Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:32 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I suppose after living here, I see the city as a basic rectangle or pentagon of 4-5 main roads. Its VERY easy to navigate to me. Frankly I get confused as heck with grid layouts.
How? 3 lefts and you are back where you started. Cities with twisting and winding roads confuse the heck out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
How? 3 lefts and you are back where you started. Cities with twisting and winding roads confuse the heck out of me.
Me too. I am one of these OCD wierdos who HAS to know what direction I am going in or I am just a nervous wreck!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:46 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Me too. I am one of these OCD wierdos who HAS to know what direction I am going in or I am just a nervous wreck!
Hey, nothing wrong with OCD! Actually I'm high-functioning autistic with many OCD traits but not actually a qualifying OCD.

I agree about the roads, grid patterns are so much nicer. I don't see how anyone can get lost in a grid. Newer subdivisions or sections of town with windy roads really frustrate me. Bossier City is continuing its long grid pattern by extending some north-south thoroughfares further south toward Elm Grove and north into Benton. No need for curvy roads.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
I like cities with grid patterns. They are common in the Midwest/Great Plains. With relatively level areas and many rural areas having country roads exactly one mile apart, grid patterns work out very well here. Cities such as Omaha, Wichita, Oklahoma City, and a good chunk of Sioux Falls, Denver, and Des Moines have grid patterns with the major roads. Sioux Falls. I like straight roads and having east-west, north-south streets. The roads out in the east coast seemed wierd to me. I can function OK in areas without a grid, but may take more thought. Normally, I have a good sense of direction.

It depends on the lay of the land. If the land is very hilly, a grid pattern may be tougher to attain and may be less practical than other layouts. A lot of it comes to city/town planning. Some cities do an excellent job of urban planning and some need work (to put it kindly). Good planning will save cities money in the long run with infrastructure and governmental costs (better use of resources and more effient use of land and efficient movement of traffic).

Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
I can see how driving through Alexandria could be confusing, especially with the traffic circle at the intersection of MacArthur and Masonic Drives. Pineville is probably even more confusing to outsiders and also people who live in Alexandria but rarely go to Pineville.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 AM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
Grid patterns are much easier to navigate, especially when combined with good light synchronization.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:44 AM

DOTD needs to take those new service roads between Bluebonnet and Siegen and expand them all between Essen and Highland (on both sides of the freeway). If there were service roads all along that stretch of interstate, I would rarely ever get on I-10 south of the split.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:13 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
DOTD needs to take those new service roads between Bluebonnet and Siegen and expand them all between Essen and Highland (on both sides of the freeway). If there were service roads all along that stretch of interstate, I would rarely ever get on I-10 south of the split.
What was the point of those? and why is one side elevated since it seems that there is no land on the east side of it to extend the little street that goes to the mall? I'm sure it has a purpose but it just looks so unessecary. It looks like LaDOTD try to mimick TxDOT but failed miserably.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
It was done in attempt to relieve interstate traffic between Bluebonnet and Seigen, which are two very popular exits in Baton Rouge. People who make a trip to the mall on Bluebonnet will often go make stops on Seigen as well (Target, Lowes, Wal-Mart, Sams, restuarants, etc.). I like the idea. I have always thought that lack of service roads were detremental to Baton Rouge, so I am glad to have these.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
What was the point of those? and why is one side elevated since it seems that there is no land on the east side of it to extend the little street that goes to the mall? I'm sure it has a purpose but it just looks so unessecary. It looks like LaDOTD try to mimick TxDOT but failed miserably.
You are correct. Any future service roads should be done exactly like TxDOT. I can easily navigate Texas freeways.

The elevated section was mainly to level the road to the bridge needed to cross the interstate to connect to the mall area. It's a little bit of an eye sore and I beleive they used a lot more ROW than they needed, but it serves its purpose. Too bad the cops like setting up little speed traps on the EB service road. They should be more worried about the drivers who don't know how or are not courteous enough to merge correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana