Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:21 PM

63 posts, read 279,519 times

Advertisements

We went online after moving here and found out we needed to get new tags and licenses right away, so we did. Neither of these agencies ever mentioned a state inspection. I thought those things had been done away with years ago in every state. We just got a $180 ticket for not having that stupid waste of money inspection sticker. I realize ignorance of the law is no excuse, but it would have been nice if the license office or tag office had mentioned this (it would also be nice if the state is going to take money from all it's residents for making sure their horn works in their car they would at least use the money on better roads.) Just venting-but anyone moving here should know this becuase no one tells you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,445 times
I guess living here I never realized some states don't do it. But yes, Louisiana definitely does. Sorry about that, but keep in mind the inspection is only $10! Though in your case it's going to cost you that plus $180 and I am sorry to hear that. So every year, spend that $10 and don't get caught with your pants down. I know I should practice what I preach, considering my sticker expired a year and a half ago. But it's going to cost me $350 plus the inspection because of my windshield (a special thanks to the trucking companies in the area for the rocks!)

Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 PM

63 posts, read 279,519 times
Yeah, it just would have been nice if someone had told us. A large sign on the wall in one of those offices or something! It seems so ridiculous that the law would interfere with the condition of your vehicle. I mean, of course you will get a ticket if your lights are out or something so it should be your own responsibility to go get those things taken care of-not an inspection to be told your lights dont' work and then take care of it. I mean, if I cant' figure out that my lights are out or my horn doesnt' work then should I really be driving??? No, not all states do this. Some leave it up to the individual to take care of their own vehicles.....
Anyway-$180 for not stopping in at a garage to be told my vehicle was in good working order. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Try moving to California where your vehicle will more than likely fail inspection because of their extremely strict emission standards.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Well, regardless of how silly it may seem, it is the law, and there are countless dumb laws everywhere. I am sure you can think of a few that were in place back where you used to live. I apologize sincerely for them neglecting to inform you. Best of luck to you and hopefully your negative experiences in LA will be kept to a minimum in the future.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Many states still require vehicle emissions...

Delaware; District of Columbia; Hawaii; Louisiana; Maine; Massachusetts; Mississippi; Missouri; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New York; North Carolina; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; and West Virginia have emissions testing to my knowledge...

Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayle View Post
Yeah, it just would have been nice if someone had told us. A large sign on the wall in one of those offices or something!
How long were you in Louisiana before you went through emissions and got your plates ?

I was just wondering how you didn't notice every car in the state with the inspection sticker in the front window ?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Many states still require vehicle emissions...

Delaware; District of Columbia; Hawaii; Louisiana; Maine; Massachusetts; Mississippi; Missouri; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New York; North Carolina; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; and West Virginia have emissions testing to my knowledge...
Mississippi does not require emissions testing. Tennessee only requires the test in 6 counties.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Mississippi does not require emissions testing. The vehicle inspection here is only $5 and looks at lights, horn, glass, wipers and tires.
The info I looked at must be outdated.

Our inspections in Tennessee are $9 and all they check is the cars cpu and the pressure on your gas cap.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayle View Post
We went online after moving here and found out we needed to get new tags and licenses right away, so we did. Neither of these agencies ever mentioned a state inspection. I thought those things had been done away with years ago in every state. We just got a $180 ticket for not having that stupid waste of money inspection sticker. I realize ignorance of the law is no excuse, but it would have been nice if the license office or tag office had mentioned this (it would also be nice if the state is going to take money from all it's residents for making sure their horn works in their car they would at least use the money on better roads.) Just venting-but anyone moving here should know this becuase no one tells you.
It would have been nice if of one of the agencies would have told you. But I think so many municipalities are strapped for cash right now, that they are chomping at the bit to dole out fines. I've noticed that the 5-10 over speed limit grace in some areas is gone. Town cops will do anything to hand out tickets. It's revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana