Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,064 times

Advertisements

Man< all of this crap about River Ranch, and there snooty people!! Wow these people need to get a life because they have no idea about Lafayette at all, because that is so far from the truth!! i do not live in RR, But I am there every single day working. They are just like everyone else!! My gosh get a life people. I feel like you are just being haters, i dont care if u r from Lafayette r u r not, these subdivision might be pricey and some people may be in over there head in debt, but who the hell cares, like that is any dif. from every oher person in America!!! Get over it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 11:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
I wasnt in RR enough to really form an opinion on the people. Maybe next time around I'll get out and explore. That was my first time being in the community. I live in Lake Charles.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,895 times
Don't know how many tennis fans we have here, but Chanda Rubin's house in River Ranch was lost by fire during Wednesday's lightning storm...

Quote:
'90s tennis star Chanda Rubin's house burns

(AP) – 14 hours ago

LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) — Tennis player Chanda Rubin's house burned during an intense thunderstorm, and lightning was a likely cause, Lafayette fire officials said Thursday.

The 1990s tennis star was the only person in the house; she got out safely after her alarms alerted her to the fire shortly after 9 p.m. Wednesday, fire department spokesman Alton Trahan said Thursday.

"The whole roof and the attic and portions of the second story are completely gone," Trahan said. "The first story is OK. There's a lot of water damage on the first floor, obviously."

He said lightning was particularly intense in Rubin's neighborhood and may have touched off the fire, which started in the attic. Investigators were returning in daylight.

Numerous calls from alarm system, neighbors and Rubin came in within a few minutes of each other, starting at 9:07 p.m., Assistant Chief Jerry Delhomme said.

He said trucks were at the house within minutes, and firefighters stayed for two hours.

Rubin, 34, won seven singles titles on the WTA Tour and reached as high as No. 6 in the rankings in 1996. Her deepest run at a Grand Slam came that year, when she reached the semifinals at the Australian Open.

She was unseeded but won the Eastbourne International tournament in 2002. Her last singles titles were in Eastbourne and Madrid in 2003, according to the WTA website.

It said she withdrew from a half-dozen tournaments this year because of a variety of injuries. She won only one match in the seven events she did appear in.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
I don't give a rat's butt how rich one is, nor how big a star they've become. Losing everything personal like this merits empathy. Terrible loss.

Last edited by JimLFT; 12-31-2010 at 12:03 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM

679 posts, read 614,863 times
Wherever there are Rich people, there will be some with snooty bad behaviors, but it in no way dominates the attitudes and culture of the town itself. There might be a higher population when you get into the environments where there are more people with money, but that's b/c there tend to be people that focus only on money in those areas and they tend to have bad attitudes. Making guess generalizations isn't a good idea though. River Ranch still has great people, but Lafayette is amazing

Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,895 times
The latest:

Making luxury attainable | theadvertiser.com | The Advertiser

For you New Orleans residents and / or epicureans, how do you like Cochon's? From reading this article, seems that chef Donald Link is in high demand.

Quote:
Lafayette lucked out. It will feature the cuisine of nationally renowned chef Donald Link, an Acadiana native who will divide his time between the Crescent City and Hub City.

"Everyone courted him, from Houston to Baton Rouge," Daigle said. "Jimmy Buffett wanted to back him to go to Biloxi/Gulf Port."
But, here's the punchline:

Quote:
Still, there's the challenge of overcoming the perception that River Ranch is "elitist," Daigle said.
Good luck with that...

Last edited by JimLFT; 01-13-2011 at 07:01 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,801 times
I live in RR, after moving from New Orleans following hurricane Katrina. Everyone was very welcoming, both in RR and in other parts of Lafayette.

According to the latest census data, Lafayette was the fastest growing city in Louisiana. That may explain why the person who made the original post was thinking about relocating to Lafayette. RR helped fuel and is part of that growth.

No city is perfect,but at the end of the day Lafayette is a very nice city to live.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,705 times
Default River Raunch

Is River Ranch Snooty? Naw, not even close. Snooty was four chapters ago.... It's denizens are Uber-concieted, arrogant, elitist, snobby, narcissists who think that they are somehow better than everyone else because they live in an area that's the 'subdivision of the week'. I don't sugar coat anything, can you tell?

Now, another person stated that those type of impressions come from people who don't have the money that the River Raunch clowns have. Ummm.... I make six figures plus, own a 2000 sq ft home that is paid for, and have no debt to speak of. The difference between me and them - one of many differences anyway, is that I know which sections of Lafayette actually have nice large homes with upper class residents who own them, and River Raunch certainly isn't it. They are simply stupid people who overpaid for garbage, but can throw around the words 'River Ranch' as if it means something.

A little more about me: I am a firefighter, so I am quite familiar with building construction, and what they sell there are 'tract houses' which means the quality is minimal, and construction speed is of the essence. Every floor plan looks like everybody else's floor plan, and the only thing that changes from house to house is the furniture that the occupants buy.

In other words, the homes that they sell are garbage quality that sells for an exorbitant price. Look at the size of the lots, and look at the proximity to your neighbors. You can practically stick your arm out a window and touch your neighbors house. For 200k+ you can get much more in a much nicer area, with considerably better neighbors.

Bottom line: keep looking.......

Old 04-13-2011, 11:24 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningChris View Post
Is River Ranch Snooty? Naw, not even close. Snooty was four chapters ago.... It's denizens are Uber-concieted, arrogant, elitist, snobby, narcissists who think that they are somehow better than everyone else because they live in an area that's the 'subdivision of the week'. I don't sugar coat anything, can you tell?

Now, another person stated that those type of impressions come from people who don't have the money that the River Raunch clowns have. Ummm.... I make six figures plus, own a 2000 sq ft home that is paid for, and have no debt to speak of. The difference between me and them - one of many differences anyway, is that I know which sections of Lafayette actually have nice large homes with upper class residents who own them, and River Raunch certainly isn't it. They are simply stupid people who overpaid for garbage, but can throw around the words 'River Ranch' as if it means something.

A little more about me: I am a firefighter, so I am quite familiar with building construction, and what they sell there are 'tract houses' which means the quality is minimal, and construction speed is of the essence. Every floor plan looks like everybody else's floor plan, and the only thing that changes from house to house is the furniture that the occupants buy.

In other words, the homes that they sell are garbage quality that sells for an exorbitant price. Look at the size of the lots, and look at the proximity to your neighbors. You can practically stick your arm out a window and touch your neighbors house. For 200k+ you can get much more in a much nicer area, with considerably better neighbors.

Bottom line: keep looking.......
Very opinionated. Those people choose to live there, you pay for your amenities, not for a yard or the construction materials. Nice large homes aren't what these people want, obviously.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
Most of the wealth in Lafayette is first-generation, and hard-earned at that. I'm not saying I haven't met snobs in Lafayette, but most people seem pretty approachable and cool and all still have relatives in the area who maybe haven't established themselves and acquired fortunes yet. If you think River Ranch is pretentious, try the Garden District of New Orleans. The average person there inherited their money or married someone for their fortune and is totally out of touch with anyone not in their small bubble. It's not even an Uptown thing, it's a subculture specific to that little neighborhood. I used to work at a coffee shop there and let me tell you, we dealt with some of the most hideous traits of pretentiousness on display every day from the "neighborhood regulars".

Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Hmm, after reading this thread I am compelled to ask a question: how are Asians of Indian origin regarded in Lafayette?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana