U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,932 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide where to look for a home... currently in NOLA but not originally from area so not sure which of those areas would be better. How are the school districts in each? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 12:11 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,979,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkwmn View Post
Trying to decide where to look for a home... currently in NOLA but not originally from area so not sure which of those areas would be better. How are the school districts in each? Thanks!
Mandeville is MUCH nicer and MUCH pricier. And you'd have to deal with the approximately 20 mile commute across Lake Pontchartrain.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,148,234 times
LaPlace is a fairly nice place as far as housing and stuff goes, but the St. John Parish Schools are barely a few steps above Orleans parish. Mandeville is very nice, but it can be an expensive place. You could probably find something affordable in one of the smaller communities there, but that would add to your commute. Have you considered St. Charles Parish?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:03 AM

135 posts, read 371,515 times
there are some deals to be found in mandeville. i personally think the commute and maybe a smaller house is worth it for the community. we're house hunting there right now and are definatley in a lower price range than most. we looked in laplace but were not very impressed.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl75 View Post
there are some deals to be found in mandeville. i personally think the commute and maybe a smaller house is worth it for the community. we're house hunting there right now and are definatley in a lower price range than most. we looked in laplace but were not very impressed.

We live in Destrehan, St Charles Parish and the homes are not the pricey and the schools are some of the best in the state.

We also have 5.39 acres in Abita Springs, a little north of Money Hill, and we can't wait until our son finishes high school so that we can build.

Both areas are great and both can make a good home and both have good schools, but I sure love the North Shore.

Taxes are higher in Mandeville but homeowners insurance is higher in St. Charles Parish so it is kind of a wash.

Also, something to think about if you commute. The Causway may be shut down because of heavy fog and several months out of the year they have only one lane open with 35mph speed posted.

I'm like you though, I think the North Shore is worth it, but we have to wait untill our son is fininh high school.

busta

Old 11-10-2009, 01:28 AM

4 posts, read 26,494 times
Default Mandeville

Mandeville is way better. I personally haven't lived in LaPlace but I've lived in Mandeville for almost 4 months now and couldn't be happier. Probably the safest area you could live in compared to the complete surrounding N.O. area. I just hope you're not too much of a night owl cuz the only wierd thing is its like a GHOST TOWN around here after like 10pm every night. There are also many nice areas in Covington which is about 10 minutes north of Mandeville. There's a few areas maybe to avoid(farther north), but for the most part it is similar to Mandeville. IMO there are a lot more things to do in Covington though. You got your walmart, lot of fast food places, all kinds of motels/hotels, etc. Both towns are close to I-12 and as far as other posters referring to the commute to N.O., sometimes it can take just as long from LaPlace with all the heavy eastbound traffic on I-10 in the morning compared to the less heavier causeway traffic. Plus I'm like 5 minutes from the lake and lake shore drive so its always nice when i need some relaxing time or just feel like walking along/sitting by the lake

Old 01-22-2010, 01:35 PM

135 posts, read 371,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNolaWoj View Post
Mandeville is way better. I personally haven't lived in LaPlace but I've lived in Mandeville for almost 4 months now and couldn't be happier. Probably the safest area you could live in compared to the complete surrounding N.O. area. I just hope you're not too much of a night owl cuz the only wierd thing is its like a GHOST TOWN around here after like 10pm every night. There are also many nice areas in Covington which is about 10 minutes north of Mandeville. There's a few areas maybe to avoid(farther north), but for the most part it is similar to Mandeville. IMO there are a lot more things to do in Covington though. You got your walmart, lot of fast food places, all kinds of motels/hotels, etc. Both towns are close to I-12 and as far as other posters referring to the commute to N.O., sometimes it can take just as long from LaPlace with all the heavy eastbound traffic on I-10 in the morning compared to the less heavier causeway traffic. Plus I'm like 5 minutes from the lake and lake shore drive so its always nice when i need some relaxing time or just feel like walking along/sitting by the lake
glad to hear you enjoy it so much. we're still moving to mandeville but we've decided to rent instead of buy. i have a young daughter so the safety factor is huge with me. i would like the option of using my laptop at a coffee house lat at night but i can live without it. i also love to just sit by the lake sometimes so that'll be a plus.as far as shopping...i have to drive about 15min to the mall here so, i guess doing my shopping in covington won't be a huge change. i love it in mandeville and i think the positives outweigh the negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or