U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:20 PM

2,797 posts, read 6,880,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmesan View Post
Thanks. I don't know why the abbreviation threw me. The only SBC I could think of was Southern Baptist Convention. ha ha.
I should have said when typing on the computer I use that occasionally. If I used it out in public I don't think people would know what I was referring to; wouldn't do such a thing. But typing 3 letters is quicker than those names.
Not to insult anyone but sometimes I think Shreveport-Bossier could be considered the Southern Baptist Convention. I think more Baptists live here than any other group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenestgrass View Post
Living in New Iberia, I visit Lafayette quite often and definitely love that city. It has a very modern, progressive,wealthy atmosphere about it. The schools and hospitals are excellent. The place is a hotbed of industrial activity. New businesses are always popping up and this isn't just a recent phenomenon but has always been the case. I'm certain that anyone who travels there would be pleasantly surprised. The only downside is the traffic.
It is funny! When people talk about how bad Lafayette's traffic is, it makes me crack up. We do have a few traffic issues but for the most part, it takes less then 15 minutes to get most places in Lafayette unless it is 7:45 AM or 4:45 PM. When I think traffic - I think Baton Rouge, Houston, and New Orleans.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,680,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Seafood n Lafayette View Post
It is funny! When people talk about how bad Lafayette's traffic is, it makes me crack up. We do have a few traffic issues but for the most part, it takes less then 15 minutes to get most places in Lafayette unless it is 7:45 AM or 4:45 PM. When I think traffic - I think Baton Rouge, Houston, and New Orleans.
The traffic IS pretty bad, but youre right it still isnt as bad as larger cities. I think the main problem is people driving between traffic lights and clogging up intersections, or waiting to the last second to switch into an unblocked lane approaching construction.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:57 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,982,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Seafood n Lafayette View Post
BR traffic can be bad, but a lot of that is several streets (Airline, Sherwood Forest, parts of Bluebonnet, Coursey, Siegen, Essen, College, I-10, I-12) at certain times.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Island View Post
I like where I am in Haynesville.

Why? 3 miles from Arkansas. And that's the only reason!
OMG Im from homer and I feel obligated to say that the area is so boring. It really get old driving to shreveport and monroe to have a good time

Old 11-16-2009, 04:05 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,798,043 times
Stacieberry , your posts are full of contradictions . You say that you told your husband that you will move before the next school year , then you say that you are trying to get your kids in a charter school , all the while asking for suggestions on where to move . Then you say you want to visit the South , not move . Huh ?

When you said Farmerville needed a bypass , I knew you were trolling .

Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 7,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
The traffic IS pretty bad, but youre right it still isnt as bad as larger cities. I think the main problem is people driving between traffic lights and clogging up intersections, or waiting to the last second to switch into an unblocked lane approaching construction.
I agree with you. I think the cameras have helped the issue of blocking intersections. The construction issue is a real issue but it looks like people do their best to take alternate routes when and if possible. Case in point - the new section of Ambassador Caffery.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 AM

430 posts, read 333,079 times
Monroe, LA hands down. Monroe has everthing you want in a city, iced and glazed, just iced and glazed just enough with traditional Louisiana cultures but the cake is the scenery. Monroe's specialty is the the hidden treasure effect to where everything special is kept underwraps. Like for an example, the area called, Finks Hideaway, before you get to it, its open pecan trees and small lil creeks from Bayou Desiard, but go on a lil further and take that right then "BOOM", you'll think your in Baton Rouge with all the beautiful homes surrounded by cypress trees. It never ever gets boring here because I been here all my life and still get suprised by the things I find here, like this bar in the middle of the water somewhere near the Frenchmen Bend Area (another hidden area which is beautiful) Come on down. need a picture search on whats new going on? Check the new construction of brand new Delta Community College and V- Vehicle. both spell out JOBS, JOBS, JOBS. Who esle in the state is gonna build brand new smart cars???? nobody, Monroe, LA.

Heres a few front runners of the area's top notch amenities and luxuries.

Bars: Enoch's Irish Pub and Coda Bar
Restaurants: Mohawk Tavern and Johnny's Pizza(get a sweep da kitchen pizza)
Park: Kiroli and Forsythe Park.
Museum: Masur Musuem and Biedenharn Gardens & Coca Cola Museum.
Outdoor: Bayou Desiard, Ouachita River, Black Bayou.
Sports: Motor Speedway and Twin City Drag.
Shopping: Pecanland Mall, Louisville Ave, and Thomas Rd.
Schools: University of Louisiana of Monroe, Career Techincal College, Louisiana Techinal College, and Delta Community College.

What esle you need we got it baby, even da butter that makes us buttery. Monroe is the Little Bear from Goldie Locks. Not to hot(New Orleans), not to cold(Baton Rouge) but like everything little bear had, Monroe is just right. Traffic is smooth, about 300,000 in population in circulation around town everyday(because we are the principal city of the area, Northeast), plenty of people and diversity. Fortune 500 company here, top notch neighborhoods, championship winning high schools, what esle do you need??? There isnt too much or too little of nothing here, we are just right....

MONROE, LA.....WE'RE JUUUUSST RIGHT!! come see, we wont disappoint!!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:20 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,156,015 times
I think after NOLA metro area, it got to be Lafayette and probably suburban Shreveport> Bossier

Old 11-20-2009, 06:56 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,798,043 times
There is no " best place to live " that fits every individual or family . Every family has different needs or different economic situations that might make one town better for them than another .
Some people detest big cities , while others love it . It's a case by case thing .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or