U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 05:23 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,437,258 times

Advertisements

When I worked in Texas I spent a lot of weekends over in NOLA. I want to know about other great places in LA that offer great food and culture. Places to live, work. LA is on my short list of places I want to move next so please do tell me about your area of LA and why you love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 12:55 AM

157 posts, read 514,389 times
Lafayette is fast growing, has everything a person could want, entertainment, sports, food, nice people and unemployment is one of the lowest rates in the nation.

My husband and I are transferring there soon. and we are excited after seeing what it offers.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post
Lafayette is fast growing, has everything a person could want, entertainment, sports, food, nice people and unemployment is one of the lowest rates in the nation.

My husband and I are transferring there soon. and we are excited after seeing what it offers.
Awesome, I heard a lot about it. Where are you moving from?

Old 12-26-2008, 02:52 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,070,241 times
I assume that you are independently wealthy and do not need to consider job opportunities as part of the mix.

Lots of great parts of the state, but it looks like the I-10/12 corridor from Lafayette to Mandeville would offer you the greatest variety.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:50 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,150,916 times
I live in Baton Rouge and I love it. Have lived in the city itself for about thirty years now. I've lived in the Southdowns neighborhood, Sherwood Forest, and I know live off of Old Hammond Highway near Bocage and the Towne Center. It has a small town feel, but the metro area has about 750,000 people and growing. There is so much new development and LSU is attracting so many diverse young people to the area. Downtown is being revitalized. The only real drawback is the school system. Public schools are pitiful for the most part, but there are a few magnet schools and a ton of great private school options. I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure you will be able to find what you are looking for someplace in Louisiana.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I am not wealthy but only have myself to consider. No wife, no kids...etc...So schools won't be an issue either. I have experience and am willing to work various jobs. Its Lafayette is the fastest growing. How does Lafayette compare to NOLA if at all. I been to NOLA about 3 times and despite the high crime I love the city. Certainly beats the hell outta any Texas ciy.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
The only real drawback is the school system. Public schools are pitiful for the most part
Um, did you look at your EBR tax bill this year? Mine was up almost 80%.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Thanks for the info. I am not wealthy but only have myself to consider. No wife, no kids...etc...So schools won't be an issue either. I have experience and am willing to work various jobs. Its Lafayette is the fastest growing. How does Lafayette compare to NOLA if at all. I been to NOLA about 3 times and despite the high crime I love the city. Certainly beats the hell outta any Texas ciy.
If you can put up with the crime and the outrageous traffic then NO is the place to be in LA.

Before I retired, my work took me to just about every city, big and small, in Texas, and I'd be hard-pressed to complain about places like Houston, Dallas, San Jacinto, Austin, Corpus or any place else. They're just different from New Orleans.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:41 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,201,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post

I second Lafayette. It is just the "right" size and when it comes to food and fun, I would say that it is second only to New Orleans. They even have a credible Mardi Gras parade or two there (can't compare with NOLA, though, I'm afraid. LOL).

Food????? Food?????? You wanna talk about food????? Mais, cher, it don't get no better than dat!

20yrsinBranson
(and 2 years in Louisiana!!!)

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 12-27-2008 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: typo repair

Old 12-27-2008, 06:36 PM

NOLA has a style and identity that Texas cities dont have. They are just big sprawling messes. Traffic is not as issue for me being a native NYer. Not that I like traffic but if you live in a desirable place it goes with the territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana