U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2009, 02:18 PM
 
30 posts, read 90,142 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Unhealthiest States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance
Here ya go this has different rankings for things....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,177,745 times
Reputation: 1496
Unfortunately my state of Arkansas made the top 20 list ranking in at 11! Oh shucks!!!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,177,745 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Like Shreveport, Monroe also has a disproportionately high violent crime rate for a city of its size. By comparison, Bossier City, which now has a population 10,000-20,000 higher than Monroe (a few years ago it had less people than Monroe), generally has 1-4 homicides per year while Monroe generally has about twice as many homicides with fewer people living in the city.

In 2006, Monroe had 12 homicides - a number FAR too high for a city of roughly 50,000 people. That same year, Bossier City had 1 homicide, and zero the year before! Apparently that was an extremely low crime year for Shreveport as well, because the city had only 28 homicides that year, the lowest in quite some time. Monroe had almost half the amount of homicides that year as Shreveport. Shreveport generally has 30-50 homicides on a given year. Shreveport's population is roughly 3 times that of Bossier City, so proportionately it should have 6-9 homicides per year, not 30-50!
Where did you get this info? And how did you figure this ratio out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Chicago--Bucktown
425 posts, read 1,302,718 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
Where did you get this info? And how did you figure this ratio out?
The crime stats for a city can be found on that city's police department's web site. As far as figuring out the "acceptable" crime level for a city, you kind of have to be your own judge of that, and come up with your own scale of good-to-bad crime rates.

For example, for me Austin is as "good" a city for crime as possible. In 2007, there were 27 murders in the city, which has a population of about 650,000. So that is a murder rate of 4.2 murders per 100,000 people. On the other hand, I would consider Shreveport in the "bad" category. That same year, Shreveport had 41 murders, for a city with 180,000 people. That is a murder rate of 22.8 murders per 100,000 people. Acceptable for me is anything under 16-18 per 100K residents. Here in Chicago, 2007 had a murder rate of 14.8, which I am not proud of, but I am okay with it.

For me, anything over 20 murders/100k residents is untolerable and the city's residents should *demand* better from their police department. For instance, New Orleans in 2007 had a rate of 46.7 per 100K residents, and that is being very generous with the population count. Although, to be fair, the number is down significantly in 2008.

This is a great link to get a sense of crime in your area compared to others: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2009 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,177,745 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
The crime stats for a city can be found on that city's police department's web site. As far as figuring out the "acceptable" crime level for a city, you kind of have to be your own judge of that, and come up with your own scale of good-to-bad crime rates.

For example, for me Austin is as "good" a city for crime as possible. In 2007, there were 27 murders in the city, which has a population of about 650,000. So that is a murder rate of 4.2 murders per 100,000 people. On the other hand, I would consider Shreveport in the "bad" category. That same year, Shreveport had 41 murders, for a city with 180,000 people. That is a murder rate of 22.8 murders per 100,000 people. Acceptable for me is anything under 16-18 per 100K residents. Here in Chicago, 2007 had a murder rate of 14.8, which I am not proud of, but I am okay with it.

For me, anything over 20 murders/100k residents is untolerable and the city's residents should *demand* better from their police department. For instance, New Orleans in 2007 had a rate of 46.7 per 100K residents, and that is being very generous with the population count. Although, to be fair, the number is down significantly in 2008.

This is a great link to get a sense of crime in your area compared to others: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
I typed Farmerville but it did not know that city! But thanks for the link though! I think I did find that out of a 1-10 scale with 10 being the best Farmerville got a 6 not so bad!

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2009 at 03:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
772 posts, read 4,096,355 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
Where did you get this info? And how did you figure this ratio out?
Well, I know the populations of most US cities by heart because I've been studying them for years (most people wouldn't understand why, but I know you do). But the crime rate info I got from City-Data.com (this website). I knew the ballpark figures for Shreveport and Bossier, but to get exact annual data I just went to City-Data's main page and entered each city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Haynesville, La.-Pangburn, Ar.
929 posts, read 2,440,205 times
Reputation: 691
To keep me from looking, What state was #1?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Fordyce Arkansas
1,269 posts, read 2,177,745 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Island View Post
To keep me from looking, What state was #1?
I think Nevada but can not remember! Arkansas was #11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Haynesville, La.-Pangburn, Ar.
929 posts, read 2,440,205 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
I think Nevada but can not remember! Arkansas was #11
I can deal with 11. I'm ready to go to # 11 !!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,147,729 times
Reputation: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
So Louisiana was ranked # 2 in crime well there you go finally got on top of the list for something! LOL
Tell us something we don't already know. We've been at the top of that list for years.

I did find one thing not long ago...Louisiana has one of the lowest rates of down sydrome among children. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top