U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:49 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,177,745 times

Advertisements

Ok what the best Louisiana dishes/food I need to try? Best restaurants in north Louisiana?(I am not really big on shrimp)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,891,504 times
My favorite is Chicken Sauce Piquant. Of course, you certainly can't go wrong with Gumbo (Seafood or Chicken and Sausage, Red Beans and Rice with Andouille Sausage, Crawfish or Shrimp Etouffé, Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya, Cajun Blackened Chicken Alfredo, Dirty Rice,....argh, this is making me crave some cajun food!

Of course, for lunch make sure you get a PoBoy or Muffaletta....and for dessert...a bananas foster!

P.S. Northern Louisiana is more "southern" in terms of food and culture. Southern Louisiana (i.e. Lafayette, New Iberia, Morgan City, etc.) is pure cajun country....and within the New Orleans area is Creole. I'm sure you will be able to find great restaurants in N LA that serve cajun and/or creole food...but the above is something to keep in mind if you are wanting to experience true authenticity all around.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 AM

425 posts, read 1,302,718 times
Try fried alligator. That's certainly pretty authentic to Louisiana, and it doesn't taste like seafood. Tastes more like the dark meat from fried chicken. Coincidentally, the best fried alligator dish I ever had wasn't in Louisiana. It was actually a special at an Austin taco trailer. Flour tortilla, fried alligator, and a honey-tabasco ranch sauce. It was amazing, and I would make it myself if I could ever find a place to buy alligator in Chicago.

In your area, I don't know too many restaurants. I never did spend much time in NE Louisiana (as an Airline kid, I always had problems with West Monroe lol)

Old 03-13-2009, 10:38 AM

1,269 posts, read 2,177,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Try fried alligator. That's certainly pretty authentic to Louisiana, and it doesn't taste like seafood. Tastes more like the dark meat from fried chicken. Coincidentally, the best fried alligator dish I ever had wasn't in Louisiana. It was actually a special at an Austin taco trailer. Flour tortilla, fried alligator, and a honey-tabasco ranch sauce. It was amazing, and I would make it myself if I could ever find a place to buy alligator in Chicago.

In your area, I don't know too many restaurants. I never did spend much time in NE Louisiana (as an Airline kid, I always had problems with West Monroe lol)
When we lived in Arkansas as teenagers my brothers and their buddies would go to the river and have a little courage in a can. Then they would kill alligators and sometimes fry one up! I never tryed it but they all liked it! I should try it someday.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:19 AM

13 posts, read 88,559 times
I would definetly say try Strawn's Eat Shop in Shreveport. I love their daily lunch specials and the strawberry pie is to DIE for. It is soooo good. As far as typical "Louisiana" cuisine there is lots of stuff to eat such as gumbo, jambalaya, fried alligator, red beans and rice, and of course seafood. One thing I like that you dont really find in North Louisiana are beignets. Fried dough with powdered sugar. Yummy!!!! Alot of Louisiana serves soul food like greens, hamhocks, okra, smothered porkchops etc....

Old 03-14-2009, 01:48 AM

772 posts, read 4,096,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl1977 View Post
I would definetly say try Strawn's Eat Shop in Shreveport. I love their daily lunch specials and the strawberry pie is to DIE for. It is soooo good. As far as typical "Louisiana" cuisine there is lots of stuff to eat such as gumbo, jambalaya, fried alligator, red beans and rice, and of course seafood. One thing I like that you dont really find in North Louisiana are beignets. Fried dough with powdered sugar. Yummy!!!! Alot of Louisiana serves soul food like greens, hamhocks, okra, smothered porkchops etc....
Yes, noth Louisiana is lacking on beignets! As far as Strawn's, I only like their breakfast and their hamburgers. Nothing else. They do have three locations, though (Kings Hwy/Centenary College area, Youree Drive @ 70th Street, and Airline Drive across from Wal-Mart) so they are rather convenient.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:48 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,891,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Yes, noth Louisiana is lacking on beignets! As far as Strawn's, I only like their breakfast and their hamburgers. Nothing else. They do have three locations, though (Kings Hwy/Centenary College area, Youree Drive @ 70th Street, and Airline Drive across from Wal-Mart) so they are rather convenient.

There is always the option of buying the beignet mix and coffee with chicory at the grocery store! At least...that's what I have to do... lol

Old 03-14-2009, 03:39 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,067,853 times
Things have changed a lot since I was last in Shreveport, there's so much of that mediocre chain restaurant food up there now that the city hardly has an identity of its own — just like Baton Rouge where I live, it looks like S'port is great for those who don't really have high standards. Strawns was great 30 years ago.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:46 PM

2,796 posts, read 6,872,788 times
Natchitoches meat pies are great! The Poboys (there are several kinds, not just seafood), muffalettas, are just a few of the examples of food here. Pork chops are a large item along with fried chicken and catfish served at lunch buffets and diners. BBQ usually includes ham, sausage, brisket, ribs, chicken, with sides of potato salad, coleslaw, baked beans, onions, peppers. I didn't include Cajun as it is more of a specialty in south la and also ya gotta go down there.

I don't know of anything that really stands out other than the NMP and Muffalettas which were created in NewOrleans by Italian immigrants. Maybe somebody could help me.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:49 PM

2,796 posts, read 6,872,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Things have changed a lot since I was last in Shreveport, there's so much of that mediocre chain restaurant food up there now that the city hardly has an identity of its own — just like Baton Rouge where I live, it looks like S'port is great for those who don't really have high standards. Strawns was great 30 years ago.
Yes and southern cooking is getting to be a rarity around here too. Check out Monroe for this. Still lots of good local diners and restaurants over there with home cookin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or