U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,522 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

I have a small family, a husband and a daughter, and we are originally from Arabi, LA but were relocated after Katrina to Alexandria, LA. We are completely sick and tired of living here, mainly we have no family and no family means no help with a new baby. Also, we want to be closer to where we grew up, to have a more family oriented environment, and to actually be able to go to Mardi Gras and other festivities without having to plan MONTHS in advance We are thinking of somewhere on the NorthShore, but are not entirely sure where to move. We would prefer no one even mention Slidell, because almost everyone we've ever known has moved there and it seems to be extremely overpopulated for our tastes. But we have been considering Ponchatoula, Covington, Mandeville, etc. The other issue though is that we are currently on a limited income, I emphasize the currently. We are looking for a nice houseto rent or even a trailer with at least 3 bedrooms and is in a good area. Also, I need to know if there are any decent paying jobs for my husband as he would have to leave his current employer. My job can easily be done anywhere in the state. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 AM

167 posts, read 776,362 times
All of those areas are overpopulated and expensive now because of Katrina. I think you might have a hard time finding something to rent that is affordable. Lots of people are in your position- want to go home but no jobs and no affordable housing. I would suggest securing a job before you move anywhere in this economy. However, people who have their house up for sale may be willing to take in a renter if it has been on the market for awhile. I am partial to Mandeville since I grew up there, but I understand your feelings about Alexandria. My sis lived in Chalmette (hubby was from Arabi). lost everything in Katrina, ended up moving to Alexandria, etc. However, that town has grown on them and they have adjusted well. Good luck with your decisions.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,951 times
I have a 3 BR, 2 bath house, large kitchen, seperate dining room/family room, large living room, attached garage and utility room for rent in Ponchatoula school district. House should be ready for occupancy in late March (settling estate). House sits on about .75 acre, partly fenced, in country setting at end of lane--no through traffic. Interested?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 PM

16 posts, read 54,532 times
I am from the Northshore, and I would say any of those cities would be good choices. They are all nice and have good school systems. If you are worried about limited finances then I would suggest Ponchatoula because of the lower property taxes. I think they are approximately half the cost of property taxes in Covington and Mandeville. That said I like all three towns. Abita Springs, Robert, and Madisonville are also all very nice. I don't think that you will regret moving anywhere on the Northshore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or