Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 12:59 PM

157 posts, read 560,346 times

Advertisements

I will need a temp rental for 3 months until I purchase in Lafayette. Moving in August or Sept. Does anyone know if I can find something in a safe area around Lafayette that will take 2 dogs.
Both are 60 lbs and housebroken. Will need fenced yard.

I am concerned what to do. Any suggestions where I can find something. I will work in Lafayette but can live anywhere within 30 minutes. Please help me with ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 10:15 AM

16 posts, read 56,364 times
I live in the broadmoor area (big neighborhood that stretches from ambassador to south college on the east side of johnston st)

the antigua dr, gerald, alice, harrell, etc are all awesome streets. clean yards, nice houses, quiet neighbors. To me it's the best neighborhood in lafayette to live in, and its 1 minute from ambassador and johnston so you can get to almost any business or restaurant in just a couple of minutes. I know on antigua dr. right now there are 4 houses for rent and one for sale. there are rent houses at the moment on almost all the streets i named. As far as a 3 month lease, that's going to be your only problem. you may have to get a pet-friendly condo or apartment to get a lease that short.

That being said, either way you go stay on the side of town i mentioned. you really don't want to live on the north side of lafayette.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:08 AM

So a person does not want to live in Opelousus or Carenco is that right? Or do you mean N Lafayette?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:19 AM

16 posts, read 56,364 times
I meant the north side of the city of Lafayette, it's pretty ghetto and far from all the good stuff on the south side. For an example google map search Joan Street, and then stay far away from it. There are some nice neighborhoods in Carencro, and it's not too far from Lafayette. I wouldn't touch Opelousas. Driving to Lafayette everyday gets to be a real pain from Opelousas, I've done it. Plus the fact that Opelousas sucks, in my and people i know's opinion.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:56 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darchinst View Post
I live in the broadmoor area (big neighborhood that stretches from ambassador to south college on the east side of johnston st)

the antigua dr, gerald, alice, harrell, etc are all awesome streets. clean yards, nice houses, quiet neighbors. To me it's the best neighborhood in lafayette to live in, and its 1 minute from ambassador and johnston so you can get to almost any business or restaurant in just a couple of minutes. I know on antigua dr. right now there are 4 houses for rent and one for sale. there are rent houses at the moment on almost all the streets i named. As far as a 3 month lease, that's going to be your only problem. you may have to get a pet-friendly condo or apartment to get a lease that short.

That being said, either way you go stay on the side of town i mentioned. you really don't want to live on the north side of lafayette.
yeah I live in that area and have to agree. this is a pretty safe and nice looking neighborhood. however some of the retail areas just off of Johnston street near here get robbed on occasion. I guess thats part of living next to the main business sector in town.

However, the north side has some nice areas as I have said many itmes before. In fact crime on the northernmost section of town is almost nonexistent. The southside crime rate has actually risen in recent years because this is where the money is.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 AM

49 posts, read 205,167 times
GoreeGal

Yes I do agree that the Broadmore area is nice, but its all in the type of area you want to live. Broadmore area may be close to everything (mall resturants ect.) but it is in congested area of town. I grew up in Carencro and graduated high school there and boy has it changed and grown since 1996 for the better I may add. You may find rentals in that area, your best bet is to look thru the quick quarter, and find someone that will rent on a month to month basis good luck that will be hard to find.

Darchinst don't dis Opelousas, I've moved to Opelousas in 2006 and was skeptical about the place myself, but things are changing here (for the better), Thanks to the new Mayor, I don't know what people where thinking when they voted for Anna Simmons (the previous mayor). I make the drive to Lafayette everyday and its not a bad drive, just depends on where your going in the city. My drive just takes me 25-30 min as I only have to drive to my Employment near the Airport. If my employment was somewhere near Ambassador caffery and Johnston I wouldn't want to make that drive everyday because of all the congestion in that area I would have moved to say Maurice or Abbeville. I could drive to Alexandria or Baton Rouge in the same amount of time it would take me to get to the Mall of Acadiana. There are plenty of new homes & subdivisions going up all along I-49 between Carencro & Opelousas, and Opelousas is getting a Raising Canes so things are changing here.
Here is the city of Opelousas website

City of Opelousas

Goreegal
If you do choose Opelousas, just find someplace south of Creswell Lane, Park Vista is a nice safe neighborhood, similar to Broadmore, just more racially diversed, There are also townhomes right off of I-49 near Linwood estates that may have rentals. Just stay away from the neighborhood behind the Lowes, and near the Louana Oil Plant or any neighborhood North of the Downtown area of Opelousas its Kinda Gettoish like certain areas of North Lafayette. I live in a racially diverse Neighborhood near South City Park, and have never had any problems, all of my neighbors are nice and I was a bit shocked by the welcome that I got when I moved there, Most of my neighbors came to introduce themselves when I was moving in both white & black, gay & straight & asian it was a very welcoming experience, Everyone in our little historic neighborhood kinda all looks out for each other. I do live in the Historic district and alot of the old homes are being purchased and restored. It all just depends on what your looking for, one of my neighbors has just bought and is in the process of renovating a home in the neighborhood for rental, if Your intrested PM me and Ill get you his #.

As with every move everyone makes it is probably best to alway check out the areas personally to see if it fits for you, and alway drive thru at night to see what the neighborhood is like at night. (people hanging out on street corners at Night is not good).

Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 PM

Gee thanks lots to absorb. I have written many ads on Craigs list and one year lease is all they will do plus even if they say dogs will not take 2 50 lb ones. they are more under control than most peoples kids.

Any ideas on some local company or news paper to search in/

Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 AM

49 posts, read 205,167 times
Goreegal

Try this site it is the, Quick Quarter you can just about find anything locally in here, from rental homes, apt, homes for sale by owner, garage sales, cars, pets. ect...

Quik Quarter Classifieds - Lafayette, Louisiana

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana