U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 PM

157 posts, read 514,146 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are 99% sure we will be relocating to Lafayette sometime in early 2009. We came to your city this month and fell in love with the people and what we saw. Your food is great by the way. What we need to know due to us being totally confused is where to live. I had asked this a few months ago but now I need the skinny on these areas.

Breaux Bridge; Crowley; Broussard; Vermillion, Small cities surrounding Lafayette. What are the advantages and disadvantages of these small areas. Are there different tax basis or fees. Just not certain where to start looking. Worrying that they are not welcoming to outside people from other states.

Just need some actual true advice. Will purchase around 250-275 if that helps. Loved River Ranch but not in my price range but some old subdivisions that back up to them were pretty but no idea of pricing. AND we do not want to be on top of neighbors like some of those new areas we saw where you could not push a lawnmower down the side of the house it looked like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:38 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,675,440 times
dont worry about being an outsider. Cajun people are some of the friendliest people youll meet. That is said about a lot of people, but it really is true. The food all over acadiana is dynamite and the culture and cuisine are scattered throughout all those little towns like the ones you mentioned. the only towns I really know anything about though is Rayne and Breaux Bridge. housing prices are very affordable and rent is cheap and its not a far drive from Lafayette proper. Duson is wherE I work and its absolutely tiny, but similarly friendly and close knit among its residents. I think in general all the small towns and surrounding areas are relatively affordable places to live and I cant really find fault with them.

The subdivisions close by river Ranch are very nice places too. I live in Broadmoor, which is the large rectangular subdivision a bit southwest of river ranch.

Sorry I couldnt be of more specific help but Im not an actual homeowner yet so I havent experienced mortgage taxes or fees of any kind.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:40 AM

49 posts, read 188,182 times
It all depends on what type of lifestyle you want to live. Rural, Medium size city, Small city or Town.
Lafayette and the surrounding area are all great places.

Lafayette I find is the most expensive place to live compared to the surrounding areas. (I grew up in Lafayette I no longer live there because of housing prices, houses that were selling in the 120's to 150's in the early to late 90's are now going for 200's to 300's price rage (In other words I've been priced out of Lafayette unless I want to live in one of the higher crime areas), I've watched homes double in 10 years. In Lafayette itself the south side of the city (south and west of downtown) is the newer (modern) and safest areas to live, good public & Private schools also, close to shopping and hospitals. Property taxes in Lafayette are not too expensive compared to other cities similar in size to Lafayette, Don't forget to file for your homestead exemption the first $75,000 value of your home is tax exempt that is for the entire state. You file this after closing in the Parrish courthouse where you reside you will only need to do this once. Youngsville & Broussard are the fastest growing areas and consist of newer cookie clutter subdivisions we'll call them Suburbs. Carencro, Scott & Duson areas are also growing new subdivisions poping up all over the place Schools are good in these areas also,You'll probalby get more for your money in these areas than you would in the Broussard & Youngsville areas.

I've Lived in New Iberia Pop. about 33,000 for about 6 years its about 20 min southeast of Lafayette Its quaint and has a charm of its own. Houseing prices are appriciating there but you would get more for your money, I lived in the Downtown area, I got lucky purchased my first home (at 22) a Small 1,027 sqft cottage home for $20,000 before the revitalization of the downtown Main Street. And after full $22,000 renovation I did myself, of the home and living there for 6 years my employment took me elsewere, I ended up getting $92,000 for the home What a great investment I didn't think I'd get that much for it but the realator was right.

I've also lived in the Breaux Bridge area and have family that live there, Its also growing mostly because of is short comute to Lafayette & Baton Rouge. Some families that live there one spouse works in Lafayette the other in Baton Rouge. Dont forget to attend the Zydeco Breakfast at Cafe Des Amis on Saturday mornings great food dancing & fun and take a stroll down the street and visit the local gift shops and antique stores.

I dont know much about the Crowley and Rayne areas so I wont comment on those areas.

I currently live Live in Opelousas pop about 25,000, Its a 25 min drive north on I-49 from Lafayette. Houseing is very affordable. Most people that live here usually make the 25 min comute to Lafayette daily for work as I do. There is the Spice & Music Festival, Zydeco Festival, Evangeline Downs Racino and during the spring & fall there is the Music and Market series where there is a live band and you can purchase produce and goods at the Farmers Market, made and grown by locals. I purchased two homes here right next door to each other in a mixed race older established area in the Historic District one built in the 1950's the other in the 1920's for $130,000. One 1750 sqft in great shape the other 1250 sqft in need of major renovations being the handy man that I am I should have no problem completing it myself maybe for Rental. I prefer living in Older Established downtown neigorhoods than cookie clutter newer neighborhoods where all the homes look alike (thats just my preference).

Lafayette is the Hub and big city compared to the Laid back lifestyle of the Surrounding cities and towns, Your sure to find something that fits your needs anywere in the Acadiana region. Every city and town has its pluses and negetives, and every town and city is unique in its own way. Hope this Helps
John
Opelousas, Louisiana

Old 12-26-2008, 12:59 AM

This helps John, more than you can imagine.Now after reading this I think the outskirts is where we should be. Schools are not an issue. Home prices are. I just want an area that is not crime ridden with a small town feeling. 20 minute commute is nothing compared to where I live now. Wow now I am going to have to view all areas to make the decision but your wisdom has helped so much. Thanks

Old 12-29-2008, 09:44 AM

GoreeGal

A good local website to search for homes is New Iberia and Lafayette Real Estate - Caffery Sells residential & commercial click on All Listings and you can search properties by Parish/County & price range. If you find anything that you interested in Let me know I'll be sure glad to help you and Your husband, with letting you know the area that a particular home is located Crime Rate, schools ect...

I am not affiliated with this site and have nothing to gain from it, I work in the Oilfield, not Real estate. I've lived in the Acadiana region my whole life and pretty much know about all areas.

Feel free to contact me via e-mail at
Lafcajun14@yahoo.com

Happy House Hunting
John

Old 12-31-2008, 03:54 PM

Could not get the site to load but thank you anyway

Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 AM

Caffery Real Estate, or if you click on the blue, in my previous post you should be able to access it. This forum wont let you post businesses Hopefully they post this one. Or you can Google Caffery Real Estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana