U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 AM

24 posts, read 107,024 times

Advertisements

I was okay with this idea. I actually applauded the notion. Why shouldn't college kids who go through the appropriate process be allowed to carry a gun on campus? They are allowed to carry a gun everywhere else if they want to... why not school?

Whatever your views on the 2nd amendment, to me, it just seems wrong to ban a Constitutional right at a public school. (A private school is a different story.) I have a big problem with the hypocrisy of a public school not upholding the Constitution.

I was in college in California in the late 90s and early 2000s.... Columbine was fresh in everyone's mind... I had a concealed weapon permit and I carried a weapon on campus for a while... it was against the rules and I didn't care. I would get out of class well after 10:00 at night and the campus was not in a good area.

Yes, I agree that I gun would not guarantee my safety, but I had a real problem with the notion of not even having a fighting chance. I figured better safe than sorry. I also figured if by some unfortunate circumstance I did shoot some crazy student or criminal who was threatening the life of me or my classmates no one in their right mind would prosecute me for that.

Oh, and incase you were wondering... I am not some gun nut... I don't even own one since leaving CA.

Last edited by mark_marquette; 03-09-2009 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-09-2009, 07:22 AM

1,269 posts, read 2,179,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_marquette View Post
I was okay with this idea. I actually applauded the notion. Why shouldn't college kids who go through the appropriate process be allowed to carry a gun on campus? They are allowed to carry a gun everywhere else if they want to... why not school?

Whatever your views on the 2nd amendment, to me, it just seems wrong to ban a Constitutional right at a public school. (A private school is a different story.) I have a big problem with the hypocrisy of a public school not upholding the Constitution.

I was in college in California in the late 90s and early 2000s.... Columbine was fresh in everyone's mind... I had a concealed weapon permit and I carried a weapon on campus for a while... it was against the rules and I didn't care. I would get out of class well after 10:00 at night and the campus was not in a good area.

Yes, I agree that I gun would not guarantee my safety, but I had a real problem with the notion of not even having a fighting chance. I figured better safe than sorry. I also figured if by some unfortunate circumstance I did shoot some crazy student or criminal who was threatening the life of me or my classmates no one in their right mind would prosecute me for that.

Oh, and incase you were wondering... I am not some gun nut... I don't even own one since leaving CA.
I understand this because I believe people have the right to defend themselves but look at the nut jobs who did take guns to school and killed so many innocent people! I agree that some people could be responsible enough to do this but what about the nuts who are not? The colleges can not just say well Billy Bob is a good responsible person he can carry a gun. Now Joe Bob he shows some signs of being over the edge at times so no gun for him! That discrimination and public schools or colleges can not do that!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 AM

772 posts, read 4,098,835 times
Wait, I thought we were talking about school kids here ... not college adults. I'm confused, but that shouldn't be any surprise.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Wait, I thought we were talking about school kids here ... not college adults. I'm confused, but that shouldn't be any surprise.
Yes college aged students if I knew high school students could carry guns to school I would have already pulled them out of school and be home schooling them now! LOL

Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
Yes college aged students if I knew high school students could carry guns to school I would have already pulled them out of school and be home schooling them now! LOL
When I hear "school kids" I think young children. Sorry, the literal Aspie strikes again.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
When I hear "school kids" I think young children. Sorry, the literal Aspie strikes again.
I understand because Dakota is the same way! He analyzes every detail of every thing. There are no simple answers with him you have to explain in very vivid details! And no jokes because he takes them serious too! But that is a totally different subject! LOL

Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
I understand because Dakota is the same way! He analyzes every detail of every thing. There are no simple answers with him you have to explain in very vivid details! And no jokes because he takes them serious too! But that is a totally different subject! LOL
Well then there seems to be hope for him. Because until just a few years ago I had very little in the way of sense of humor. I didn't really "get" sarcasm, and often when someone would joke with me I would get very angry with them thinking they were being mean rather than joking. Only in the past few years have I become a sarcastic person, I can laugh and joke with people but I am careful because I sometimes am afraid of saying something that people might misinterpret ... since I did exactly that for most of my life. And sometimes my attempts at humor would anger people because what sounded funny to me in my head was only upsetting to those around me.

Also, if your child laughs when he should be crying or mourning, don't be upset. For most of my life my parents called me "evil" because I would laugh when I got into trouble or laugh at my dad as he spanked my butt. It hurt like hell, but my brain isn't wired right right (so to speak) so I would just laugh and that would anger him more. Death of loved ones bothered me, but I never knew how to show it. I still don't. I've never gone to a funeral because I don't understand the mourning/grieving process. I hate when people die, but I simply don't grieve like everyone else.

I found out yesterday that a dear old man who knew me from when I was in diapers died a few weeks ago. He was an old neighbor of mine for the first 23 years of my life, and someone I thought would always be around. He was going to live forever, he was like a grandfather to me. It bothers me to know he has died, but I find myself not grieving the loss. In fact I would go visit his wife but I am afraid of how I will come across. Will she think I'm sincere? I know I will be sincere but my expressions and words may not come across that way.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,152,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Disagree with you about it being a good idea.

Agree with you regarding that bad guys do what they want, only good guys follow rules.

Self defense, like free speech, is the most basic of rights. Nut cases like the Virginia Tech perp go to places where they know there will be little or no resistance.

A "Gun Free Zone" is a self-defense free zone, and bad guys appreciate the signs telling them that. It is a feelgood notion that does absolutely nothing to increase one's safety.

Honest citizens who get permits and carry concealed are not a threat. The incidence of misuse is almost zilch.

If you will take notice, the big media are about 100% anti-self defense, 100% anti-gun. You NEVER hear about the two million plus people per year who stop bad guys in their tracks courtesy of their self defense implements.

One of the reasons Japan's WWII Admiral Yamamoto nixed any ideas of coming on east to California after the Pearl Harbor massacre was that "there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" in America.

Self defense is not only a right, it is also a responsibility.
Cops are almost never there during the crime.
They investigate and call in the CSI folks.
Later maybe they arrest the perps.
But 911 is not going to be there in time. Americans are becoming lazy, puffy, and afraid to protect themselves. One of the very few people who resisted--rather than run off--at Virginia Tech was a WWII era Jewish professor.

The kids all ran off.
If you're in a group of 20 and there's one guy with a gun, he can kill you all as you cower.
Or you can rush him en masse and a few of you might buy it and you might not. There are few weapons that hold 20 rounds. If he kills six or 10, there are 10 remaining to take him down while he reloads.
Surrender in the face of a madman is a sure way to get hurt or killed.

This used to be common knowledge in the US.
Where did I say it was a good idea? I clearly stated that I don't think it is a good idea at all.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:30 PM

10 posts, read 43,467 times
I currently go to college in upstate New York (very rural, if you don't know the NE) and the first thing that came to mind when I read this was hunting. Until Virginia Tech, students here were allowed to keep weapons in provided storage facilities. Students had both guns and bows for sport and hunting. When they were banned after VT students started keeping them (illegally) in their dorms or cars, which is much less safe.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM

32 posts, read 149,222 times
Perhaps having a semester long class on gun safety and gun laws prior to being able to carry on campus would be a good idea if this gets approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or