U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,675,440 times

Advertisements

I do my partying mainly during Festival Internationale de Louisiane in April. Mardi Gras was fun growing up but I got tired of having to fight for every little trinket and seeing older people practically step on little kids to get the nicer beads and doubloons. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 12:41 AM

431 posts, read 963,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Guess you could call me a social retard!
I'd call you normal.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 AM

595 posts, read 1,016,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
On the evening news today was a story of a shooting in New Orleans during the parade. Also in the news was a 23 year old man getting killed after falling off the parade float that had just finished it's run in the Carencro (my hometown) Mardi Gras parade. My parents were at that parade and left a little early when the drunken fights started up nearby. People had parked their campers along the parade route days ahead of time and some had started drinking around 5am the day of the parade. There's no reason to get drunk for a parade where children will be around trying to catch things thrown from the floats. In some cases, these drunks will push aside kids to try to get the beads or trinkets thrown from the floats. Some have even snatched it out of the kids hands. All for some cheap piece of plastic that the child would enjoy longer than the drunk's buzz. To hell with Mardi Gras and all the drunks, drug addicts, and thieves.
I agree with this as far as Mardi Gras in some areas but there are some good safe parades. Me,I quite going to parades when one day I found Myself ready to stomp the **** out of a 7-9 year old young man over a set of beads.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 673 times
Default Mardi Gras

Do you know why Mardi Gras is Celebrated? You'd be surprised at the number
of people who have no clue. Having lived in both New Orleans and Lafayette,
the amount of drunkenness never ceases to amaze me. What ashame!! I can't
go to a parade without viewing someone falling down drunk, etc. The vulgar language
used is appalling...come on this is supposed to a family oriented event.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,675,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milbarn22 View Post
Do you know why Mardi Gras is Celebrated? You'd be surprised at the number
of people who have no clue. Having lived in both New Orleans and Lafayette,
the amount of drunkenness never ceases to amaze me. What ashame!! I can't
go to a parade without viewing someone falling down drunk, etc. The vulgar language
used is appalling...come on this is supposed to a family oriented event.
Its supposed to be a day to let all your inhibitions go before Lent so drunkenness and revelry is expected.
But I dont like the whole idea of being drunk anyway so its not something I hold in high regard.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:18 PM

678 posts, read 588,478 times
really? old people?? i thought it was mainly younger adults 21-32 something like that

Old 01-23-2015, 02:19 PM

415 posts, read 684,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
really? old people?? i thought it was mainly younger adults 21-32 something like that
If you were born and raised in Louisiana, especially the regions of Baton Rouge and New Orleans, Mardi Gras knows no age. You will see everyone from infants to octogenerians celebrating.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 PM

2,796 posts, read 6,872,788 times
I'm more queued in today than a few years ago about MG. As my daughter married a young man from Houma I have been down there a couple times each year for the last 2 years. All age groups participate and people really do have the most fun at these balls and presentations. The Houma MG is great fun and I believe it's the best in the state that I've seen! But now that wouldn't fair to New Orleans to say that but I was very impressed and really got an education about it.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:50 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,169,723 times
I didn't realize how major Mardi Gras was until I started planning out my job search for this year, and found out the schools close for three days. So that means I will come to look in March not February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana