U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,179,250 times
Reputation: 1496

Advertisements

I thank you for you answers! I just wanna find a place where my son can get a good education. He has some trouble in school and I am not getting help from the school. I told my hubby we WILL move before school starts this next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 PM
 
42 posts, read 304,085 times
Reputation: 41
Shongaloo, Louisiana (in extreme north Webster parish, 2 miles from Arkansas) has a WONDERFUL, safe, tiny, perfect public school, but it's hard to find housing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 4,981,424 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
SBC, indeed, unless you're into really small towns. NO has hurricanes. BR is blah, plus hurricanes. Ruston is full of cows and college students. Monroe smells funny (Seriously, every time I drive through it stinks. What gives?)

As much as I've knocked Shreveport, it's honestly the best city to live in LA. That's why I left LA.
Baton Rouge is what you make of it. It has an eclectic mixture of universities, government, and the petrochemical industry. And is near enough to New Orleans, Cajun Country, and North Louisiana to have influences from each of those demographics. Not to mention we have a Asian/Middle Eastern population due to the universities and petrochemical plants.

As to the hurricanes, yes, there is the risk of losing power and having tree limbs/trees in your house, but that's applicable to most of Louisiana as well. And Gustav was one of the worst storms (for BR) in recorded history. And we've recovered pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
772 posts, read 4,098,059 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
First of all, Shreveport area is one of the WORST cities to live in Louisiana, unless you live in South Highlands or across the river in Bossier City.

Second, Lafayette is the best place that can really be called a "city". Followed by Baton Rouge.

As far as smaller communities, Mandeville and Destrehan are nice. I also like Carencro, Gonzales, and Houma.
Shreveport has its problems but I certainly wouldn't agree here. When I lived in Shreveport, I loved living in the Spring Lake area despite its close proximity to Cedar Grove.

Shreveport still has many desirable neighborhoods, such as South Highlands (which you mentioned), Broadmoor, some parts of old Highland, Island Park, Twelve Oaks, the University area all around LSUS (including The Haven), Provenance, Ellerbe Road, Southern Trace, Pierremont Hills, and much of the Cross Lake area.

And while Bossier City began as basically a suburb to Shreveport, it has developed its own identity and is a full-fledged city with its own downtown, casinos, nightclubs, sports teams, malls, and even bordering towns that have basically become suburbs to Bossier City.

I have no comment on Lafayette whatsoever, because I have spent a very small amount of time there. People tout Lafayette's culture as one of its biggest draws, but as someone who is not at all impressed by cajun culture, that has no positive effect on my thoughts of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Banana Republic, LA
378 posts, read 1,048,510 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
I thank you for you answers! I just wanna find a place where my son can get a good education. He has some trouble in school and I am not getting help from the school. I told my hubby we WILL move before school starts this next year.
Mandeville is known to have the top-ranked public schools in the state. And personally I love the area. You get the small-town feel but can drive to New Orleans in 30 minutes.

I would start researching the best schools (public or private) and go from there. I've lived in Shreveport, it was OK... I think the schools in Benton are probably good, but I have no idea about those in Shreveport. Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2009, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
772 posts, read 4,098,059 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean View Post
Mandeville is known to have the top-ranked public schools in the state. And personally I love the area. You get the small-town feel but can drive to New Orleans in 30 minutes.

I would start researching the best schools (public or private) and go from there. I've lived in Shreveport, it was OK... I think the schools in Benton are probably good, but I have no idea about those in Shreveport. Good luck with your search.
Only the magnet schools in Shreveport are good, and private schools anywhere are a joke. But Bossier Parish schools in general are good, with Benton being on par with the rest of the parish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2009, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,150,916 times
Reputation: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Shreveport has its problems but I certainly wouldn't agree here. When I lived in Shreveport, I loved living in the Spring Lake area despite its close proximity to Cedar Grove.

Shreveport still has many desirable neighborhoods, such as South Highlands (which you mentioned), Broadmoor, some parts of old Highland, Island Park, Twelve Oaks, the University area all around LSUS (including The Haven), Provenance, Ellerbe Road, Southern Trace, Pierremont Hills, and much of the Cross Lake area.

And while Bossier City began as basically a suburb to Shreveport, it has developed its own identity and is a full-fledged city with its own downtown, casinos, nightclubs, sports teams, malls, and even bordering towns that have basically become suburbs to Bossier City.

I have no comment on Lafayette whatsoever, because I have spent a very small amount of time there. People tout Lafayette's culture as one of its biggest draws, but as someone who is not at all impressed by cajun culture, that has no positive effect on my thoughts of the city.
Well, to each his own I guess. I mentioned the only things I've been impressed with in the area. And from what I've experienced, IMO it is not on par with Lafayette and BR. Bossier City is great though, I really like the riverfront area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2009, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
772 posts, read 4,098,059 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Well, to each his own I guess. I mentioned the only things I've been impressed with in the area. And from what I've experienced, IMO it is not on par with Lafayette and BR. Bossier City is great though, I really like the riverfront area.
Well you've been around here long enough to know that I'm biased, so naturally I see the most value in my own area.

And I was trying to come across as non-argumentative, I hope I was successful in setting the right tone. I definitely didn't want to knock any region or say mine is the best, I just wanted to point out that there is more to Shreveport than just South Highlands. The city has a lot of charm, but unfortunately the poverty level in Shreveport is extremely high and "bad" neighborhoods make up a very disproportionate amount of the city's landscape and that is what most people see. It's really shameful, to be honest. This is why I am partial to Bossier City over Shreveport, but I am partial to my region over the rest of the state.

As I mentioned, Cajun culture doesn't appeal to me like it does some people, and I think that's why I prefer north Louisiana to south Louisiana. But for the record let me state that I am not partial to the southern United States at all, I am only here because I was born and raised here and haven't found the right opportunity to leave yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,179,250 times
Reputation: 1496
I hope maybe I can use some of this information to help make a decision. I just gotta get DH to go along with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2009, 06:08 PM
 
5 posts, read 18,849 times
Reputation: 13
Lafayette,La. is a wonderful place to live. People are so friendly and has a very good university. Not too big to get lost in, but big enough to not feel smothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top