Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 04:07 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

Changes in newspaper begin Monday | theadvertiser.com | The Advertiser
The above was in today's paper. As it is, the Monday and Tuesday edition are only two thin sections and now they're announcing reduced content while maintaining their $0.75 per paper rate for Monday-Saturday. They are owned by the Gannett, which also owns the USA Today. If you move to the Lafayette Area, subscribe to the Baton Rouge newspaper, The Advocate. Even though it's a Baton Rouge paper they have much more local and state news for a lower rate. The articles are much more informative and well written than the Advertiser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,153 times
Better yet - view it on-line and save money! Not to mention saving a tree or two. Let's go Green Louisiana!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM

We cannot access the internet at home right now. We had to get rid of our computer and computer desk to make room for my wife's 83 year old father so we can care for him. Even if we had a laptop, which we can't afford now, to use to access the internet, isn't physically able to read online or surf the internet. His hands shake constantly. He manages to hold the newspaper steady enough to read the obituaries. That's the part of the paper he wants to read the most in order to see if anyone he knows has died. He just wouldn't be able to work a laptop. Took him years to understand and get the hang of using a mouse. If it weren't for him we would subscribe to the Baton Rouge paper, the Advocate, which is still $0.50 per issue and has much better writing and a full content paper. Only problem is they don't have local obituaries.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
We cannot access the internet at home right now. We had to get rid of our computer and computer desk to make room for my wife's 83 year old father so we can care for him. Even if we had a laptop, which we can't afford now, to use to access the internet, isn't physically able to read online or surf the internet. His hands shake constantly. He manages to hold the newspaper steady enough to read the obituaries. That's the part of the paper he wants to read the most in order to see if anyone he knows has died. He just wouldn't be able to work a laptop. Took him years to understand and get the hang of using a mouse. If it weren't for him we would subscribe to the Baton Rouge paper, the Advocate, which is still $0.50 per issue and has much better writing and a full content paper. Only problem is they don't have local obituaries.
Well, here's another option. Subscribe to just the Sunday paper. They should list the obit for the entire week. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Nope, they don't do that. The obits change daily. If we had only the Sunday paper we'd miss all the obits from the entire week.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:48 AM

38 posts, read 104,331 times
Wasn't it the Advertiser that forced ULL students to pay for a subscription? I remember a few years back when I was a student they tried to add an amendment to tuition fees that would have every student paying a dollar or two for a "subscription". The amount of papers provided for the students was well below the student population. It got voted down the first time in the student election, but they put it on the freshman ballot (where voter turnout is low) the next time around, and I believe it passed.

If I'm a college student and I want a paper, I can walk to the Circle K or whatever and get one. Or go to the library and read it for free. I'll never, ever pay for a subscription to the Advertiser. Don't force me to pay for something I don't need.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 AM

Only reason why we have a subscription is my 83 year old father-in-law. He mostly reads the obituaries to see if anyone he knew died. When he either moves out or dies we'll cancel the subscription entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana