Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:27 AM

43 posts, read 251,609 times

Advertisements

I very much like the atmosphere of the gulf region, being from Panama City Beach FL, and have been thinking of moving to Baton Rouge or somewhere close. I have chosen Baton Rouge because this seems to be where most jobs I can find in the local papers are. My husband is a trim carpenter, so where ever we go he must have work! Can anyone tell me if there is a need for this type of trade in that area, or anywhere in the southern area of Louisiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 10:38 PM

6 posts, read 31,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie88 View Post
I very much like the atmosphere of the gulf region, being from Panama City Beach FL, and have been thinking of moving to Baton Rouge or somewhere close. I have chosen Baton Rouge because this seems to be where most jobs I can find in the local papers are. My husband is a trim carpenter, so where ever we go he must have work! Can anyone tell me if there is a need for this type of trade in that area, or anywhere in the southern area of Louisiana?

for carpentry work i would go to new orleans or one of the other devastated areas.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,463,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie88 View Post
There is. Besides all the rebuilding in New Orleans, you have people from around the state (electricians, carpenters, etc) who are now working in NO to make the big bucks, which leaves those jobs open in various cities. Plus, there has been a lot of construction in BR since Katrina.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedpurpleAndgold View Post
for carpentry work i would go to new orleans or one of the other devastated areas.
We have been looking at the small town of Houma also, which is below New Orleans. Does anyone have any thoughts on this area?

Old 04-12-2007, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 32,317 times
You might want to think about Lake Charles - still rebuilding from Rita so your husband should be able to find work easily (so right on the Tx border so it increases the range of places he could find work). Also house/land prices are much lower than in BR. Also its a bit smaller but if you like outdoor stuff there is plenty to do. Best of luck in your move!

Old 04-13-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungurl79 View Post
You might want to think about Lake Charles - still rebuilding from Rita so your husband should be able to find work easily (so right on the Tx border so it increases the range of places he could find work). Also house/land prices are much lower than in BR. Also its a bit smaller but if you like outdoor stuff there is plenty to do. Best of luck in your move!
Thanks, we both love being outside, so that sounds like we would do well in an area like that. I am glad to get positive feedback!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 AM

45 posts, read 219,078 times
Baton Rouge?? I think you should make a move towards Shreveport, Bossier City. I know it's a little out of they way from the gulf about 4 hrs.. but this town is growing! Bossier city just built a boardwalk on the riverside and it's beautiful! The city itslef is growing also. A lot of new homes are being built north of bossier about 8 miles from 220, near Benton. Also in that area a lot of great stores and restaurants. Shreveport around Youree Drive seems to be the place to be in the Shreveport area. Several new stores, outlits, restarurants...great place to live. alot of movie producers have dicovered us and we have had a lot of filming here for while now. We also have great schools, colleges. This city is old but getting newer every day. Come visit!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,443 times
Red face Bad move?

NO,Not at all. My husband and I are planning a move there as soon as our daughter graduates in two years. The area we are looking at is Mandeville, on the northern edge of Lake Pontchartrain. A wonderful little city, full of possibilities and great people. They had some Katrina damage but not as much as NO and will be rebuilt soon. We also looked at Houma....we love it there but have friends in Mandeville so will look for property around there first.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:47 PM

63 posts, read 564,723 times
Default Move to Louisiana?

Baton Rouge is 80 miles from New Orleans and did not get very much Katrina damage so I am not sure how much work your husband will be able to get. Houma and Lake Charles are small towns that you must visit to get the feel of them. My family evacuated to Lake Charles from New Orleans before Katrina came. It is a slow place with not much to do,but McNeese University is there. Houma is the near Thibodaux where Nicholls State is located. I would go to New Orleans and live in Uptown area. I-10 is right there and it will be easy to go to Florida. We even have a Whole Foods Market!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:57 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,463,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassarina View Post
Baton Rouge is 80 miles from New Orleans and did not get very much Katrina damage so I am not sure how much work your husband will be able to get. Houma and Lake Charles are small towns that you must visit to get the feel of them. My family evacuated to Lake Charles from New Orleans before Katrina came. It is a slow place with not much to do,but McNeese University is there. Houma is the near Thibodaux where Nicholls State is located. I would go to New Orleans and live in Uptown area. I-10 is right there and it will be easy to go to Florida. We even have a Whole Foods Market!
However, (1) We received an influx of middle income people/professionals from NO, (2) tradesmen from around the state saw the potential for big bucks in NO, and are doing work down there, leaving existing positions open, (3) it's easier to commute to NO from BR than from any "large" Louisiana city, (4) the construction industry in BR is booming, so there is a need for tradesmen. Oh, and BR got a Whole Foods Market a couple of years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana