U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2009, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,363 posts, read 33,655,279 times
Reputation: 13811

Advertisements

You had to see this coming...

Mount Redoubt 2009 - Printfection.com

 
Old 04-02-2009, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,177,745 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
You had to see this coming...

Mount Redoubt 2009 - Printfection.com
LOL it is kind of funny!
 
Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,047 posts, read 4,675,440 times
Reputation: 1437
volcano monitoring isnt much of a priority though. They are always a threat, but the truly destructive ones are in pretty remote places where they dont threaten many people in the Us. Its different in other countries, but thats besides the point.
 
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,363 posts, read 33,655,279 times
Reputation: 13811
That would be like saying we don't need hurricane monitoring, it only happens in a few states!
 
Old 04-02-2009, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,047 posts, read 4,675,440 times
Reputation: 1437
we dont need volcano monitoring in the Us.
The only real volcanos to worry about is Mt St Helens, and Mt Rainier and they are located well away from major cities or towns where they might pose a problem. On the big Island of Hawaii, those volcanoes are frequently visited and researched anyway so they dont count. Volcanic activity should not be a very big priority in the US. Now if you want to talk about Earthquake research, thats a more viable use of funds.
 
Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,177,745 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
That would be like saying we don't need hurricane monitoring, it only happens in a few states!
Yeah but hurricanes kill more people in the USA than volcanoes do!
 
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,177,745 times
Reputation: 1496
Oh yeah besides the hurricanes go futher in land than volcanoes do too! A hurricane can hit many states. One that hits Louisiana can hit Mississippi, Arkansas, and Texas plus keep moving inland as a tropical storm. It effects lots of people.
 
Old 04-02-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
794 posts, read 3,065,910 times
Reputation: 242
I think I can safely say that a majority of the people in Louisiana have never seen a volcano let alone experienced an actual eruption. How can any of us begin to try and compare and contrast the two. I for one feel like I've read enough from historical and geological records to know that volcanoes have potential for cataclysmic destruction. They have destroyed civilizations countless times in the past and they have created a sort of 'nuclear winter' in the past that in today's time would completely devastate our agriculture and many would starve.
Ever heard of: The Year Without A Summer?

I feel like so many are trying to defend Jindal's comments. I'm not trying to chastise them. I personally think he made an ill-advised comment about a subject that he obviously isn't knowledgeable in and hopefully he learned his lesson. It's easy to proclaim something is more important when it effects what happens in your own back yard.
 
Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,330,510 times
Reputation: 1418
I agree with darylwi.
 
Old 04-03-2009, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,177,745 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
I think I can safely say that a majority of the people in Louisiana have never seen a volcano let alone experienced an actual eruption. How can any of us begin to try and compare and contrast the two. I for one feel like I've read enough from historical and geological records to know that volcanoes have potential for cataclysmic destruction. They have destroyed civilizations countless times in the past and they have created a sort of 'nuclear winter' in the past that in today's time would completely devastate our agriculture and many would starve.
Ever heard of: The Year Without A Summer?

I feel like so many are trying to defend Jindal's comments. I'm not trying to chastise them. I personally think he made an ill-advised comment about a subject that he obviously isn't knowledgeable in and hopefully he learned his lesson. It's easy to proclaim something is more important when it effects what happens in your own back yard.
Well I never said volcano Monitoring was not needed nor did I say hurricane monitoring was I just made a point off what others were posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top