U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM

17,208 posts, read 22,966,707 times

Advertisements

Research Appalachian School of Law...there was a shooter there intent on the same thing that happened later at VA Tech, but the shooter was stopped before it got to over 30 people dead, by students who had guns in their cars and went to get them...

Gun free zones just attract crazy killers because they know they can do what they want without anyone stopping them. A piece of paper saying no guns does not keep you safe. A gun in your pocket allows you to defend yourself. And at colleges we're talking adults not kids...often older adults too. Almost half the students at college when I went were older people...

Old 03-09-2009, 04:10 PM

4,676 posts, read 7,494,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
What the hell are you rambling about? There is a difference between adults (even though one could make a case about how many adults are really even mature enough to handle a gun) and children. Children shouldn't have guns at school. Period.
Try reading the original post before you go off with the exclamations.
Moderator cut: insult

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Having a gun will not necessarily protect you from someone with a gun. Every year, across the country, police officers are shot and killed in the line. These are trained officers, better trained with a pistol than almost all other Americans, and it doesn't help them.

While I agree that gun ownership is a right to all Americans, it should be up to the individual campus to allow guns on the property. Just like it is up to certain businesses to allow weapons on the premises. No one forces anyone to go to a particular college or university, therefore it's not really an issue. If a student goes to a college, he does so knowing that he cannot bring a weapon on campus.
Police officers are killed in the line of duty every year. More are killed in vehicle wrecks than by guns, either bad guys' or theirs' taken from them during a fight. Police work is dangerous.

MORE police disarm or disable armed perpetrators, by many magnetudes, than are killed in the line of duty.
Life is a crapshoot, when a guy exits a car firing and you're belted in, your odds go down.
But the argument that trained officers get killed, therefore some dumb citizen has no clue about how to defend himself, holds no water.

Many soldiers are killed every year, too, even though they're armed to the teeth and trained, and trained some more. Guess they shouldn't carry firearms either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Wait, I thought we were talking about school kids here ... not college adults. I'm confused, but that shouldn't be any surprise.
Try reading the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
Yes college aged students if I knew high school students could carry guns to school I would have already pulled them out of school and be home schooling them now! LOL
High school kids used to commonly carry guns, usually rifles for after-school hunting.
I think you'll find you can count on one hand the incidences, over the course of a decade, of them going crazy and killing six or 12 people any time before 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Where did I say it was a good idea? I clearly stated that I don't think it is a good idea at all.
I said I disagree with you about it being a good idea.
You said you though it was a bad idea. I said I disagree with you.

Consider my phrase re-worded: "I disagree that this is a bad idea. I think it is a good idea."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBunster View Post
Perhaps having a semester long class on gun safety and gun laws prior to being able to carry on campus would be a good idea if this gets approved.
Excellent idea if taught by an instructor from GOA, NRA, Heritage Foundation, or someone other than a leftist professor turning it into an anti-gun rant and propagandafest.

Same goes for a semester or two memorizing and studying the constitution. Probably better taught online at the Heritage Foundation than on your typical college campus.

Last edited by leorah; 03-09-2009 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Please, attack the idea, not the person

Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,179,676 times
Next month is when they vote on this issue of guns! I heard on the news today two girls at Monroe carried a gun to school for revenge on someone. point proven some of the people could not handle the responsible of it!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:18 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,208,208 times
Okay folks: Personal attacks, insults, vulgarity, and off-topic posts will not be allowed on this forum. If a post is out of line, report it. Do not engage in flame wars.

This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or