U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 20,196 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions regarding minimum wage law. Please help.

1) How much is the minimum wage for the State of Louisiana?

2) How much is the minimum wage for the city of New Orleans?

3) How much is the federal minimum wage (now and when they plan to raise it again in 1 or 2 years)?

Ok, now let's say that a private business decides to hire a new employee and pay them minimum wage. Which minimum wage law would that business follow to stay legal (Federal, state, or city)? Would it depend on the state that the business resides in?

Thank you for your help,

G'z One
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 01:39 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,202,007 times
Here's a link to the DOL: The Constitution Series.

According to the DOL, Louisiana does not have a minimum wage law.

As to whether the minimum wage will increase, I would expect so, now that there is a Democrat president.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 20,196 times
Ok, I was going to ask the following:

"So does that mean private businesses in Louisiana have to follow the federal minimum wage when paying employees minimum wage?"

However, I found the following at "The United States Department of labor" website ( http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/flsa/ ):

"The federal minimum wage is $6.55 per hour effective July 24, 2008; and $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. Many states also have minimum wage laws. In cases where an employee is subject to both state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher minimum wage."

Therefore, I assume that means that businesses in LA have to follow the $6.55 per hour minimum wage law. However, if I'm wrong, then please let me know! I want to make sure I know what’s going on!

I also found out that New Orleans once had a citywide minimum wage that was above the national ( http://www.seiu100.org/index.php?id=425 )
, but it was overturned by a state law that bans local wage standards ( http://www.dsausa.org/lowwage/newsitems/NewOrleans.html ).

A lower court’s ruling on the subject:

( http://www.loyno.edu/~quigley/Livwage/livwagjudg.pdf )

However;

"On September 4, the Louisiana Supreme Court struck down the New Orleans minimum wage law under the 1997 state law that bans local wage standards."

Ok, so after all that, I was wonder in the last five years (particularly after Katrina) has New Orleans put in place a new law that raises minimum wages within the city?

Thanks for your help,

G'z One

Old 03-02-2009, 04:56 PM

10 posts, read 43,415 times
You can be paid no less than the highest minimum wage that applies to you for the first 40 hours of every week. After 40 hours, you are entitled to time and a half.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:10 PM

24 posts, read 73,337 times
I know that in Texas, if you work for tips, you only have to be paid a certain percentage of minimum wage. You can have waiters and bartenders working for I think $2.60 an hour because the rest is assumed to be made up of tips.

This is why I don't like tipping. I shouldn't be responsible for paying the wages of someone else's employees.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 AM

32 posts, read 149,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLaTexana View Post
This is why I don't like tipping. I shouldn't be responsible for paying the wages of someone else's employees.
I've heard this position many times... Either way, you are going to pay the wage. If tipped wages went to regular pay, the cost of your meals would go up to cover it.

Personally, I like tipping. Before college, I worked as a waitress. Now that I'm financially secure, I enjoy tipping heavy for a job well done as I know how appreciated it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana