U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,178,754 times
Reputation: 1496

Advertisements

So what is the best thing to you about Louisiana and or your town? I hate to say this but really I have not seen much of LA yet! But the town I live in has a lake and we like to take the kids there on nice days and let them play or go on a nature walk with them. Some times it gets crazy trying to push the stroller with the twins down the trail! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Chicago--Bucktown
425 posts, read 1,303,136 times
Reputation: 171
Well this is very cliche, and will probably be said many times, but the food is the best thing about Louisiana. Cooking in Louisiana is as important as religion, and you can taste the love and the pride in the food. You can tell when you eat Louisiana food that the cook really enjoys entertaining and pleasing others through his art.

The physical beauty of the state is the other best part. Look at my pictures of Caddo Lake that I posted in the "Pix" sticky for a great example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,178,754 times
Reputation: 1496
Well once again I have not had very much "real" Louisiana food and do not like shrimp or crawfish! So sad huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,178,754 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Well this is very cliche, and will probably be said many times, but the food is the best thing about Louisiana. Cooking in Louisiana is as important as religion, and you can taste the love and the pride in the food. You can tell when you eat Louisiana food that the cook really enjoys entertaining and pleasing others through his art.

The physical beauty of the state is the other best part. Look at my pictures of Caddo Lake that I posted in the "Pix" sticky for a great example.
Where is lake caddo? Another thing I think is cool about Louisiana is the history. I like hearing stories and stuff! I mean you got all kinds of history here and it kinda fun to think about the ghost tells too that are here! Plus I would love to go one day down south to go see all the plantation homes! I love them. I told my husband if we ever get rich I wanna buid a house just like the old plantation homes only with AC in ours! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Chicago--Bucktown
425 posts, read 1,303,136 times
Reputation: 171
Louisiana food is not all seafood, it is more a style of cooking. But my girlfriend from Chicago is allergic to seafood, so I have come up with many dishes that won't kill her, but still have all the flavor of good Louisiana food. The food is so much more than crawfish.

Caddo Lake is in NW Louisiana, it spans the border between LA and TX. If you like history, you should definitely check out the area. Many of the little towns around the lake are frozen in time from about 100 years ago. You can just do a Google search for it and you'll find out all about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Louisiana
772 posts, read 4,097,292 times
Reputation: 278
Stacie, personally I think the cities are the best thing about Louisiana. Though not as large as I'd prefer, the state's 4 largest cities are rather nice to visit and you should check them out when you get the chance. In order, with the largest first: New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lafayette. You're an hour and a half from Shreveport, you can actually come over here any time - and I encourage you to do so. But if you ever get a chance, I also encourage you to hit Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans. All three of these cities are along the I-10 corridor in south Louisiana and all are worth a visit. Being from Arkansas, you will definitely see that Louisiana is quite different. Where we're at in northern Louisiana (me in the northwest and you in the northeast) we're more like Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi up this way, but south Louisiana truly is another world in itself and it is quite nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,178,754 times
Reputation: 1496
Well I guess I need to learn to cook then! LOL maybe you could give me some recipes! My husband does most of the cooking when he is home. When he is gone I cook for the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,178,754 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Stacie, personally I think the cities are the best thing about Louisiana. Though not as large as I'd prefer, the state's 4 largest cities are rather nice to visit and you should check them out when you get the chance. In order, with the largest first: New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lafayette. You're an hour and a half from Shreveport, you can actually come over here any time - and I encourage you to do so. But if you ever get a chance, I also encourage you to hit Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans. All three of these cities are along the I-10 corridor in south Louisiana and all are worth a visit. Being from Arkansas, you will definitely see that Louisiana is quite different. Where we're at in northern Louisiana (me in the northwest and you in the northeast) we're more like Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi up this way, but south Louisiana truly is another world in itself and it is quite nice.
I have been through
Shreveport a few times even baton rouge once but on the big truck with my hubby! I would love to go in a car so we could really explore them! My son Dakota wants to go somewhere where he can see alligators! That is part of his interest reptiles and alligators! LOL but sometimes it is hard to get away with 5 kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,178,754 times
Reputation: 1496
Can yall suggest places in NO or BR. That I need to see? Things that might be of interest. Let me know I feel like a tourist in the state I live in! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Louisiana
772 posts, read 4,097,292 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
I have been through
Shreveport a few times even baton rouge once but on the big truck with my hubby! I would love to go in a car so we could really explore them! My son Dakota wants to go somewhere where he can see alligators! That is part of his interest reptiles and alligators! LOL but sometimes it is hard to get away with 5 kids!
Alligators within driving distance to you... not sure about Monroe, but there are three good places over this way: Bass Pro Shop in Bossier City has an alligator pond out front, there is an alligator farm and petting zoo in Greenwood (west Shreveport/Texas state line area) that has a gator pond you can walk around, and there is a big alligator park in Natchitoches that is rather large, with awesome feeding shows. In fact, the A&E channel has a "reality" show based in Shreveport-Bossier called The Exterminators, and on last week's episode they had to rid the gator park in Natchitoches of a ton of fire ants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top