U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 01:46 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,311,982 times

Advertisements

I looked through the Lafayette threads and can't really find how hard it is to find work. We're trying to get out of California for many reasons. So, we plan to either go to Ruston or Lafayette and live in family housing. I'm referring to my husband and me. We're leaning towards Lafayette because it seems like there would be more work. Is it really hard to get jobs there? My husband would be doing full-time school and working part-time. I do school online through an accredited university. I would want to work full-time. The problem is, all of my experience is in retail. Do you think it would be possible for me to find a full-time job in either of those areas? I looked online and saw meter readers in both cities. I doubt those would be open when we finally move, though. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 04:38 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,675,440 times
well, for starters, you could try Jobs in Louisiana: Louisiana Job postings, Resumes and Career advice
It seems to be a pretty decent site and is advertised quite often.
I havent done much job hunting lately, but Im sure others can be of more help.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:04 PM

65 posts, read 356,752 times
Lafayette and Ruston are two completely different towns-both are good places to live but Lafayette will have more opportunities due to its size and opportunities for employment. Ruston is more on the smaller size town and quiet. I lived in Lafayette in the 80’s and it was a good to me. Went to USL and enjoyed the city and surroundings-there was always something to do. My daughter went to Louisiana Tech in Ruston – another good school. Town was quiet and laid back which appealed to me. As far as job hunting-try Lafayette just because of its size. Two good places to live with two good universities. I don’t know how the budget cuts that are projected for higher education are going to affect the schools. They will be bad but we don’t know “how bad”.
Good luck.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:22 AM

100 posts, read 357,213 times
The job market here lately has started to slow, but it's still possible.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:02 PM

Thanks. We're deciding between Lafayette and a school between Austin and San Antonio. I would really like to live in Louisiana because of the culture. I'm just wondering about work. We'll do some more looking and apply to both places. We'll decide later. Jobs can be completely different a few months from now.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:20 PM

OK. So, I'm not used to living where there is a low cost of living. I'm from southern California, so I have no idea what that is in reality. If the student housing costs $360 a month, would it be possible to live off of two part-time jobs? Or would I need either a full-time or two part-times while my husband worked part-time? We don't live crazily. Now that I'm looking more into it, Austin is supposed to be pretty bad for looking for work. One reason that we need to leave is that we absolutely cannot find anything here.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:12 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,675,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
OK. So, I'm not used to living where there is a low cost of living. I'm from southern California, so I have no idea what that is in reality. If the student housing costs $360 a month, would it be possible to live off of two part-time jobs? Or would I need either a full-time or two part-times while my husband worked part-time? We don't live crazily. Now that I'm looking more into it, Austin is supposed to be pretty bad for looking for work. One reason that we need to leave is that we absolutely cannot find anything here.
2 part time jobs would be able to cover living expenses in Lafayette, yes. Relative to California you will find living costs here to be extremely cheap and easy to deal with. The downside of course is that the infrastructure really isnt the greatest. But I think you might enjoy the laid back atmosphere of this place. We're really not in any hurry in our day to day lives in general. I wouldnt call it lazy, but just...really easy going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana