Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 57,368 times

Advertisements

I'm a thirty something student from San Francisco CA, recently accepted to Tulane University in New Orleans. Instead of living on campus I've decided to find an apartment or house to rent near by, but would like to know if the area is safe. Are there any other area's I should check out near the school? I found a few places near the Carrollton Cemetery area. How is that place?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 PM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times
I would stick to the area closest to the University. I believe the Carrolton Cemetary area is far from campus. Go to NO and check out the areas first. New Orleans is a very funny city. Instead of good and bad neighborhoods, there are good and bad streets. Ask around at Tulane where they would recommend. Just be careful and don't take any risks on where you want to live.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 PM

53 posts, read 317,565 times
Carrollton cemetery is not too far from Tulane. Many students of both universities live in that neighborhood. Most of that area is nice and quite livable. Keep in mind that a tornado struck the neighborhood not too long ago, and there is a lot of construction/rebuilding going on. Of course, this is the case in much of the city, so it shouldn't deter you. I recall that one side of the cemetery - the Adams St. side, had a liquor store that was painted bright blue (Adams & Burdette I think?) Anyway, it was a known trouble spot as loud/intimidating people hung out on that corner at all hours. But the other sides aren't bad and as I'm sure you know or are discovering, N.O. blocks change very rapidly, so two blocks away you will find a beautiful single family historic home. Just be sure to ask the potential landlord in that area (betw. S. Carrollton, S. Claiborne, St. Charles and Broadway) if it is near a liquor store, or if it is near Snake & Jake's. Both are to be avoided. But you will find lovely rentals all over that area and it is most convenient to school, live music (Carrollton Station and Maple Leaf) wonderful restaurants, etc. Avoid Riverlake properties (slumlords). A good source for rentals in that area is the Gambit Weekly - bestofneworleansdotcom. I live in Chicago now but used to live in that neighborhood and will always love it.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 57,368 times
Question Other places to live?

Thank you for the responses. I have another question. What other places are safe to live that aren't to far from Tulane? Are there places I should avoid? I have a car, but I want the drive to be more then 15 or 20 minutes.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:19 AM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times
You might want to look in areas of Jefferson Parish. Orleans Parish is kind of a street to street , good to bad type of atmosphere.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
Thumbs up Old Metairie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by willa benson View Post
Thank you for the responses. I have another question. What other places are safe to live that aren't to far from Tulane? Are there places I should avoid? I have a car, but I want the drive to be more then 15 or 20 minutes.

I commuted for 6 years from Old Metairie to Loyola than Tulane...
Ask someone to teach you the back way...
Lots of houses for rent off Metairie Rd & Bonnebel Blvd.
Good Luck

Old 04-18-2007, 01:34 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
PS--Don't forget to smell the "Confederate Jasmine" ....

Old 04-19-2007, 12:45 AM

76 posts, read 507,400 times
Quote:
I'm a thirty something student from San Francisco CA, recently accepted to Tulane University in New Orleans. Instead of living on campus I've decided to find an apartment or house to rent near by, but would like to know if the area is safe. Are there any other area's I should check out near the school? I found a few places near the Carrollton Cemetery area. How is that place?

Thanks!!
You ought to consider Mid City or Parkview, at least the areas bounded by Canal, Jeff Davis, Moss St., and City Park Ave. There are many rentals in this area, and it has come back nicely after Katrina. Mid City and Parkview are very convenient, and you can quickly get anywhere you need on the east bank of the city or Jefferson without getting on the interstate.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 17,707 times
Quote:

Thanks!!
Welcome, I am sorry to tell you that New Orleans as a whole has gotten much more dangerous as its tax base decreased so did services -like police. The Tulane area is not safe- you would probable do better if you lived some place in Jefferson Parish- perhaps near Ochsner Hospital. When my oldest son was in Law School at Loyola it was not safe to live there. He lived in Jefferson- and that was 7 years ago. The carrolton area near cemetaries is only safe if you are a resident of the cemetary. Sorry to be so negative- but its reality. You might also want to consider across Lake Ponchartain in the Mandevile- Covington area. We had a 25% population growth after Katrina and those residents have for the most part stayed. Friends who returned to live in N.O left when they saw steetlights not working, traffic lights not working and police, fire depts with very poor response time. Good Luck
LINX

Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 PM

76 posts, read 507,400 times
The best thing to do is to come down here and take a look for yourself and ask your fellow students. Considering that you live in San Francisco, I would think you have enough street sense to know whether or not you want to live in a particular neighborhood. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana