Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2006, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 10,996 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I am relocating to LA from Korea in a couple of months. I'm in the Air Force, but will be stationed at Ft Polk. Can anyone recommend a decent, quiet, low crime town? Preferably around the Leesville/De Ridder/Alexandria area, but I'm willing to commute from further if necessary. I am a single 27y.o., so decent restaurants and bars would be a plus.

Thanks,
Burton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 08:21 AM

83 posts, read 523,416 times
There's nothing but small towns around there. My DH just finished working at Fort Polk. He is a contractor. We actually were thinking about moving around that area too until he decided not to renew his contract. We were thinking the Rosepine or Evans area for the schools because we have little kids. The Leesville area would be a great place for a young single person.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:34 AM

2 posts, read 10,996 times
Thank you for the info Wendy. Can you tell me a little more about housing in that area? I'm not having much luck online. I'm going to rent, but I'm mostly only finding mobile homes or apartments. I haven't seen very many rental houses, and the ones I have are pretty dismal.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,293 times
Smile Arrivin008g in Louisiana from Ft Hood Texas in early Spring 2008

Need info about local churches near Ft Polk where I will be working in the post hospital.

Specifically Protestant fellowships with good children's ministries appropriate for 7 and 5 year old daughters. AWANAs would be a plus.
Currently attending SBC baptist church in Killeen. Prior to that we attended an Evangelical Free church in San Antonio but these are quite rare in most of the south (Denom mainly prominent in Minnesota area).

Also, we most likely will rent a house in the DeRidder area. Will need at least a 3BR place convenient to Ft Polk area.
email: alamobpo@hotmail.com
Thanks and God bless

Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,583 times
Default New in the area?

Welcome Back to the good ol' USA! I too am new to the Lousiana Fort Polk area and the from what I've been told the DeRidder area is very nice. There is no news of crime from what I've seen. Except for your local news on TV. May your relocation be friendly. Take care.

1Filapina

Old 02-05-2009, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,514 times
My husband and I are moving to Ft. Polk with the Army. I have NO idea about the area/ schools/subdivisions. I was raised in a more affluent area of Nashville, TN.... is there anything around there that could be similar to the suburbs of Nashville, TN? Does anyone know? HELP! We have a 9 yr old. Any info on schools would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM

35 posts, read 165,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lholst View Post
My husband and I are moving to Ft. Polk with the Army. I have NO idea about the area/ schools/subdivisions. I was raised in a more affluent area of Nashville, TN.... is there anything around there that could be similar to the suburbs of Nashville, TN? Does anyone know? HELP! We have a 9 yr old. Any info on schools would be greatly appreciated. Thx!
If you dont want to live in on-post housing, which isnt too bad, then Alexandria is the closest thing to the "burbs" around here. There are some new housing sub-divisions on the west side. It would be about 50 minutes or so each way to work. Otherwise its small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana