U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM

63 posts, read 259,619 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know this is the LA. forum. We just moved to Alexandria a few mos. ago. My daughter needs to go to a Dr. in dallas in a few mos. I am trying to time it with a vacation time for the family. Anyone know what all there is to do in that area-besides shopping (not a big shopper, unless it's flea markets or something like that...) I have a 17 yr. old son that likes outdoorsy stuff and a 13 yr. old city girl that likes theme parks and teen type stuff-besides shopping! sorry, but spending vacation at a mall sounds boring to me! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 AM

1,479 posts, read 7,202,007 times
There is LOTS to do in the Dallas area.

Six Flags immediately comes to mind, but if that's not your thing, there are lots of other things to do. Here's the Dallas visitor's bureau website: Dallas Attractions - Things To Do in Dallas, TX.

We are in that area every year, and we've enjoyed the Heritage Museum, the zoo, the aquarium, Dinosaur Valley state park and Fossil Rim. Oh, and the Flight Museum is great. If you're into rodeos, there's the world-famous Mesquite rodeo.

The Arboretum has nice walking trails and the park itself is a gem.

Cedar Ridge (used to be the Dallas Nature Center) has beautiful hiking trails. I think they have guided walks and programs too.

I think if you start googling some of the above you'll soon find more things that interest you.

BUT: Don't just drive to Dallas without visiting some less well-known East Texas attractions along the way.

You'll probably take I20 from Shreveport to Dallas.

Near Waskom, in Jonesville, is the T.C. Lindsey General Store. Backroads: A visit to the T.C.Lindsey General Store.

On the way you'll pass near Kilgore. Check out the East Texas Oil Museum there and walk around the town. Very cool. East Texas Oil Museum Online

A little off the highway is Tyler, home of the Rose Museum. There are huge, wonderful rose gardens behind the museum. The Texas Rose Festival & Tyler Rose Museum (http://www.texasrosefestival.com/index.htm - broken link).

If you are willing to drive a bit further, visit Athens, the home of the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center. TPWD: Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center. This is one of our favorite Texas places. The aquariums are spectacular. You can tour the hatcheries. You can walk through the outdoor nature trail, you can visit the museum. This place is amazing, and there's something for everyone. I can't imagine a visit to the area without stopping there.

Finally, north of Bossier City is Oil City, the home of a cool little museum. http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/Portals/0/museums/pdf/LSOAGM%20Brochure.pdf (broken link).
We first visited this place many years ago when it was housed in the former train depot and staffed by the widow of the man who started the historical collection. It was his dream to create a museum that would chronicle the history of the region. Unfortunately, he didn't live to see his dream become a reality. If you like history, this is worth seeing.

Hope this is enough to get started. Enjoy your trip!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 AM

772 posts, read 4,096,355 times
Dallas is 3 hours west of Shreveport and there is PLENTY to do there. In the suburb of Arlington, between Dallas and Ft. Worth, they have Six Flags, and right around the corner from there they have the Texas Rangers stadium. And now, just down the street from the Rangers stadium is the new Cowboys stadium.

For the outdoors stuff, they have 2 Bass Pro Shops, and both are bigger than the one here in Shreveport. One is in Grapevine and one is in Garland, both of which are huge Dallas suburbs. The one in Garland is part of the fairly new Firewheel Towne Center. I think that's the name. Definitely something to check out. Or if you went to Grapevine, their Bass Pro Shop is right across the street from Grapevine Mills, which is an enormous outlet mall similar to Shreveport's Louisiana Boardwalk but all indoors and much larger. Also there is an Embassy Suites hotel attached to the Bass Pro in Grapevine, and down the street is the Gaylord Texan Resort and the Great Wolf Lodge. Also the Dallas Cowboys country club and golf course is in Grapevine as well.

I'm a city boy so I just enjoy walking around downtown Dallas. There is a LOT to see down there, like the West End which has lots of restaurants, though it's not quite what it once was. Oh, and there is also a Medieval Times in Uptown Dallas.... I did that around Christmas when I went over there for the Christmas parade and it was a lot of fun. Expensive, but fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or