U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM

887 posts, read 2,709,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Legalize drugs. All of them.

There has been no evidence yet to show that people are any less inclined to do them because they are illegal, and by making them illegal, the government propped up the criminal organizations responsible for a vast majority of the country's crime. Legalizing drugs solves so many problems:

1) Generates enormous tax revenues for the state
2) Most people in prison are there for drug related crimes, so letting them out would save a ton of money on that front.
3) Makes gangs virtually a non-issue, since selling drugs is a major source of income for the gangs.
4) Prevents drug violence.
5) Frees up A TON of money for other state issues.
I agree!

Yes, people will try new drugs, but it a lot safer to buy more controlled substances on the free market than going out to the streets to buy them illegally. The government is able to tax tobacco/alcohol well, I doubt they'll have issue with taxing weed, etc.

Anytime you deny people a basic right (using chemical substances), you have a lot more bad than good. Its like banning strawberries, people would still eat them..just illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,339,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I'd cut money. The state wastes too much money on projects. Also, the education budget needs to be cut if anything, Louisiana pays for too many kids to go to the student that may be better off in a technical university, these borderline kids do not have the skill set needed for many Louisiana jobs--effectively training borderline kids that may have gone to a 2-yr. college if not for TOPS, giving them college degrees that draw them out of state.

Infrastructure changes are a must, however, and improving roads, bridges, and such is the best way to go.
In my opinion..... If borderline students can finish at a university and find a good job out of state, then apparently something is paying off. I'm assuming most kids at a university who would be better off at a technical school would not last that long.

The problem is not that they have degrees that don't meet Louisiana demands. The problem is Louisiana does not have the jobs to meet the degrees. If we limit ourselves to "Louisiana" jobs, what do we do when they are no longer viable?

The primary education in this state is already terrible. We already can't attract viable companies to the state because of corruption and low education scores. The higher ed. was finally beginning to improve. Cut the secondary system and we definitely will regress.
What happens once the technical schools are cut and the Louisiana jobs begin to suffer as well? Delgado, Nunez community colleges prepare for tough times - Breaking News from New Orleans - Times-Picayune - NOLA.com

I agree that cuts need to be made and that the state wastes a lot, but education in my opinion needs w.e. it can get. Without it Louisiana and especially NOLA will suffer in the long run, I believe.

I do agree that infrastructure is needed greatly. But it's kind of depressing when the state can't even locate toll revenue back to 2005 or turn over a profit from antiquated toll booths that have to have at least 100,000 vpd passing through but DOTD can start construction on a state of the art building for the Toll Offices. Like I said earlier, it needs to be burned and started from scratch.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 04-01-2009 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Added infrastructure.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,179,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
In my opinion..... If borderline students can finish at a university and find a good job out of state, then apparently something is paying off. I'm assuming most kids at a university who would be better off at a technical school would not last that long.

The problem is not that they have degrees that don't meet Louisiana demands. The problem is Louisiana does not have the jobs to meet the degrees. If we limit ourselves to "Louisiana" jobs, what do we do when they are no longer viable?

The primary education in this state is already terrible. We already can't attract viable companies to the state because of corruption and low education scores. The higher ed. was finally beginning to improve. Cut the secondary system and we definitely will regress.
What happens once the technical schools are cut and the Louisiana jobs begin to suffer as well? Delgado, Nunez community colleges prepare for tough times - Breaking News from New Orleans - Times-Picayune - NOLA.com

I agree that cuts need to be made and that the state wastes a lot, but education in my opinion needs w.e. it can get. Without it Louisiana and especially NOLA will suffer in the long run, I believe.

I do agree that infrastructure is needed greatly. But it's kind of depressing when the state can't even locate toll revenue back to 2005 or turn over a profit from antiquated toll booths that have to have at least 100,000 vpd passing through but DOTD can start construction on a state of the art building for the Toll Offices. Like I said earlier, it needs to be burned and started from scratch.
I agree!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana