U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 PM

887 posts, read 2,707,804 times

Advertisements

Hah, I will say Arkansas is in my top 10 list for states. The Mena, AR (or northwest arkansas) is a great place for hiking and outdoors, beating anything in North Louisiana. My bad for choice of wording, but I really don't see what the southern part of Arkansas offers unless you enjoy good country living which is exactly the same in North Louisiana.

Eh, I doubt Farmerville has a social scene like Monroe-- I find it easy to get along with fellow fisherman and such, but I think it just comes easier for guys. I wish the Darbonne Woods Charter School would had made headway, my Dad graduated from the Union Parish System in Linville with great memories--and its sad how it is today. Farmerville does have traffic but it is nothing like Monroe from 3-6.

Also, try OCS for schooling-- If you don't want to make the drive, see if anyone can carpool with you, like give them a 20/week for gas to take your child with their own, I've noticed this occuring.. However the price of schooling of OCS may not be economically feasible when the option of moving for a public school education is avaliable. You can also just try moving to Ouachita Parish's system by renting an apartment and sending your kids to Sterlington or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,178,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Hah, I will say Arkansas is in my top 10 list for states. The Mena, AR (or northwest arkansas) is a great place for hiking and outdoors, beating anything in North Louisiana. My bad for choice of wording, but I really don't see what the southern part of Arkansas offers unless you enjoy good country living which is exactly the same in North Louisiana.

Eh, I doubt Farmerville has a social scene like Monroe-- I find it easy to get along with fellow fisherman and such, but I think it just comes easier for guys. I wish the Darbonne Woods Charter School would had made headway, my Dad graduated from the Union Parish System in Linville with great memories--and its sad how it is today. Farmerville does have traffic but it is nothing like Monroe from 3-6.

Also, try OCS for schooling-- If you don't want to make the drive, see if anyone can carpool with you, like give them a 20/week for gas to take your child with their own, I've noticed this occuring.. However the price of schooling of OCS may not be economically feasible when the option of moving for a public school education is avaliable. You can also just try moving to Ouachita Parish's system by renting an apartment and sending your kids to Sterlington or something.
I like south Arkansas because my family is there! If I had to choose somewhere to live it would be probably north Arkansas. * I heard the charter school is going to open after all! That is what someone told me anyway. I am trying to get my kids in. We shall see.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 PM

887 posts, read 2,707,804 times
That should be great news!! If you have problems with that school, it may just be the size of the town--and thus I'd try the El Dorado/Monroe metro. Good luck with that, a better school system would make Union Parish more attractive for growth (even though, I like its quaint size) But if you can ever settle in, make good friends and have your kids be successful in school- I'm sure you'll like it more!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM

45,269 posts, read 90,426,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
I hope maybe I can use some of this information to help make a decision. I just gotta get DH to go along with me!
stacie, I'm a native who's been living out of state for years. However, a lot of my family are still scattered all over Louisiana and I go back frequently for visits, crawfish, Sugar Bowl, LSU games etc...

IF I were ever to move back I'd really only consider the Lafayette area myself. Mandeville used to be a top pick, but it is so overgrown now ever since Katrina that houses are too expensive and the schools are stretched thin.

I would also not go back to Baton Rouge, the traffic is terrible and the schools are really bad. If the Baton Rouge area interests you check out the town of Zachary nearby where schools are much better.

Just my 2 cents

More info for you on Lafayette:

http://www.[blocked due to copyright reasons].com/north-.../lafayette.php Though after reading this myself I have to say there is a big misprint - they claim a visit to New Orleans in only and hour and half away from Lafayette - it's really 2.5 hours away (if you don't catch much traffic going thru Baton Rouge!)

Last edited by lovesMountains; 03-31-2009 at 10:21 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 06:02 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,068,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
SBC, indeed, unless you're into really small towns. NO has hurricanes. BR is blah, plus hurricanes. Ruston is full of cows and college students. Monroe smells funny (Seriously, every time I drive through it stinks. What gives?)

As much as I've knocked Shreveport, it's honestly the best city to live in LA. That's why I left LA.
And you moved to DC? Incredible!

I vote for Slidell as the best place to live in LA. Why? You're right across the state line from Mississippi, and you're closer than anywhere else in the state to the Florida beaches.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:44 PM

81 posts, read 284,351 times
I'm looking for town that has a rehab hospital or at least a big hospital, walkable SAFE neighborhoods, with a New Age element (whole foods markets, farmers markets every week, funky coffee shops and stores) also that has yoga studios - NOT NOLA. Does Hammond fit the bill? Safe from the storms, also are there lots os trees to give that gorgeous canopy?

Any town that has a central walking area w/ older neighborhoods,, not gated subidivions. Dont care about school districts or nightlife.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,148,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomona View Post
I'm looking for town that has a rehab hospital or at least a big hospital, walkable SAFE neighborhoods, with a New Age element (whole foods markets, farmers markets every week, funky coffee shops and stores) also that has yoga studios - NOT NOLA. Does Hammond fit the bill? Safe from the storms, also are there lots os trees to give that gorgeous canopy?

Any town that has a central walking area w/ older neighborhoods,, not gated subidivions. Dont care about school districts or nightlife.
Baton Rouge fits that. Several big hospitals and there's a Healthsouth Rehab Hospital. One of my favorite walkable, safe neighborhoods is Spanish Town. A Whole Foods Market, a few farmers markets, and though I haven't acquainted myself with them , I'm sure there are yoga studios. Baton Rouge is also known for an abundance of trees.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 22,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomona View Post

Pamona,
Hammond does fit your bill. The downtown area has been almost completely revitalized with lots of places to eat and shop. There's several events that are held downtown every year. The entire month of October is Fanfare where they bring in acts and speakers from all over the world to perform. The BR symphony performs twice a year.

There are yoga classes at SLU and Cypress fitness as well as a couple of other places. The best area to live in is by the SLU. You can walk around around the 2 miles around the SLU anytime, day or night. I see the same people just about every morning walking with dogs from the downtown area around the college and back. That's probably 4 miles round trip.

I've never had a problem. Kids that live in the area walk to the Lab School. How many other places in the country do you see that? Because it is a college, there are emergency call stations around the college if something does happen that summons SLU and Hammond's police.

North Oaks Hospital has a rehab facility and there's a new hospital that should open soon. There's several coffee shops in downtown also. We don't have a really good whole food market yet, but it shouldn't be long with the complete rebuilding of the Hammond mall area. There are a couple in Mandeville which is only a 25 minute drive away.

Oak, pine and live oak tree line the streets in most of downtown also. Although some do evacuate for hurricanes, we have always stayed and Hammond becomes the hub for rescue operations for this part of the state if there is a hurricane.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:29 PM

27 posts, read 134,196 times
I've been to every "major" city in Louisiana and MANY small ones. I have to honestly say that with the exception of Alexandria, I love every one of them! I can't think of any city that I would hate to live in...like I said, except Alexandria and probably Monroe. It just depends on what kind of lifestyle suits you! Regardless of the lifestyle you prefer, you're likely to find a city to suit it in Louisiana! Why do we continuously put ourselves down when we have SO much here that no other state has! I believe that if we ALL start being proud of our state, it will only improve! I've lived in other states, and they were ok...but there was always SO much I missed about Louisiana! I guess you don't fully appreciate certain things because they seem insignificant...until you don't have them anymore. I'll never leave again...I'll work to improve and continue to be proud of my state...LOUISIANA!

Old 05-02-2009, 02:01 PM

30 posts, read 52,674 times
Living in New Iberia, I visit Lafayette quite often and definitely love that city. It has a very modern, progressive,wealthy atmosphere about it. The schools and hospitals are excellent. The place is a hotbed of industrial activity. New businesses are always popping up and this isn't just a recent phenomenon but has always been the case. I'm certain that anyone who travels there would be pleasantly surprised. The only downside is the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or