Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:57 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,394,602 times

Advertisements

The person who got the baby was king or queen and was next in line to throw a party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 01:08 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,006,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The person who got the baby was king or queen and was next in line to throw a party.
Sweet. You're cheating btw. You were the next poster and didnt fulfill the requirements.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,394,602 times
If you're talking about throwing beads, sorry. I'm a nudist and I don't throw beads for flashing.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:41 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,300,374 times
The Lafayette parades are actually pretty safe and relatively stress-free (as far as parades/Mardi Gras goes) but I think I have had my fill of them for a while. Didnt go this year.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,703,007 times
The nudity you see on TV is not at the parades; that takes place in the French Quarter over the long weekend and is mostly out of towners doing what they think is the Mardi Gras experience. Parades don't go into the French Quarter. Very few locals show their stuff for beads; they get plenty of beads at the parades without exposing themselves.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 PM

794 posts, read 3,344,354 times
Agreed. Most of the debauchery is in the Quarter. If you just wanted to do parades, head to St. Charles uptown or out to Metairie. I've never had any problems anywhere although I've seen fights in the Quarter and even the aftermath of a shooting on Canal. I've never been or felt personally threatened though (yet).
I can easily fill up large bags full of beads and I don't flash anything. Maybe they're giving me beads so I'll keep my clothes on.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,923,431 times
You guys are amazing! I didn't know there were a bunch of parades in different places! I thought they *only* had Mardi Gras in the actual city of NO - or the French Quarter. Anytime we've thought of vacationing anywhere in February, we always say "Not New Orleans!" This has actually opened up a whole new thing for me. I would love to attend a Mardi Gras parade that is not X-rated! LOL

I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my questions. See - you learn something new everyday!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:07 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,703,007 times
None of the parades are X-rated, just some of the tourists. If you don't like the nudity, stay off of Bourbon Street.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,923,431 times
Now I'm not sure I should go to the parades. Forget the nudity - this is in our local paper today!

6 shot during Mardi Gras in New Orleans | MyDesert.com | The Desert Sun

Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 PM

63 posts, read 278,714 times
Default my first mardi gras

This year was my first one. We are in Alex, and I understand that the further north you go, the tamer they get. I too never knew other town had mardi gras. Not many people know that, and I am so embarassed when my daughter tells people from back home we went to Mardi Gras. They probably think we've lost our minds.
It was fun, but I sure dont' understand all the hoopla. The kids had three days off school for this-why in the world? And what is the big deal about beads? It's not like they're throwing anything anyone actually wants-it's cheap beads for gosh sakes.
The king cake was kinda yucky-at least the one I had. It looked like young kids had baked something and tossed every decoration they could find in the pantry on it. It was so over the top and icky.
The floats obviously had a lot of work put into them. I'm afraid to know the meaning behind them, though. They certainly looked like a big pagan ritual coming down the street.
So, that was my experience. Fortunately, we went with good friends and had a BBQ, so just enjoying the day and the company was worth it. It was something to do for the day, but it sure wouldnt' kill me to miss it. It was hardly the be all to end all, and if I lived in NO, I would sure get outta dodge duirng that time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana