U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:43 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,215,463 times

Advertisements

On the evening news today was a story of a shooting in New Orleans during the parade. Also in the news was a 23 year old man getting killed after falling off the parade float that had just finished it's run in the Carencro (my hometown) Mardi Gras parade. My parents were at that parade and left a little early when the drunken fights started up nearby. People had parked their campers along the parade route days ahead of time and some had started drinking around 5am the day of the parade. There's no reason to get drunk for a parade where children will be around trying to catch things thrown from the floats. In some cases, these drunks will push aside kids to try to get the beads or trinkets thrown from the floats. Some have even snatched it out of the kids hands. All for some cheap piece of plastic that the child would enjoy longer than the drunk's buzz. To hell with Mardi Gras and all the drunks, drug addicts, and thieves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 AM

772 posts, read 4,096,355 times
Mardi Gras does have some problems, that's for sure. Even ours here in Shreveport have problems, I'm not sure about this weekend but at one parade last weekend there were around 100 arrests. But out of some 400,000+ people that is nothing really. Everyone knows if you don't want a wild experience, don't go to New Orleans. No other Louisiana parades compare to those in New Orleans, so we have that to be thankful for.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,098,878 times
I've been enjoying Mardi Gras for 30+ years in New Orleans. I've heard of these occurences on the news, but have never witnessed much more than someone throwing up on a side street. All in all, people have their fun and are respectful of others, and the police do a good job of keeping order. If you want a "wild experience" in New Orleans, you can find it, but its not on every street corner.

P.S. Campers parked on the parade route is not describing New Orleans; that may be what happens in Shreveport, but in New Orleans we have ladders.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 PM

772 posts, read 4,096,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I've been enjoying Mardi Gras for 30+ years in New Orleans. I've heard of these occurences on the news, but have never witnessed much more than someone throwing up on a side street. All in all, people have their fun and are respectful of others, and the police do a good job of keeping order. If you want a "wild experience" in New Orleans, you can find it, but its not on every street corner.

P.S. Campers parked on the parade route is not describing New Orleans; that may be what happens in Shreveport, but in New Orleans we have ladders.
He wasn't describing Shreveport, but that is what happens here nonetheless. The organizers of the parades here weren't very forward-thinking in their parade locations. I would much prefer the parades be held downtown, which would also lead to more of the old buildings down there adding balconies onto the facades... it would definitely create a more lively scene.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 PM

15,578 posts, read 37,259,530 times
I'm just curious ...

I've been to New Orleans, but have never been there during Mardi Gras. When they show it on TV here, it seems that the only people getting beads are people who show their privates or get naked.

I have never had the desire to go to Mardi Gras because when I see it on TV it looks like a bunch of drunks looking for a fight, people puking and peeing everywhere, naked people, girls showing their breasts. I would never want to subject my kids to that, much less myself.

Is it really like that or do TV shows like COPS and the news just sensationalize it?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:03 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,215,463 times
there's all that and more at the New Orleans Mardi Gras.

I live in Lafayette. The parade with the campers was Carencro.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:04 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,281,925 times
-Runs through and flashes you all-

Where are my beads?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:07 PM

(Throws beads at Colddiamond)

Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 PM

BTW - I just had a flashback! A long time ago, at least 20 years ago - I used to have a neighbor who was from NO. She would throw a Mardi Gras party in her home and have a "King Cake" with a plastic baby inside it. I can't remember what the significance of that was, but I think it had something to do with Queen for a Day. Can you guys hip me to that whole King Cake thing?

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 02-23-2009 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: Spelled Queen wrong - it was a typo I know how to spell it! LOL

Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,281,925 times
-Catches-

Next person must streak...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana