U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 AM

66 posts, read 126,199 times

Advertisements

I lived in Lake Charles for three years and absolutely hated it. I had no idea you could literally hate a PLACE until then. My brother hated it; my two sisters hated it; my mom hated it. My dad seemed all right with it, but he had a less stressful job compared to what he'd had in the military. So five out of six of us hated it. It's true that nothing ever changes there. Nothing is improved upon and it's just.... not a good place to be, I think.

If you've lived there your WHOLE life and know everybody, it's a decent place. But moving there is a bad idea. It's really small, there's no military bases, not a GOOD, DECENT university. McNeese is incredibly snobby and very cruel to transfer students and you will LITERALLY get told stuff like, "I don't know how you did things in -insert name of state you came from-, but things are different here." Nobody outside of Louisiana and Eastern Texas has even heard of that university. LSU, sure. McNeese? No.

We had relatives there and it was still a miserable experience all around. The schools were also insanely weird/strict. One of my sisters, after leaving the bathroom, had a teacher tell her to take off her jacket and when she found some of the shirt in back untucked, she gave her a detention. My sisters said they also frequently checked their socks at the middle school they attended. They had to wear a solid color and couldn't mismatch them. (Yes, because SOCKS are that important. Geeze, you'd think there WAS a military base with that attitude)

I mean, seriously, I live in FAIRBANKS FREAKIN' ALASKA NOW. And, you know what? It was negative 26 degrees the other day and it was COLD and I was like, "Thank GOD I'm not in Lake Charles." I would rather suffer through negative 40 degree weather than be there. I still beat myself up every time I think I left Tucson, Arizona to go and live in that hellhole nestled in Louisiana, or as my cousin frequently called it, Lousy-ana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 08:55 AM

14,211 posts, read 20,570,300 times
When you come from any other real city, to Lake Charles, of course you won't be happy. My middle school and highschool were the same in BR, Louisiana.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:49 PM

2,878 posts, read 2,605,850 times
McNeese is a decent university from my experience. I like that they have an instructional technology program.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:42 PM

431 posts, read 964,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolaida View Post
I lived in Lake Charles for three years and absolutely hated it. I had no idea you could literally hate a PLACE until then. My brother hated it; my two sisters hated it; my mom hated it. My dad seemed all right with it, but he had a less stressful job compared to what he'd had in the military. So five out of six of us hated it. It's true that nothing ever changes there. Nothing is improved upon and it's just.... not a good place to be, I think.

If you've lived there your WHOLE life and know everybody, it's a decent place. But moving there is a bad idea. It's really small, there's no military bases, not a GOOD, DECENT university. McNeese is incredibly snobby and very cruel to transfer students and you will LITERALLY get told stuff like, "I don't know how you did things in -insert name of state you came from-, but things are different here." Nobody outside of Louisiana and Eastern Texas has even heard of that university. LSU, sure. McNeese? No.

We had relatives there and it was still a miserable experience all around. The schools were also insanely weird/strict. One of my sisters, after leaving the bathroom, had a teacher tell her to take off her jacket and when she found some of the shirt in back untucked, she gave her a detention. My sisters said they also frequently checked their socks at the middle school they attended. They had to wear a solid color and couldn't mismatch them. (Yes, because SOCKS are that important. Geeze, you'd think there WAS a military base with that attitude)

I mean, seriously, I live in FAIRBANKS FREAKIN' ALASKA NOW. And, you know what? It was negative 26 degrees the other day and it was COLD and I was like, "Thank GOD I'm not in Lake Charles." I would rather suffer through negative 40 degree weather than be there. I still beat myself up every time I think I left Tucson, Arizona to go and live in that hellhole nestled in Louisiana, or as my cousin frequently called it, Lousy-ana.
I've learned that it's a far better thing to just keep your mouth shut!

Thanks for dispiriting residents of Lake Charles.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 AM

Really, if you can't say anything nice, then just don't say anything at all.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,667 times
I have lived all over the country , and learned that there are miserable people everywhere you go. People in New Jersey or New York hate the cold ,and wished they lived in Florida. People in Florida often hate the rain, and wish they lived in California. People in California often hate the crime and earthquakes, and wish they lived in New York. It's true that the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. So, the people who truly appreciate Lake Charles are mostly going to be us Rajun Cajuns who absolutely love the culture. Btw, I was born and raised in the Sulphur/Lake Charles area and am proud of it! You won't find friendlier people anywhere! You want to meet rude or snobby people ,then go to New York. Trust me, I lived there for 3 years. We love the food, the culture, the people, the music, ect. Louisiana is like a whole different country unlike anywhere else, whith a unique culture. We love da Bayou!!

Last edited by RajnCajnn; 03-13-2011 at 01:07 AM..

Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 AM

431 posts, read 964,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajnCajnn View Post
I have lived all over the country , and learned that there are miserable people everywhere you go. People in New Jersey or New York hate the cold ,and wished they lived in Florida. People in Florida often hate the rain, and wish they lived in California. People in California often hate the crime and earthquakes, and wish they lived in New York. It's true that the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. So, the people who truly appreciate Lake Charles are mostly going to be us Rajun Cajuns who absolutely love the culture. Btw, I was born and raised in the Sulphur/Lake Charles area and am proud of it! You won't find friendlier people anywhere! You want to meet rude or snobby people ,then go to New York. Trust me, I lived there for 3 years. We love the food, the culture, the people, the music, ect. Louisiana is like a whole different country unlike anywhere else, whith a unique culture. We love da Bayou!!
I always love positive posts such as yours. Bravo!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,363 times
Actually, its better to have grown up in Lake Charles and brag about it when you get imported to some place like Palm Springs, CA or the like. Otherwise you'll probably be treated like an outsider in LC unless your second language is French. My family is still in LC but I'm glad I got away. I have an affinity for money and power, but LC is a great place for family oriented life and to entrench morals and values into a person's character. Growing up there definitely makes you confident in other places where the average childhood is shallow and superficial. I sing, I dance, network engineer, drive nice cars, live in big houses, and help people wherever I go - people NEED me, and can't live without me. Thank you mom, dad, sis, and Lake Charles, for making me the awesome guy I am today.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:19 AM

Lake Charles considers annexations - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana
Lake Charles considers annexations to expand population base, fees | The Republic

Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 AM

14,211 posts, read 20,570,300 times
...interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana