Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:54 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times

Advertisements

I don't think I said that. New Orleans is the biggest city in this state and it does have a crime problem so of course it will have more crime. I don't know what happens in Lafayette as I only pass through on the I-10, but yea Houston's crime rate went up. Many Houstonians will say crime was already rising pre-K and the evacuess tipped it off and the other half will say it's all New Orleans fault. Who knows?, statistics lie.

The point is LOUISIANA has a crime problem, not just NO. BR and Shreveport both have crime issues compared to other cities their sizes. It's kind of sad that LA comes in 2nd in crime and you use it to bring attention to how bad NOLA is. (I'm assuming since 1 in almost every 3 of your posts is anti-New Orleans.)

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 03-26-2009 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 AM

947 posts, read 2,399,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I don't think I said that. New Orleans is the biggest city in this state and it does have a crime problem so of course it will have more crime. I don't know what happens in Lafayette as I only pass though, but yea Houston's crime rate went up. Many Houstonians will say crime was already rising pre-K and the evacuess tipped it off and the other half will say it's all New Orleans fault. Who knows?, statistics lie.

The point is LOUISIANA has a crime problem, not just NO. BR and Shreveport both have crime issues compared to other cities their sizes. It's kind of sad that LA comes in 2nd in crime and you use it to bring attention to how bad NOLA is. (I'm assuming since 1 in almost every of your posts is anti-New Orleans.)
Well if things do not get better soon crime everywhere will keep getting worse! In big cities and small towns. Besides a lot of crimes are done by the same people! They either never get caught or the judges are not hard enough on them and slap their hand and tell the criminals not to do it again! So a big part of the crimes committed could be stopped if they hard better laws to keep criminals locked up!My two cents anyways!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 AM

768 posts, read 4,386,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
I do not know about that! But I know on our local news everyday that you hear about someone getting killed, shot, or robbed in Monroe. It is not quite as big as NO.
Like Shreveport, Monroe also has a disproportionately high violent crime rate for a city of its size. By comparison, Bossier City, which now has a population 10,000-20,000 higher than Monroe (a few years ago it had less people than Monroe), generally has 1-4 homicides per year while Monroe generally has about twice as many homicides with fewer people living in the city.

In 2006, Monroe had 12 homicides - a number FAR too high for a city of roughly 50,000 people. That same year, Bossier City had 1 homicide, and zero the year before! Apparently that was an extremely low crime year for Shreveport as well, because the city had only 28 homicides that year, the lowest in quite some time. Monroe had almost half the amount of homicides that year as Shreveport. Shreveport generally has 30-50 homicides on a given year. Shreveport's population is roughly 3 times that of Bossier City, so proportionately it should have 6-9 homicides per year, not 30-50!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:28 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
Well if things do not get better soon crime everywhere will keep getting worse! In big cities and small towns. Besides a lot of crimes are done by the same people! They either never get caught or the judges are not hard enough on them and slap their hand and tell the criminals not to do it again! So a big part of the crimes committed could be stopped if they hard better laws to keep criminals locked up!My two cents anyways!
Exactly, We haven't seen anything yet compared to what will happen as the economy gets worse.

I think the crime problem is a by-product of the state ranking so low in every other area. Ed., Health, you name it.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM

We all saw how bad things got when gas prices got so high. People were stealing gas so much that if you had a car you bought a lock for the gas tank! So now think how bad it might get with so many losing jobs, houses and cars! They will steal to feed their families. I heard one man killed himself and his whole family because he lost his job and his wife lost her's and he knew they could not make it! Also not to down my generation but we are the generation of give me it now and we can not live with out cell phones and computers, internet, ipods, and all these other high tech gagets. We were given everything and now we think the world owes us. Which is not true but back to my point our parents and now days parents lack ability to punish their kids! Back in the day you could punish your child for something and not get in trouble for it! The prisons were not as full. Now you spank your child you go to jail. Yet the drug dealer selling drugs to your child goes free! Do not get me wrong I use time out for my kids too but you HAVE to make your kids mind and you have to teach them right from wrong and some sort of values! People do not do this anymore! You can trust me my kids still say yes sir and yes mam!! Ok anyways I think that is why so many people end up committing crimes because they were not taught any better!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times
[quote=WestbankNOLA;8053065]Exactly, We haven't seen anything yet compared to what will happen as the economy gets worse.
quote]

I disagree with this. Most of the crimes are already committed by small groups of criminals, people who are not going to be affected much by the poor economy. I'm sure you might see a small uptick in thefts and burglary, but those crimes aren't really a big deal. The bad crimes like murder, rape, and aggravated assault (the crimes you should really pay attention to) aren't really correlated to the economy.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 PM

30 posts, read 97,951 times
Just wondering where you foind this, I would like to see how the states are ranked...

Old 03-26-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGirl87 View Post
Just wondering where you foind this, I would like to see how the states are ranked...
I found or heard this on TV on my local news! I do not know how they do ranking though! You might be able to google it though! Sorry can not be of more help!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 PM

30 posts, read 97,951 times
Ok I found the link while Louisiana was #2 NO was the most dangerous city in the country. Yet I was looking for Ohio and it wasnt in the top 20 but had two cities in the top 15 most dangerous lol

Old 03-26-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGirl87 View Post
Ok I found the link while Louisiana was #2 NO was the most dangerous city in the country. Yet I was looking for Ohio and it wasnt in the top 20 but had two cities in the top 15 most dangerous lol
What link did you go to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana