U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM

2,878 posts, read 2,604,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geostud View Post
I graduated from St. Louis HS three years ago and moved to Chicago for college. There is absolutely nothing to do for a college-aged or young professional except get drunk at some sleazy bar. My sister felt the same way; she relocated to west Colorado.
In chicago??? I'm suprised, I mean that's pretty much what you do here in LC b/c there is nothing to do unless you want to go to the movies every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 11:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,283 times
Yes all the negativity on Lake Charles is true. As a resident there for 20 years I was thrilled to move out. The only entertainment worth going to is Lauberge, and if you call Contraband days or any of the sleezy fests entertainment, then im sure you will love this city. There is NO music scene here, and while a few places such as Luna's have tried, it keeps failing cause people here just wont support new forms of entertainment. This town is so conservative and hates change. The local stores can't stay open for long b/c people rather shop at Wal-Mart here. I can't even enjoy having a few beers somewhere without having LCPD or Sherrifs department setting up checkpoints everywhere. I was sooo happy to get the heck outta LC and move to a real city like New Orleans where nobody cares about each others business unlike the LC. Its no wonder people call this city the "Dead End Chuck".

Old 07-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oimate84 View Post
Yes all the negativity on Lake Charles is true. As a resident there for 20 years I was thrilled to move out. The only entertainment worth going to is Lauberge, and if you call Contraband days or any of the sleezy fests entertainment,The black heritage festival was actually pretty good. But as for mardi gras, when JENNINGS and other little places have a better celebration than you there is a problem. then im sure you will love this city. There is NO music scene here, and while a few places such as Luna's have tried, it keeps failing cause people here just wont support new forms of entertainment.I think the Porch Coffeehouse has music on certain nights and they usually do pretty well. This town is so conservative and hates change. The local stores can't stay open for long b/c people rather shop at Wal-Mart here. I can't even enjoy having a few beers somewhere without having LCPD or Sherrifs department setting up checkpoints everywhere. I was sooo happy to get the heck outta LC and move to a real city like New Orleans where nobody cares about each others business unlike the LC. Its no wonder people call this city the "Dead End Chuck".

It's actually our sad ass mayor and administration that doesnt want change. Many of the residents want some stuff added(while still preserving the laid back feel), and I personally wish there were more of a jazz scene down here. Maybe when the revitilazation happens(in 2100 at this rate) we will get that. Why not develop in some of the surrounding town such as Iowa(prounced like Iowa but the wa is prounounced "way" for those who don't know LA). Now I hear that the appeals court wants to build a new court where the old sears building was. I pray in the name of Jesus that that doesnt fall through b/c that would be such a waste of valuable real estate. I've come to the conclusion that most of us would be able to do a FAR better job than our slow mayor. The administration is an absolute joke.

As for the alcohol thing, I personally hate beer, but I enjoy an occasional glass of wine, but I was on my way home one night I was driving on elliot road, there was a goddamn police check. Asked me if I had anything to drink(I hate gatorade) and if I was on any medicine that would impair my driving. What this city needs to do to grow(as someone said earlier) is annex some of these census-designanted places surrounding the lake area. You know those that have LC adresses, such as Lebleu, Manchester, and Moss Bluss(I mean they could still retain their names, but they would be incorporated communities).

Can I ask where you moved to? And how do you like it?

Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 AM

I think it's possible that they may be doing something what that old property that pinnacle entertainment bought along the lake front b/c I saw that they were selling all of that old furniture in that abandoned hotel a couple of days ago. Either they are demolishing the hotel or they are putting it up for sale. What they need to do is tear down that old parking garage that is no longer usable.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:02 PM

LOL, I said I hate gatorade, I meant to say I HAD gatorade.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 PM

91 posts, read 213,976 times
just got to move into a good neigtood

Old 08-29-2010, 12:02 AM

what neighborhood is that?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:03 PM

I know kirkman and fall st area is not the best neighborhood

Old 09-19-2010, 09:10 PM

Oak Park is good but a lot of houses there is getting rob. I talk to some one who live in that areA AND HE TOLD ME PEOPLE FROM 12st and those streets around 12th close to kirkman and bank st is comeing over to rob them. cops caught some of the thives.
There a lot of good neighborhoods in lake charles but i new here as i moved from Lafayatte the first of this year.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:21 AM

What's your price range? I know they are building some new town homes by st patricks hospital. Also, 3rd off of third avenue they just build some new affordable housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana