U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:44 PM

15,870 posts, read 32,923,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
On the evening news today was a story of a shooting in New Orleans during the parade. Also in the news was a 23 year old man getting killed after falling off the parade float that had just finished it's run in the Carencro (my hometown) Mardi Gras parade. My parents were at that parade and left a little early when the drunken fights started up nearby. People had parked their campers along the parade route days ahead of time and some had started drinking around 5am the day of the parade. There's no reason to get drunk for a parade where children will be around trying to catch things thrown from the floats. In some cases, these drunks will push aside kids to try to get the beads or trinkets thrown from the floats. Some have even snatched it out of the kids hands. All for some cheap piece of plastic that the child would enjoy longer than the drunk's buzz. To hell with Mardi Gras and all the drunks, drug addicts, and thieves.
I'm in Alabama and I feel the same way about the parades in Mobile. We have shootings and drunks over here too, not worth it for some plastic beads made in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 02:30 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,098,878 times
That's what's great about this country. No one is compelled to attend an event they don't enjoy, leaving more for the rest of us who do.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 PM

17 posts, read 70,961 times
They say it was the best turnout since Katrina and possibly one of the best ever. Overall everyone was pretty well behaved, however the shooting marred the day. You just come to expect crime in New Orleans though. Saw some disturbing behavior on Bourbon, but the parade scene was very family friendly.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 AM

514 posts, read 1,455,401 times
I don't get the whole Mardi Gras scene either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not religious nuts who bash Mardi Gras because I believe in some twisted interpretation of certain ancient book. Nor did I have any problem with drinking and having a good time, but seriously, do you really have to drink yourself to the point of throwing up, peeing on the street and getting into fights with other people? I drank too, and I had my share of drunken experiences. But the worst drunken behavior I had was to spill my guts to people who I didn't really know that well, not wanna sound snobbish here, but I really believe how drunk people behave is seriously related to how those people are brought up. Those people simply have no self control. It doesn't matter if it's Mardi Gras or a LSU football game (never get it either, seriously what's the matter with those tailgaters? Have they been living in Arab countries over the past year? They acted as if they had had a drink in decades). You are adults for crying out loud, having a good time doesn't mean you should turn yourself into a wild dog who pees everywhere. It's stinky.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:08 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,610,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I'm just curious ...

I've been to New Orleans, but have never been there during Mardi Gras. When they show it on TV here, it seems that the only people getting beads are people who show their privates or get naked.

I have never had the desire to go to Mardi Gras because when I see it on TV it looks like a bunch of drunks looking for a fight, people puking and peeing everywhere, naked people, girls showing their breasts. I would never want to subject my kids to that, much less myself.

Is it really like that or do TV shows like COPS and the news just sensationalize it?
Honey, if you, (not you personally Twinkle, more like the "you" who have flashed), have to show your body parts to get beads, you are an amature tourist and you're doing it wrong.

BTW NOPD will only warn you a couple of times before they put you in the paddy wagon for exposing yourself in public (usally happens on the tourist side of the Quarter). See it every year, some shocked silly girl seated on the sidewalk crying because she was too hard headed to listen. Also young women, please notice how many middle aged pervs with telephoto lens are licking their lips as they snap away only to go home and post your pics all over the net. It's Mardi Gras, people, not spring break.

Ooh, re-read this and it comes across as a rant. Didn't mean it to come across that way, but I guess it is in a way because it really irritates me that a group of tourists in the Quarter have taken what so many hold near and dear as a distinct cultural experience, (picnicing on the neutralground, comparing who got the most/best, satire, balls, etc.), and have turned it into their version of spring break because they have no understanding of the celebration. What's sad is that a bunch of know nothings who take up maybe 6 blocks on Bourbon have earned a crap reputation for the other 200 square miles of native population. Okay, my vent for the day is done and I'm a happy camper again. Just wanna thank you Twinkle for allowing us to vent on an unfair reputation.

Last edited by Drouzin; 03-03-2009 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-03-2009, 11:31 AM

59 posts, read 151,292 times
the ignorance of pearl tower views is hilarious.

oh and check out mobile next time. they have a great one and it's the original.

the parades came right infront of my place and there was no x rated or raunchiness save beer breath.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,588 times
I live in the metro area of New Orleans....(the westbank) Mardi Gras is not so bad!
Coming from out of town in the city to experience mardi gras especially with children... I recommend Metairie parades and standing on Veterans Blvd. I have two small children and that is the best place to parade with kids in on Veterans Blvd.
I bring my kids only to the daytime parades because you can actually see alot better and control your kids in the daylight. There are incidents of children running around and getting struck by a float and then...........

Just watch your kids with that!

Old 09-26-2009, 06:03 AM

8 posts, read 26,838 times
Default Why I Hate Mardi Gras

I live in New Iberia and try to avoid Mardi Gras but sometimes it's
necessary to drive through Lafayette on that day. Practically the entire city is closed off for this stupid holiday. The hospitals are very hard to get to.I wonder how many people have died in ambulances trying to navigate the West Congress-West University area.
In my opinion, if the cities want to celebrate this pagan debauchery, it should be moved off the streets and into a cow pasture somewhere so that the rest of us can engage in our normal work and activities in peace.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:10 AM

777 posts, read 1,144,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
On the evening news today was a story of a shooting in New Orleans during the parade. Also in the news was a 23 year old man getting killed after falling off the parade float that had just finished it's run in the Carencro (my hometown) Mardi Gras parade. My parents were at that parade and left a little early when the drunken fights started up nearby. People had parked their campers along the parade route days ahead of time and some had started drinking around 5am the day of the parade. There's no reason to get drunk for a parade where children will be around trying to catch things thrown from the floats. In some cases, these drunks will push aside kids to try to get the beads or trinkets thrown from the floats. Some have even snatched it out of the kids hands. All for some cheap piece of plastic that the child would enjoy longer than the drunk's buzz. To hell with Mardi Gras and all the drunks, drug addicts, and thieves.
Mardi Gras is not really intended for children, is it? Try the Thanksgiving Macy’s parade in Manhattan. It’s a blast for kids.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:59 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,215,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Mardi Gras is not really intended for children, is it? Try the Thanksgiving Macy’s parade in Manhattan. It’s a blast for kids.
Then why is it the trinkets thrown from some floats are cheap children's toys like toy size footballs, whistles, and other items?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana