming?

How high are your state taxes, auto registration and property taxes.

Has Lafayette experienced the down economy in housing as in other portions of the US

Need help because considering a job transfer and need QUICK QUICK help

Oh yes how is traffic compared to say Dallas or Houston?

Finally what is the best reason you can think of why a person should move to his city?
Lafayette has a population of around 100,000 and a metro population of around 400,000. While its population is mostly within a compact area, thus creating some traffic issues, it doesn't come anywhere near comparing to that of Dallas or Houston.

Snakes and gators roam freely. Some keep them as pets, but most are just yard strays. Feed them, they stay. Ignore them, they get hungry and eat you. You know by now that I'm joking (I hope). It's highly unlikely that you'll encounter a gator in all your time in Lafayette, unless you go looking for them. The occasional snake might come into your yard if you live near water, but I wouldn't worry... seriously.

Honestly, every area of the United States has been affected by the economy in some way, but Louisiana in general isn't doing bad. I would have to assume Lafayette is doing well due to the money coming in from those working in the oil industry. Lafayette is home base to a lot of businesses who operate offshore oil platforms, so no doubt they're doing well (except that gas prices are now down around $2/gallon!!)

Auto registration isn't bad, but insurance in Louisiana does suck... I have to be honest. My only advice to you in that area is to shop around.

As far as WHY a person should move to Lafayette, I'll have to leave that to those who live there. I have no comment on that. All the other questions I didn't answer, I couldn't, but I hope someone else is able to. I live about 3 hours north of Lafayette, but I've had enough dealings with the area to be able to answer what I did.

Best of luck to you! While I personally am not keen on "Cajun Country", a LOT of people who move to Lafayette seem to REALLY love it there. There's got to be something to that.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 39,333 times
Hey thanks for the info you were able to provide. Just want to make certain I am going to negotiate enough in the job to live comfortably that is the reason for so many vague questions. Can't say which job because it is definitely high profile and someone might recognize what I might be doing and "tell on me" I just want to insure I have enough to continue my lifestyle as it is now (Dinner out 3 times per week, vacations to Europe and shopping sprees in Dallas and the Galleria in Houston)

. Lafayette sounds appealing on the INTERNET but we all know fiction and factual observations are closely related. Just depends on who is telling the story. I hear you about the traffic. Dallas is terrible and well Houston traffic (no comment is necessary if you have ever been on the freeways at 5 PM) so perhaps Lafayette traffic is something I would laugh at (for a few months anyway)

I will shop around for insurance and thanks for that advice. As far as snakes, they are my worst nightmare having been bitten by a poisonous one once in my life. Gators I hear are good eating in LA but I will pass. Just hope there are good sushi restaurants in the area.

Last edited by Gigihere; 11-10-2008 at 09:25 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 05:42 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,421 times
regarding alligators, there Is actually a place in town to safely see a couple, and that is right on the University of Louisiana Lafayette campus. there is a walled in section of actual swampland right by the student union and you can occasionally see an alligator swimming around in there. They are really small though so no worries.
Another place to see plenty of them is Lake Martin which is a short drive from Lafayette on the Breaux Bridge highway/Carmel Avenue. It has a road around the lake and places to stop and observe what used to be a bird estuary, but the birds havent returned since the hurricanes. Still a nice place to visit though.

Honestly though, if you come to Lafayette expecting a big city lifestyle I dont think its quite the right place. Acadiana Mall isnt very big although there are lots of places around to shop, and having been to the Galleria, it isnt even in the same stratosphere of quality or level of shopping. However, there is a very nice place called river ranch, that is very modern and styled a bitl ike the French Quarter, and there are country clubs and more upscale shopping in that area. While Lafayette will obviously not provide the same lifestyle as uptown Houston (it only has 100k people and about 500k metro) river ranch is probably your best bet to approximate bigger city life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana