U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 05:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,368 times

Advertisements

I am a single 28 yr black male from Cleveland, OH and I have been recently offered a job in Lafayette. I wanted to know certain things and anything else anyone wants to share. I like a small suburb feel but want to be close to the city when I want to have fun.
- How is the weather, snow, tornadoes?
- Cost of living i.e. gas prices
- I hear the south side is a nice place to live. I am looking for a cheap apartment, decent neighborhood that I can live in for 6 months until I get a feel for the area.
- How bad is the traffic since my job requires a lot of driving
- Is there a Bally’s or Anytime fitness close or other decent gyms
- How’s the nightlife & shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 01:39 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,676,196 times
1. Weather is pretty nice year round. We do get alot of rain and in the springtime, tornadoes often can occur between Crowley and Lafayette. We dont often have them coming through the city though. Snow is not an issue. We had one single day of snow here and it has been 6 years since it last snowed and almost 20 since it accumulated like it did last December.

2. It isnt very expensive to live here. Gas prices are about average. right now between $1.75- 1.85 per gallon. Housing prices fluctuate and were on the rise before the market crash but have been trending downward along with everyone else since then. Its not crazy expensive to live here though like some places. I think youll find it manageable. I would say decent housing is in the 200-350k range.

3. Southside is quite nice. Everything is well within reach and there are a fair number of stores and shops all along johnston street and ambassador. The mall is very easy to reach and there are restaurants absolutely everywhere. For decent neighborhoods, check out Broadmoor, areas off of Kaliste Saloom, along west congress Street, and also apartments in those areas. Brookwood is nice off of johnston Street and there is a very large complex off of Congress called Bayou shadows.

4. the traffic, is, frankly, pretty horrible. Its not as bad as in a very large city, but for a city the size of Lafayette it is pretty ridiculous. the city is laid out along several main roads and EVERYONE uses them. Your best bet is to learn the backroads like the rest of us have and avoid certain areas during lunchtime or rush hour. Use the interstate if possible to get between the Northside and southside. the exits are very convenient relative to the city and straightforward.

5. Im not sure about fitness clubs, but Red Lerilles is the big one here. He has been in business a long time and established quite a nice facility.

6. Lots of clubs and shops around town. Its nothing like a big city though. There are some nice sports bars and pool halls, and some of the restaurants have trademark live cajun music and things like that. theres a hockey/ice skating rink on the northside off of I49 and normal skating and skateboarding facilities elsewhere. It doesnt compare to a city with a central large downtown district though. there is a downtown but its smallish. There are a lot of festivals all year round though, since this is the heart of Cajun country and we love to party. there is also an upcoming annual springtime festival called Festivale Internationale de Louisiane where bands from all over the world come to play for several days. This is a large event and takes up a good portion of downtown. I love this event.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,368 times
Thanks so much this was a big help

Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,018 times
yes, there are anytime fitnesses around lafayette. no bally's though.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 AM

18 posts, read 56,263 times
1. Small, suburb feel = southside of the city. You can also look at smaller towns like Breaux Bridge and Youngsville, though personally, I wouldn't move any farther south than where we live due to potential hurricane damage. (We're near the Vermilion parish line)

2. Hot and humid in the summer months. Awesome in the fall/spring. Winters aren't harsh -- I lost no plants/fruit trees/etc in the freezes we had. We had real snow in December for the first time since 1998. I've lived here 30 years and never seen a tornado. The one we had rip through the Oil Center was bizarre.

3. Lafayette is a fast-growing city. The housing market has been big in the past five or six years. It's taken a small hit since this economy stuff, but for the most part we're a little bit isolated from what's going on because of the oil business. Gas prices are generally much better than the rest of the nation.

4. Traffic can be painstaking. Extremely poor planning, esp wrt growth.

5. There are a couple of 24/7 fitness places that just opened.

6. The nightlife is good in the downtown area.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 AM

211 posts, read 502,971 times
Hey clintonjd,

I'm thinking of relocating to Lafayette myself in the next year and a half. You asked some good questions and got some interesting responses here.

I've got the same idea as you regarding an apartment then buying once I have more of a feel for the area. I kinda like the idea of buying in one of the smaller surrounding towns like Crowley.

Let us know what you decide,
Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or