U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 31,513 times

Advertisements

What are the good and bad things in Monroe LA ?

I'd be glad if you could help me!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 PM

772 posts, read 4,227,715 times
Good: decent sized town with plenty of stores and restaurants. All the conveniences of any other decent-sized American town. Shreveport and Jackson, both with city populations about 200,000+ and metro populations of nearly 1/2 million, are both only an hour and a half from Monroe.

Bad: economy is in the hole right now, and unfortunately the best thing going for Monroe is that it's the home of CenturyTel. Nothing really to do there... not much entertainment aside from high school football and the movie theater.

I like Monroe, but there's no disputing the facts. Right now, things are pretty grim there. I hope it comes back around... it's got a rich history. Coca-Cola was first bottled in Monroe, and Delta Airlines actually began there. Neither of those corporations is based in Monroe, but the town does have a history with both of them.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Status: "Without weirdness, society stagnates" (set 2 days ago)

5,081 posts, read 2,947,367 times
Default Monroe - Good & Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaburjaili View Post
What are the good and bad things in Monroe LA ?

I'd be glad if you could help me!!!
I grew up in NE Louisiana, about an hour from Monroe, so I can tell you quite a bit about it.

In truth, that actually depends on the kind of person you are, so you have to tell me what you are looking for in a place to live before I can give you a truly meaningful answer.

It's a University region - Monroe is home to University of Louisiana-Monroe (about 12,000 students). 30 miles to the west on I-20 is Ruston, home of Louisiana Tech University, probably among the 2 or 3 best public universities in the state (I'm biased though, being a Tech graduate). Five miles further west of Ruston is Grambling, home of Grambling St. Univ., a HBCU.

Economy - not too great, I'm afraid, althought somewhat better than the smaller towns surrounding the area (but that's usually the case everywhere)

Culture - There is the Strauss Playhouse, which puts on mostly conventional plays, and just perhaps a few original productions (though NOTHING edgy - this is a VERY conservative area, after all). In addition, there is the Masur Museum of Art, just south of the I-20 bridge, which is a pretty decent art museum for a city it's size. Plus there's the Bierdenharm Museum, with old copies of Bibles and such.

Nightlife - There's really none to speak of, unless you are into the college bar and party scene. Even then, it's almost all meat markets. As far as I'm concerned, the only places in Monroe worth going to at night are Enoch's Irish Pub on Louisville Ave near the river - and every now and then The Blue Monkey Tavern, which features live music (I may be at the brink of 40, but I'd still feel this way even if I were 21 years old, trust me). If you want something more, you have to go to Shreveport or Jackson, MS - each about 100 miles away. If you can really make time for it, I'd even reccommend that you make a once-a-month trip to Dallas to keep yourself feeling in touch with the rest of the world, never mind that it's 300 miles from Monroe.

If you are politically progressive (civil liberties, social justice, animal rights, anti-war/peace, etc.), Monroe is really THE LAST place you want to be. There's not even a small progressive neighborhood in the area. The closest there is to one is the area just north of Louisville Ave along the river. Even then, it's still center-right in orientation. Even the universities (barring majority-black Grambling) are right-wing in orientation. If you want something more progressive, you'll have to drive 1h and 45 min to either Shreveport (Highland Neighborhood) or Jackson, MS (Fondren and Belhaven neighborhood) - NO EXCEPTIONS. All of this means is that unless you are in good standing with the extreme right wing, Monroe and NE Louisiana can be an extremely difficult place to live.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 31,513 times
Thank you!

I asked you about Monroe because I'm going to study at ULM.
I dont like big cities, and I like to hide horses, playing sports, nature, waterfall, trees, camp, things like this. So, I think that it will be a good city to me, wont it?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Status: "Without weirdness, society stagnates" (set 2 days ago)

5,081 posts, read 2,947,367 times
anabur,

Kiroli Park in West Monroe seems worthwhile
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid..._west_monroe-i

Other than that, your best bet is the state parks with lakes: Lake D'Arbonne State Park in Farmerville (30 miles NW of Monroe) is probably your best bet. If you care to drive a further 30 miles, Lake Claiborne St. Park is also a good choice. There's also a small parish park north of Ruston (yes, again, 30 miles west of Monroe).

If you want "deep woods" type stuff, then Kisatchie National Forest near Winnfield is probably the best you'll get.

Waterfalls - none around there - the terrain is generally flat to gently rolling.

Sports - College Intramural sports is likely the best you'll find. Other than that, ULM has a pretty big range of standard spectator sports.

Horse Riding - As far as I know, you'll have to get to know someone who's into horses, as there is no 'ride horses for a fee' place that I'm aware of.

Overall, given your situation and desires, Monroe does a reasonably good job of fulfilling your needs, although you may have to drive 1/2 hour to fulfil many of those needs.

Last edited by Phil75230; 03-27-2007 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Additional Info

Old 04-29-2007, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,669 times
Everything they said. If you like the outdoors there is a lot to do within 25 miles any direction. Camping, canoeing, & fishing.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:53 AM

430 posts, read 405,777 times
......ah, oh has Monroe change since those baby powdered comment up there. He he oh the humor.

Yep, those people seemed so intelligent back in 2007, but its 2009 now. I just love our little street car riding around the new streets of Magnificent Monroe, aka Funroe. I love how these days you can play "any-minnie-miney-monroe" on the weekend just to figure out what to do. I really enjoyed the show at the Biedenharn Museum & Gardens, the night of the living statues play was so facinating. I heard this type of show is unheard of in the south, the way those actors scared the blank outta me because they looked like real statues, then they danced amongst lights and water falls all around the garden. Yeah the show was actually outside!!

Down the road, at the Forsythe Park Boat Dock was a teriffic Fourth of July Extravaganza. Yeah about 10,000 showed up that nite. The others must have been at "Enoch's" or "Warehouse No.1" getting some great food. "Riverside Coney Island" was looking quite owweeish too with that live music in that giant tent. Oh please excuse my manners, what about that Downtown Cinema every last Saturday of the month, the rodeos twice a month, the Old School Car shows that show up at random restuarants every Sunday.

OH MY, theres my manners again, The Strass Theather does have many A-list plays. Those two race track events at two separate race tracks in Monroe does sound nice, but I promise my friends I'd check out the World War II Museum today, then I'll take them to the Waterfront Grill with actually sits on the Bayou Desiard.

Huh, whats that you say you wanna go shopping, where West Monroe off Thomas RD and I-20, Millhaven RD off I - 20 in Monroe, Pecanland Mall is overthere too, but you want to go to Ave of American by 18th street to shop, cool we can stop on Louisville Ave and eat some old fashion Picadilly's or maybe the Mohawk Tavern.

The Masur Museum of Art is quite sexy these days but how bout we go back to the Coca Cola Museum first to find about the "very first bottled cokes ever"that was right here in Monroe. Oh the yeah we can book at the very first Delta Airlines ever but first we have to get our tickets for one of many MMA matches we have monthly. Maybe next time we can go to the Louisiana Purchase Gardens and Zoo, but on second thought, you wanna see what Louisiana is all about with something reminiscent to what to might see in S. Louisiana, lets go to Black Bayou Wildlife Refuge, a sight to see. I dont know maybe we can catch a speed boat ride around town on all the travelable waters like Ouachita River and Bayou Desiard. Take the kids to Excaliber Amusement Park. Go ride Atvs at an atv park. I like going to the new Static Club, but lets got to the Library Lounge and play pool, just before going to Sixth Street Grill to check out a band. I like the Top Gun Club too. Im the romantic type, so Im taking a nice girl to the Sage restaurant, then we gonna dance on the riverwalk thats downtown. Might catch a wedding nearby at the Quachita Plaza and watch party afterwards at the beautifully old, Austin's building(dam I love those chandeliers in there). the building across the street is a new bar, havent been yet but I kno its packed all the time.

AWWW MAN, you let me blab again....whats that you have to go back to Lafeyette again, heard it was a dump there, but to each its own I guess. later.....

Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 PM

2,060 posts, read 5,005,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
......ah, oh has Monroe change since those baby powdered comment up there. He he oh the humor.

Yep, those people seemed so intelligent back in 2007, but its 2009 now. I just love our little street car riding around the new streets of Magnificent Monroe, aka Funroe. I love how these days you can play "any-minnie-miney-monroe" on the weekend just to figure out what to do. I really enjoyed the show at the Biedenharn Museum & Gardens, the night of the living statues play was so facinating. I heard this type of show is unheard of in the south, the way those actors scared the blank outta me because they looked like real statues, then they danced amongst lights and water falls all around the garden. Yeah the show was actually outside!!

Down the road, at the Forsythe Park Boat Dock was a teriffic Fourth of July Extravaganza. Yeah about 10,000 showed up that nite. The others must have been at "Enoch's" or "Warehouse No.1" getting some great food. "Riverside Coney Island" was looking quite owweeish too with that live music in that giant tent. Oh please excuse my manners, what about that Downtown Cinema every last Saturday of the month, the rodeos twice a month, the Old School Car shows that show up at random restuarants every Sunday.

OH MY, theres my manners again, The Strass Theather does have many A-list plays. Those two race track events at two separate race tracks in Monroe does sound nice, but I promise my friends I'd check out the World War II Museum today, then I'll take them to the Waterfront Grill with actually sits on the Bayou Desiard.

Huh, whats that you say you wanna go shopping, where West Monroe off Thomas RD and I-20, Millhaven RD off I - 20 in Monroe, Pecanland Mall is overthere too, but you want to go to Ave of American by 18th street to shop, cool we can stop on Louisville Ave and eat some old fashion Picadilly's or maybe the Mohawk Tavern.

The Masur Museum of Art is quite sexy these days but how bout we go back to the Coca Cola Museum first to find about the "very first bottled cokes ever"that was right here in Monroe. Oh the yeah we can book at the very first Delta Airlines ever but first we have to get our tickets for one of many MMA matches we have monthly. Maybe next time we can go to the Louisiana Purchase Gardens and Zoo, but on second thought, you wanna see what Louisiana is all about with something reminiscent to what to might see in S. Louisiana, lets go to Black Bayou Wildlife Refuge, a sight to see. I dont know maybe we can catch a speed boat ride around town on all the travelable waters like Ouachita River and Bayou Desiard. Take the kids to Excaliber Amusement Park. Go ride Atvs at an atv park. I like going to the new Static Club, but lets got to the Library Lounge and play pool, just before going to Sixth Street Grill to check out a band. I like the Top Gun Club too. Im the romantic type, so Im taking a nice girl to the Sage restaurant, then we gonna dance on the riverwalk thats downtown. Might catch a wedding nearby at the Quachita Plaza and watch party afterwards at the beautifully old, Austin's building(dam I love those chandeliers in there). the building across the street is a new bar, havent been yet but I kno its packed all the time.

AWWW MAN, you let me blab again....whats that you have to go back to Lafeyette again, heard it was a dump there, but to each its own I guess. later.....
Is this seriously necessary in EVERY post you make? Do you have an inferiority complex?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:57 PM

33 posts, read 154,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post

Louisiana's Legend lol you have the biggest complex I have ever seen in my life..Please get the monkey off of your back man. You have a person who is really serious about aquiring information about moving to your city..We know you love your city but man, you need to go to city-data rehab or something lol. If someone ask how my city is I give them the pros and cons and you want hear me talking about another city while someone is asking about my area, but you really have a complex on this website. You just make a fool out of the fourms you write on sometimes. Someone out there please start a fourm on why Lafayette and S Louisiana sucks so Legend can get his or her shine on please. And to all the rest of the normal Monroe people, that terrain and the area up there sounds intersting to visit, a real contrast from South of I 10, I would love to visit one day. (And for you legend, if someone down here did you something that rubbed you the wrong way.. On behalf of the whole bottom half of the boot Je suis désolé(We are sorry Legend) LOL

Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 PM

430 posts, read 405,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Is this seriously necessary in EVERY post you make? Do you have an inferiority complex?
Wow, that was so funny Innotech!!! I never heard of that, but maybe I do have an inferior complex. Its just hard for such a passionate person such as myself to hear inferior and negative comments about my area.

Just like it hit hard when people spoke negative about Lafayette. The people of that area spoke so strong and defended it to the max of 14 pages and so on, im sure. I use to look at Lafayette and shrug once in my life. It wasnt until maybe 8 years ago people started mentioning Lafayette more than usual. Im sure there were still many people at that time saying whatever, Lafayette is a sandlot. But.....passionate people, similar to myself, continued to believe and speak of the area positively to the point people started paying attention. Got the attention of people who can actually make a difference.....and eventually did make a big difference from ten years ago.

Im no different. Its not that I have an inferior complex, its more of proud complex. Im happy and proud of Monroe, LA to the point I want to talk about it. Im excited and overwhelmed that times are different not only for Monroe, LA, but Louisiana period. I do recognize I am going against the grain, but as a human in this world, waking up morning is going againt the grain. If you gonna wake up to face all of that, why stop at the grains, take the whole f****** field, and dont look back.

Sorry Innotech, My name reflects my personality, Louisiana Legend, one who dared to loved what most dont love, influencing others to do the same while doing so. Superior Louisiana!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>