U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,305 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I live in California but my father and his mother are from Monroe, Louisiana. Back in 1931 sometime, my father's mother was pregnant with my Dad, and was sitting in the segregated part of the bus (or it might have been a trolley back then, not sure) at any rate, a White man told her to get out of her seat in the segregated part of the bus and she refused. He then began to beat her so badly that she took out a knife (probably a pen knife) and stabbed him in the arm. Not surprisingly, the Whites in the area gathered up a lynch party to come and "get" my grandmother. The Coloreds in Atkins quarter where she lived, took her to the local funeral parlor and hid her there for three days. Later on, she went to court and got off with a fine! A fine! In 1931!! Now, even in 2009 that's unheard of!! I just began researching the story, but everyone who would've known about it, that I've tried to contact, have passed. If anyone knows anymore details about this story on either side, I'd love to talk with you. I've researched the courts, there is no record, my father says because they wanted to lynch her they would keep it out of public records, and no story in the paper at that time. I'm looking for anyone alive in their nineties (I know I know a very long shot!) that might be alive who still remembers the incident, on either side. Any help will be greatly appreciated. By the way, her name was Magnolia Sims Frazier. Thanks so much! Jacqueline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,178,241 times
I wish you luck on finding out it! Wish I could help but not even from here! But seriously good luck!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:09 AM

430 posts, read 332,251 times
I know where the Atkins Quarter (aka the The Quarters, or AQ) is in Monroe. It was a very beautiful area once upon a time. Alot of mansions are still up and still in great condition. Matter of fact relatives of ancestors still live in these nice homes. You probably will only get answers only if you travel here. Im sure if it was me, I know I could get answers. Interesting story by the way.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 AM

4 posts, read 8,838 times
Thumbs up Gramma's House

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
I know where the Atkins Quarter (aka the The Quarters, or AQ) is in Monroe. It was a very beautiful area once upon a time. Alot of mansions are still up and still in great condition. Matter of fact relatives of ancestors still live in these nice homes. You probably will only get answers only if you travel here. Im sure if it was me, I know I could get answers. Interesting story by the way.

I'm doing research for my family tree. Three generations of my family were born in a house at 1103 Olive Street in Monroe, Louisiana. I would really like a picture of the earliest date of the house. The earliest owner I show is my great grandmother, Camilla Richardson next was my grandmother Lillie Norman (She and her husband Eddie Norman lived there with their 6 children). They also had borders off and on over the years. I was told via internet the house was torn down for a parking lot. The last time my dad was there was in the late 80' or early 90's, when my mom could still travel, they have both passed but I started this before and it is now even more important.

Thanks again in advance for any help you are able to give

Barbara Norman-Freeman

Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 AM

Default My Granmma

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowdrop View Post
Hello everyone, I live in California but my father and his mother are from Monroe, Louisiana. Back in 1931 sometime, my father's mother was pregnant with my Dad, and was sitting in the segregated part of the bus (or it might have been a trolley back then, not sure) at any rate, a White man told her to get out of her seat in the segregated part of the bus and she refused. He then began to beat her so badly that she took out a knife (probably a pen knife) and stabbed him in the arm. Not surprisingly, the Whites in the area gathered up a lynch party to come and "get" my grandmother. The Coloreds in Atkins quarter where she lived, took her to the local funeral parlor and hid her there for three days. Later on, she went to court and got off with a fine! A fine! In 1931!! Now, even in 2009 that's unheard of!! I just began researching the story, but everyone who would've known about it, that I've tried to contact, have passed. If anyone knows anymore details about this story on either side, I'd love to talk with you. I've researched the courts, there is no record, my father says because they wanted to lynch her they would keep it out of public records, and no story in the paper at that time. I'm looking for anyone alive in their nineties (I know I know a very long shot!) that might be alive who still remembers the incident, on either side. Any help will be greatly appreciated. By the way, her name was Magnolia Sims Frazier. Thanks so much! Jacqueline

Jacqueline, My great grandmother's name was Mary J. Sims, John Sims was her second husband and he didn't adopt my grandfather but he treated him like a son. Her first husband's name was John Parham. They all started out in Little Rock Arkansas and wound up in Monroe and De Ridder, Louisiana. I just thought it was interesting about the last names.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 PM

430 posts, read 332,251 times
I know a family of Sims, and Parham.....stubbled across it. Message me.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 PM

My family is fro Monroe, De Ridder and Arkansas. My great grandmother was Mary J Sims, married to John Sims, her 1st husband was John Henry Parham. My great grand father was Sanders Richardson Married to Camilla Walker. My grand mother was Lillie Norman H Eddie Norman, My father James P Norman Sr. married to Marie Parham. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:05 AM

105 posts, read 133,027 times
Default No leads

The only possible lead is from Ruston, LA. There is an artist who I think is still alive named Sarah Albritton, she actually painted lynchings. But not sure is she would know about lynchings outside the Ruston/Dubach area. Rustin is 30 miles from Monroe. Ms. Albritton should be around 92 now. She is the former owner of "Sarah's Kitchen", everyone in Ruston knows her

Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 PM

19 posts, read 25,921 times
There would have been a public record of some sort, sounds more or less like a made up or greatly exagerated story. Plenty of these sorts of stories out there to help feed the racism frenzy, this forum is prime example with some of the racist posts that are either outright troll posts or just there to create a frenzy where there is none. I'm 41 years old and mod cut I take all those old time stories with a grain of salt, over the years they get embellished greatly. Probably not what you want to hear but just my personal opinion on the matter. good luck with it

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-16-2013 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-19-2016, 06:58 PM

Default Family named: Sims and Parham !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana'sLegend2 View Post
I know a family of Sims, and Parham.....stubbled across it. Message me.
Hi, I know it's been awhile but I'm still here and trying. Do you know any Laday's: Beulah in (Homer, La), Mary in (Opelousas, LA) or Gloria in (New Orleans, LA)? They were my Uncle Normal's half sisters and family. Normal was Mack Henry Parham's son. There is also a Stacey Vickers Brazille who is also of Parham blood.

I am hoping you are still interested. It's been 3 years since my retirement and have just gotten to where I want to be in my life. Now I need to finish this for my children. Hope you can help.

Barbara Norman-Freema
10021 Hedrick Ave.
Riverside, CA 92503
1-949-310-5478
tuffybee3@yahoo.com
FB -- Barbara Freeman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or