Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 10,137 times

Advertisements

My family will be traveling to Lafayette soon to visit U of L. What would you say is the best part of town to stay in(safe, nice, clean, etc.), or even further, any recommendations for a specific place to stay? Price really isnt an issue and I'd like to be close to U of L, but its not a requirement. I have been looking into transferring schools to U of L, it seems to be the ideal place I'm looking for but I guess I will find out here soon!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 07:43 PM

177 posts, read 792,631 times
roseandpearl, I have stayed in the Drury at I-10 exit 101 a number of times and it is clean and it's not a bad area. It's right on the interstate but no interstate noise. There's another hotel right next to it, I think a Best Western or something, and has a Cracker Barrel on the other side - although in Lafayette you may want to look for local food instead. Rates started at around $90 if I remember correctly and that includes free cooked breakfast buffet (scrambled eggs, grits, biscuits, bacon, sausage, waffles, etc.) and 2 free cocktails from 5-7 at night. It's less than 5 minutes from U of L.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:08 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
Don't stay at any of the hotels at that exit number. The hotel themselves are not bad but there have been a rash of armed robberies of guest to those hotels recently. Those hotels are nice and beautiful but are near one of the worst areas locally for crime. Look on a map of Lafayette for Pinhook road. There are some very nice hotels there and they are not far from the university. The one closest to the university is LaQuinta on Pinhook. Besides being close to the university, it's also close to some good restaurants, major hospital, fast food, and a local grocery store. It's also very close to the airport.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 10,137 times
After looking around, I think we'll choose the LaQuinta..a quick question though, I heard an area very close to the University can be a bad area?? What's the truth in this, if any? Thanks again

Old 12-25-2008, 11:00 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
There's a road called University Ave. that runs right in front of the campus. Directly across the street from the campus is an area called "the strip". It's actually McKinley St. which is lined with bars and clubs. Not too far from there is a poor section that can have problems with crime. However, the worst areas are farther away from the campus. It's sad that with all there is to do around the campus that so many focus on "the strip". If your child does not get involved in drugs then he/she will have no reason to go to those dangerous areas. There's plenty of things to do around the campus and downtown that are safe and affordable or free.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:54 AM

157 posts, read 560,193 times
I recently stayed at the hotel (not motel) and it was great. Located I think on Pinbrook and easy to get around from that area. Nice clean and safe. Call hotel direct for best rate

Old 12-28-2008, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 34,028 times
There is a boutique hotel downtown (very close to UL) that looks nice. I think "boutique hotel" is in the name. Lots to do in walking distance.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,926 times
The Hilton Garden Inn across from the Cajun Dome. Safe area, convenient to campus, nice hotel.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:35 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,300 times
UL campus is actually quite safe. Even the area across the street near the strip is ok in the daytime and you wont encounter the trouble areas if you just stay within a street or two from University Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana