U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:50 PM

14,198 posts, read 20,549,751 times

Advertisements

La Tech is in Ruston, different parishes right? And people in Baton Rouge aren't snobby, people will be people wherever you go. If you were on Plank Rd or on Evangilne you wouldn't have said we are snobby people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:48 PM

494 posts, read 1,480,665 times
I wouldn't say we are snobby. BR people for the most part are great. I think what your're witnessing though is a lot of pride. Some BR residents really like their "wannabe-city", and think of it more highly than they should, but that's okay. With that said though, you will find your "nasties" everywhere.

I've only been to the north a few times, so I can't really comment how I view them. But from the few times that I have been there, they were generally good people. I also do get the feeling that they are closer to people in Texas though. I mean there's a reason why there's a huge Dallas Cowboys contingent up there!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
I wouldn't say we are snobby. BR people for the most part are great. I think what your're witnessing though is a lot of pride. Some BR residents really like their "wannabe-city", and think of it more highly than they should, but that's okay. With that said though, you will find your "nasties" everywhere.

I've only been to the north a few times, so I can't really comment how I view them. But from the few times that I have been there, they were generally good people. I also do get the feeling that they are closer to people in Texas though. I mean there's a reason why there's a huge Dallas Cowboys contingent up there!
I mostly find that BR people sre stuck in time having a hard time realizing that its a big city.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I mostly find that BR people sre stuck in time having a hard time realizing that its a big city.

Only in terms of population; otherwise, you could still consider BR to be a city that isn't capable of living up to its potential atm. So what you get down here is people thinking we are bigger and better than we are, when that isn't the case at all.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
Only in terms of population; otherwise, you could still consider BR to be a city that isn't capable of living up to its potential atm. So what you get down here is people thinking we are bigger and better than we are, when that isn't the case at all.
I find it to be the opposite, we aren't capable of reaching our potential because people don't think we are capable, if everyone thought this place was better than it was, then we wouldn't be improving or we would have already done so.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,334,833 times
I think that's the general conception/misconception of BR from the outside. I know that many people here have this idea that people in BR have "airs" about themselves in regard to the rest of the state. Just like some other parts of the state feel like we're big-headed and feel entitled. In reality we just don't care about anyone else. Here's an old thread I started a long time ago that kind of revealed perceptions around the state. Some were pretty baseless or down right ignorant, but it's entertaining at the least. //www.city-data.com/forum/louis...mosity-no.html

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 04-13-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 01:46 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,130,969 times
I find BR people to be very down to earth and friendly, but LSU has a degree of pretentiousness to it.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:19 PM

In relation to the rest of the state, we probably do seem introverted. But what is this based on? A few people? This forum?

Old 04-13-2011, 04:20 PM

2,796 posts, read 6,875,982 times
North and South La in many ways are very different and in many ways similar. When I go to BR I notice the hustle bustle and even in Lafayette it seems like people are very busy (not meaning unfriendly). The pace up north is slower. Politically they are similar as I haven't noticed a real north/south divide in elections in many many years.

New Orleans? I don't think I ever see the real people of the city there as I am in those tourist areas usually. It seems like fun down there to me. I don't exactly know why some people like to downgrade NO as they do (talking about in this state) other than maybe it is more morally liberal which of course puts off the ultra religious (Hmmmm).

Anyway, I seldom buy what I see. Taking something at face value is a mistake because if you haven't really experienced it for a length of time, you probably got it wrong. BR is certainly ok in my book; I have been enough times to become enlightened with it. Many people I have run into seem a tad more aloof than I'm used to but when they hear you are from Shreve their response always seems to be "thats Arkansas or that's Texas". Well its by default since we border those states so naturally there will be some cultural bleedover. One person can seldom ever change the thoughts and ways of thousands or millions of people so unless it is absolutely important it is just a waste of time

Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
In relation to the rest of the state, we probably do seem introverted. But what is this based on? A few people? This forum?

I was basing it purely on personal experiences. I'm not saying we carry ourselves like we're the best thing since slice bread, but many of us are delusional about the limitations of the city. That was my point kinda. Not to say we aren't trying to improve though.

With that said though, BR people are still awesome, and I'll even go on to say I like Louisiana people in general. You may run into a few oddballs, but even the odd ones tend to be lovable... That's what I like about this state. Everyone mostly friendly no matter where you are north or south.

If I were to leave, that would be the thing I'd miss most. I don't think there's a replacement for the hospitality shown in most parts of Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or