U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 07:25 PM

63 posts, read 259,672 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Alexandria, LA. adn there doesnt seem to be a Craigslist here. We moved into a house half the size of our old one in FL. and brought tons of brand new stuff and also closed a construction business. How in the world do people get the word out and sell things here? When is the best time for a yard sale? Is there a craiglsist kind of things that is named something else and I just dont know about it???
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,223,274 times
Many areas have weekly sales papers that are free to pick up. They sell ad space. Here in Lafayette we have the Quick Quarter. In some cities it's called the Dandy Dime. Local newspapers take ad space all the time for garage sales or private item sales. Then there's always Ebay.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,218 times
i had the same shock when i moved in shreveport. where in the world is craigslist? a handful of posts a day? it's all about people. they are not tech inclined and tend to be slow to change.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 PM

Not having it is awful! It makes yard sales and all the trouble a thing of the past! If you have something to sell you put it on Craigslist and someone usually calls within a day. If you are looking for somethign specific you type it in Craigslist and there is usually one for sale. It's wonderful-now how in the world can Alexandria get on there and get with the program? I have put it in under suggest a new city, but it's not working. How do Craigslist get started in new areas?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 PM

2,796 posts, read 6,874,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelback View Post
i had the same shock when i moved in shreveport. where in the world is craigslist? a handful of posts a day? it's all about people. they are not tech inclined and tend to be slow to change.
You are not kidding! My friends and associates think I'm crazy for spending time on the computer as I do. But frankly Shreveport never seemed up with the times always preferring instead to live in the past.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 AM

474 posts, read 1,288,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
You are not kidding! My friends and associates think I'm crazy for spending time on the computer as I do. But frankly Shreveport never seemed up with the times always preferring instead to live in the past.
I am a native Shreveporter, but have been away for many years! Talk about culture shock moving back home! These drivers could never make it in big city traffic! Regarding the Craigslist, I too, have noticed it hasn't made it down here yet! Perhaps you could send an email to the Craigslist folks and see if they could add Alexandria. I think there is a link on the screen when you select the "city". Good luck and as we keep telling ourselves - patience grasshopper! At least it's better than flipping them the bird! LOL They would probably wave back.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 AM

772 posts, read 4,096,930 times
We recently tried to sell a piece of exercise equipment on Craigslist. Had it priced well and just wanted to unload it. We got one reply, and then the day the guy was supposed to come look at it, we never heard from him again. Called him, he never called back.

Craigslist is awesome in larger cities, but here, people are just behind the times. I'm a computer person, which is amazing for having been raised in a computer-less household. But once I got out into the corporate world, computers became a part of me and I got into them. I love them and have considered getting out of my current career field where I've been for a decade and getting into something more tech-related. Perhaps CIC is just what we need to change the mindset of many in this area. Having that large, technology-based building sitting beside I-20, with locals passing it every day, might serve as a reminder to some as to where we COULD and SHOULD be.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM

474 posts, read 1,288,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
We recently tried to sell a piece of exercise equipment on Craigslist. Had it priced well and just wanted to unload it. We got one reply, and then the day the guy was supposed to come look at it, we never heard from him again. Called him, he never called back.

Craigslist is awesome in larger cities, but here, people are just behind the times. I'm a computer person, which is amazing for having been raised in a computer-less household. But once I got out into the corporate world, computers became a part of me and I got into them. I love them and have considered getting out of my current career field where I've been for a decade and getting into something more tech-related. Perhaps CIC is just what we need to change the mindset of many in this area. Having that large, technology-based building sitting beside I-20, with locals passing it every day, might serve as a reminder to some as to where we COULD and SHOULD be.
You are so right MetroGuy! Even my 83 year old step father uses his computer! On the other hand, we have an 82 year old grandmother who just in the past six months has let us put an answering machine in her house. Of course, she doesn't how to use it! LOL When we moved back home, I sold almost 25% of our stuff on Craigslist and made a nice profit. Didn't have to pay for a classified ad either. Maybe we can change the mindset of the locals! Thanks for the inspiring words.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 PM

I don't even consider myself that computer savvy! I email, surf the web, etc.. but nothing too technical. I have to say though, that before moving to LA. I sold just about everything we listed on Craigslist-decent prices, no ad fees, etc.. It was wonderful. I would post it and usually the same day or next someone would call and come and it would be gone! I'm going crazy without it.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:43 PM

772 posts, read 4,096,930 times
Craigslist is wonderful, no doubt. And as you mentioned, one doesn't even need to be very tech savvy to use it. It's a great tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or