U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 06:53 PM

157 posts, read 514,333 times

Advertisements

Has Louisiana caught up with the rest of the country and facing the same challenges with foreclosures and falling prices. I read in Lafayette where homes were on the market longer, but is it anticapted things are going to get worse? Can;t understand why Louisiana is not as affected as other states. Can someone explain this and also add input about falling prices.

If there are any realtors can you jump in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,980,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post
Has Louisiana caught up with the rest of the country and facing the same challenges with foreclosures and falling prices. I read in Lafayette where homes were on the market longer, but is it anticapted things are going to get worse? Can;t understand why Louisiana is not as affected as other states. Can someone explain this and also add input about falling prices.

If there are any realtors can you jump in.
Things have softened some, but we're doing fine. I think there will be more softening if oil prices stay low.

As to why we're not as affected, the answer is very simple: we didn't boom like Las Vegas, Florida, and Phoenix, so we don't have an issue with housing bubbles. Plus, in hurricane ravaged areas, some homes are not in good condition, which reduces the supply some relative to the demand.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 AM

794 posts, read 3,066,916 times
Oh, it's coming. Yes, houses are staying on the market longer. And I've heard from a friend/realtor here that the crash is coming. She said that the signs have become more evident in the past month. I pretty much anticipated it because I just can't believe that a handful of states can be completely immune from what's going to turn out to be a pretty bad recession. But I am surprised at how much the state government and leadership have sugar coated the coming crash. They play it off as if we'll manage. And maybe we will, but people should at least be prepared. It's not going to be business as usual. That's just my thought.

Hurricane recovery, construction and high oil really has softened our blow so far.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 AM

191 posts, read 627,904 times
Both NO and BR made Forbes top 25 strongest housing markets - not that I put much stock in their lists but it's nice to see those two areas highlighted.

In Depth: America's 25 Strongest Housing Markets - Forbes.com

Old 01-18-2009, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,209 times
after Katrina prices went up like crazy, it seems inevitable that they'd come down eventually, especially with the economic disaster we're having.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,980,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibodeaux View Post
after Katrina prices went up like crazy, it seems inevitable that they'd come down eventually, especially with the economic disaster we're having.
And, in fact, the Advocate had an article here recently about home sales slowing in BR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana