Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:51 AM

14 posts, read 87,804 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the religious tolerance is like in the area. I'm Jewish, my husband is Christian...there's no crazy KKK action in the area, is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 02:49 PM

768 posts, read 4,376,784 times
Seriously... the deep south sure does seem to have a bad reputation based on things of the past. Lafayette is fine, as are all of Louisiana's major cities.

Just be careful in really small towns. Some people in many of those tiny towns aren't very tolerant and live in the past.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:56 PM

923 posts, read 3,507,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf View Post
Just wondering what the religious tolerance is like in the area. I'm Jewish, my husband is Christian...there's no crazy KKK action in the area, is there?
You mean those "Crazy Cajuns"...Acadiennes...

Lafayette is beatiful AND historic...
99% Catholic, We Accept all...

Old 05-21-2007, 05:04 PM

14 posts, read 87,804 times
LOL Ok, I didn't mean to sound ignorant or anything...I looked around online, and did see a cross-burning somewhere out there that was tried in Lafayette, so I'm not nuts...I know these things happen still here and there. I was pretty certain it would be ok in Lafayette, but I had to check! And hey, my husband is from Tennessee, so I really don't think poorly of the south.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:42 PM

76 posts, read 506,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf View Post
Lafayette is a very tolerant, progressive city. You will find that Cajuns (Lafeyette is the heart of the Cajun triangle) are very friendly and warm people.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:47 AM

5,787 posts, read 3,570,740 times
After doing research on the nation's location paterns concerning lesbigay groups and Nader voters, Lafayette seems pretty tolerant for Louisiana (with the obvious exception of New Orleans). Even so, you shouldn't expect Berkeley, or even small city New England. Like most other medium sized cities or larger, Lafayette does have tolerant people, although this being Middle America (of a fashion), you will find your share of narrow intolerant types.

My basic advice: If at all possible, live in the city's older middle-class neighborhoods with interesting architecture (i.e. pre-World War II areas not abandoned by the middle class). The immediate area around the University of Louisiana-Lafayette (ULL) might also be an option for you.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 22,050 times
No, don't think you'll find anything here but, fun-loving cajuns!

Old 05-31-2007, 05:20 PM

37 posts, read 206,908 times
there isn't a big Jewish community, (nor protestant for that matter). I did have a jewish friend there whose kids attended the episcopal school. it's a large catholic community that is extremely friendly.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 PM

369 posts, read 1,635,644 times
Most of south Louisiana is Catholic, and most of the Protestants are Black. Both groups that were targeted by the KKK, thats why it never really got far off the ground in South Louisiana because these two groups made up the majority by alot.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 31,146 times
Default response

I find my city to be very accepting of anyone's religion. We have a Jewish cemetary off of Univeristy. many people drive by it daily and don't realize it is even there but it is beautiful. Most people dont judge in this town and if they do, as with the rest of the world, it is there loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana