U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:19 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,330,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA3811 View Post
I work in New Orleans in a hotel on the parade route. All the things you see on TV about people exposing themselves takes place in the French Quarter by tourists who don't have a clue about Mardi Gras. They are ameteurs. I would never, ever take a child down there.

Uptown New Orleans is very family oriented. People do bring their children and the float riders cater to the kids singling them out and throwing stuff to them. Uptown is where the locals go. People lay out ladders for thier children to stand on and local people respect your stuff and know the rules. I did not see one fight and I worked 15 hours Sunday and 16 hours Tuesday.

This year Mardi Gras had a bunch of stupid spring breakers that mainly treated the city like a toilet. Who raises these people? Next year Mardi Gras is in February too early for spring break, thank goodness!! It will be back to a nice fun holiday.
Amen, I'm glad it's all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 PM

3,963 posts, read 6,860,061 times
I`m shocked that a New Orlinian is happy that Mardi Gra is over LOL.......Were kind of down and sad that is over here in Alabama.The weather has been great for Mardi Gra on the Gulf Coast this year and I`m ready for next year.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,330,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I`m shocked that a New Orlinian is happy that Mardi Gra is over LOL.......Were kind of down and sad that is over here in Alabama.The weather has been great for Mardi Gra on the Gulf Coast this year and I`m ready for next year.
I think that anyone would be glad to have they're city back after a million tourists come in and turn it into Spring Break meets Freak Nik. Outside of the REAL New Orleans Mardi Gras, which I love and that few non-locals know about, it's really a pain in the ass; not mentioning that the city and natives pick up the reputation for all of the junk only the tourists do. That's why many locals go out of town during Mardi Gras.

I love this time I really do, but I hate it just the same.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:02 AM

3,963 posts, read 6,860,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I think that anyone would be glad to have they're city back after a million tourists come in and turn it into Spring Break meets Freak Nik. Outside of the REAL New Orleans Mardi Gras, which I love and that few non-locals know about, it's really a pain in the ass; not mentioning that the city and natives pick up the reputation for all of the junk only the tourists do. That's why many locals go out of town during Mardi Gras.

I love this time I really do, but I hate it just the same.

I have to check out one of the parades outside of the tourist areas then..Thanks for the info.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,047,932 times
I live in New Orleans...and I had a good time
(Thoth, Krewe of Chewbacchus and the Tiesto show at the CAC), tourists do come down here and treat New Orleans like a garbage dump (I didnt see any fights...just very very drunk people and lots of trash)
Glad its over tho

Old 03-12-2011, 09:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 10,205,400 times
Wow, this thread is interesting. Growing up in Louisiana but having lived in the Northeast, Midwest, West Coast, and now Texas, I miss Mardi Gras. I remember the first time I left Louisiana, I was surprised that people worked on Mardi Gras in other states (I remember asking a friend "You mean you don't get Mardi Gras off?)". I remember thinking, "so this is how the prudes live". Oh well, every place has their own celebration. I'm sure transplants to NY bash the Macy's Day Parade, or transplants to Chicago bash the St. Patty's Day celebrations, just as people bash Cinco de Mayo in Cali/TX, or Columbus Day in New England. The only thing I get to celebrate for Mardi Gras in TX is a local king cake from the HEB, and it sucks. It's not a wreath like the ones in Louisiana, it's a round cake.

If you're not from here, read up on what Mardi Gras is about and why New Orleans is the "most northern city in the Caribbean" instead of just another puritan city that doesn't know how to relax. We were settled by the French not the British and so naturally our celebrations will be different than say, Boston.

Someone asked why Louisianians drink and celebrate so often. Well, I will point you to the studies that showed that Louisianians are the happiest people.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 PM

2,879 posts, read 2,596,805 times
Sorry to restart this thread, but In LC you gotta create your own fun for Mardi Gras, a lot of ppl down here just thrown Mardi Gras parties or have cookouts.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,675,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Wow, this thread is interesting. Growing up in Louisiana but having lived in the Northeast, Midwest, West Coast, and now Texas, I miss Mardi Gras. I remember the first time I left Louisiana, I was surprised that people worked on Mardi Gras in other states (I remember asking a friend "You mean you don't get Mardi Gras off?)". I remember thinking, "so this is how the prudes live". Oh well, every place has their own celebration. I'm sure transplants to NY bash the Macy's Day Parade, or transplants to Chicago bash the St. Patty's Day celebrations, just as people bash Cinco de Mayo in Cali/TX, or Columbus Day in New England. The only thing I get to celebrate for Mardi Gras in TX is a local king cake from the HEB, and it sucks. It's not a wreath like the ones in Louisiana, it's a round cake.

If you're not from here, read up on what Mardi Gras is about and why New Orleans is the "most northern city in the Caribbean" instead of just another puritan city that doesn't know how to relax. We were settled by the French not the British and so naturally our celebrations will be different than say, Boston.

Someone asked why Louisianians drink and celebrate so often. Well, I will point you to the studies that showed that Louisianians are the happiest people.
Louisianians drinking and celebrating life has a lot to do with the exile from Acadia and the Cajun peoples' vows to never take life for granted. That is why they seemingly celebrate every moment, because every moment of life IS a celebration here. It is a very optimistic take on living that proves to be very fascinating and infectious to outsiders.
I feel truly privileged to be a part of this wonderful state.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 AM

14,198 posts, read 20,535,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Sorry to restart this thread, but In LC you gotta create your own fun for Mardi Gras, a lot of ppl down here just thrown Mardi Gras parties or have cookouts.
At least people there actually care about it. Here it's like labor day, what a crying shame.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:08 PM

18,534 posts, read 22,361,881 times
I was to Mardi Gras just once during the late 70's, only reason I went is a friend had moved there, had a free place to live, but he worked the whole time I was there, I was on my own. I was there at a time when they had an unusual cold snap and it was freezing and I wasn't prepared for it.

I've never been a partying, social, drinking type and this scene was just not for me, and I counted the hours and minutes before I could board the plane to go back home.

I truly envy those that can get into that partying type scene and find it enjoyable, just like the partyers who come to Las Vegas here, but it's just not for me!

Guess you could call me a social retard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana