U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 PM

24 posts, read 73,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
An extension of Texas is what I've always heard.
I grew up in Northeast Texas and always heard that that area of Texas is an extension of Louisiana. It's nothing like the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM

772 posts, read 4,096,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLaTexana View Post
I grew up in Northeast Texas and always heard that that area of Texas is an extension of Louisiana. It's nothing like the rest of the state.
No doubt the cultures of the two states mix quite interestingly in the Ark-La-Tex. Are you from Texarkana or Atlanta, or somewhere up that way? Anyway, the part of Texas nearest northwest Louisiana seem to have a lot of Louisiana influence. Even the Houston area got a lot of its influence from Louisiana, all the way down to calling their city's drainage ditches "bayous" like we do here in Shreveport-Bossier. But at the same time, Shreveport-Bossier has a lot of Texas influence. It's quite a mix up this way, that's for sure.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:51 PM

24 posts, read 73,345 times
I lived in Elysian Fields for about 10 years. It really is a different culture in Northeast Texas and Northwest Louisiana.

My mother's family is from the Port Arthur area and they moved there in the 30s to find work after living in the New Iberia area for something like 100 or 200 years. A lot of Cajun families transplanted to Houston or Beaumont/Port Arthur to work in the oil refineries during and after the Depression because oil paid well. There's a lot of Cajun influence down there, a lot of Thibodaux and Fontenot families... There really is a shared mix of culture in East Texas and West Louisiana, but there is nothing like any of that here in Central Texas. Nobody here can make a roux to save their life!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:47 PM

11 posts, read 33,082 times
I got three degrees from ULM. It is a great school! It's small enough that you make some great friends and connections with faculty. The president of the university has really made some dramatic improvements. The dorms are now very nice ($50 million project). The people are down to earth and friendly. There's plenty to do in the area, and the campus is very nicely situated on the bayou (which is one reason the ski team who practices there has been national champions for many years). ULM is definitely a good choice!!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 PM

16,434 posts, read 19,644,025 times
The difference is huge. Go there and see for yourself. Visit Monroe and then go to New Orleans.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 AM

18 posts, read 56,269 times
I'm born and raised in Lafayette and we lived in Shreveport for six excruciating long months. I will never, ever live there again. Now, that's not to say Shreveport's a bad town, because it's not, but it's so painstakingly different from South Louisiana that I missed the culture of the people way too much.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:17 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,979,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy View Post
I'm born and raised in Lafayette and we lived in Shreveport for six excruciating long months. I will never, ever live there again. Now, that's not to say Shreveport's a bad town, because it's not, but it's so painstakingly different from South Louisiana that I missed the culture of the people way too much.
Bottom line of the "North vs South" debate is it all matters what type of place you'd like to live in. I'm content with BR, although Lafayette is pretty nice, too.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 PM

32 posts, read 124,050 times
North Louisiana is like the true south. Things move a little slower and are more laid back. People are very friendly and treat you like family. Of course, there are downfalls as well (though I won't elaborate on them as I LOVE North Louisiana). You do have a certain amount of closed-mindedness to deal with.

South Louisiana is like its own country, if you ask me. I don't find the people to be as friendly, and to me, it has been very hard to get to know people in this area because most were born and raised here. Of course, the food is amazing and the culture is unique, but I miss Shreveport!

As far as schools go, I'm not a big fan of Monroe. In North Louisiana, look into La Tech or LSU-S first. Northwestern is good as well. If you're looking for a private university with a good liberal arts program, Centenary in Shreveport. I would say that Tulane and Loyola in New Orleans are top-notch, but I haven't been very impressed with anything else down here. I'm not a big LSU fan only because it is such a party school, but I am sure you can get a great education there as well. ;-)

Old 03-16-2009, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 9,491 times
Born and raised in south Louisiana (New Iberia) and now living in Shreveport. Honestly, north of I-10 is VERY different culturally! Food, hospitality and yes even weather! I have to agree with the notion of North Louisiana being very influenced by Arkansas and Texas. Not that it is a bad influence, but VERY different.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM

38 posts, read 93,109 times
I am also a south Louisiana expat living in north Louisiana. I appreciate the differences between the two regions, and I believe that the attitude that you find in an area is generally the attitude that you take with you--"No matter where you go, there you are."

I've had a few people make unprovoked bigoted remarks towards me after discovering I'm from south Louisiana. Excluding that very small minority of people, I find the people here to be warm, friendly and helpful.

This is a great article on the different cultural regions of the state:

Louisiana Folklife: Our Tradtional Cultures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or