U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:19 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,676,507 times
Well, I'll agree with that. The Acadiana region is very proud of its culture and history and happy to share that with anyone who comes by. Even the smaller towns are livened up with cajun/zydeco music and many excellent local restaurants. You wont find many areas with people more happy to be alive than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,748 times
River Ranch is the snootiest part of Lafayette by far. Go to Rhythms on the River on Saturday night and see all the cliche tricked out golf carts drive by and stand in the "peasant" portolet bathroom line and tell me what you think!!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,738 times
I lived in Lafayette for a year (I came to town on a fellowship to study.) I'm from overseas. I'm also not Christian. A sampling of my experiences.

I flew in to Baton Rouge where someone was supposed to meet me. There was no one there.
Came in to Lafayette and was told that there was no housing available.
Was told to rent a room at LaQuinta for sixty bucks a night.
When I complained, a professor emailed me and wrote "I don't know where you are from son."
I was asked, nearly every day, where I was from and when I was leaving.
I was asked, nearly every day, whether I go to church.
When I said no, I was nearly always taken to task for it.
Many told me that I was the first Jewish person they ever met.
I was dating a Jamaican girl in NYC. I told her not to even think about coming to L.
The nightlife is strictly segregated. Four white clubs, two black ones.
Blacks live on the north side around and north of the airport.
Whites on the south side.
Never the twain shall meet.
The so-called hospitality is totally artificial. When a department secretary asked about my family and I mentioned that some lived in Tel Aviv, she looked at me like I just sodomized her puppy and said "oh... that's nice."
The voting registration form asks for your religious affiliation.

I can continue.

(I never been to River Ranch on the grounds that I have a fetish for not getting strung up on the nearest lamp post.)

Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM

14,198 posts, read 20,541,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon99 View Post
I lived in Lafayette for a year (I came to town on a fellowship to study.) I'm from overseas. I'm also not Christian. A sampling of my experiences.

I flew in to Baton Rouge where someone was supposed to meet me. There was no one there.
When I complained, a professor emailed me and wrote "I don't know where you are from son."
I was dating a Jamaican girl in NYC. I told her not to even think about coming to L.
The so-called hospitality is totally artificial. When a department secretary asked about my family and I mentioned that some lived in Tel Aviv, she looked at me like I just sodomized her puppy and said "oh... that's nice."

I can continue.

(I never been to River Ranch on the grounds that I have a fetish for not getting strung up on the nearest lamp post.)
The first three, you can't blame anyone but yourself.
People always want to know where someone is from if its not America. They asked like they wanted you to leave? I can't see that..
Taken to task for it?
Nightlife isn't segregated, did you go downtown? There was a good mix of blacks and whites when I was there.
Blacks live on the southside and there are whites on the northside. I've personally seen plenty of blacks on the southside.

She probably had no idea where it was, is that your only example of non-hospitality?
The voter registration asks for religious affiliation because they want information on voting trends. This happens all over the country and in other countries as well.

No one will hang you for being Jewish. That is absurd.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 PM

431 posts, read 963,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The first three, you can't blame anyone but yourself.
People always want to know where someone is from if its not America. They asked like they wanted you to leave? I can't see that..
Taken to task for it?
Nightlife isn't segregated, did you go downtown? There was a good mix of blacks and whites when I was there.
Blacks live on the southside and there are whites on the northside. I've personally seen plenty of blacks on the southside.

She probably had no idea where it was, is that your only example of non-hospitality?
The voter registration asks for religious affiliation because they want information on voting trends. This happens all over the country and in other countries as well.

No one will hang you for being Jewish. That is absurd.
Annie, I think you are taking agent99 too literally. It reads more like the opening chapter for another failed sequel attempt to Dante's Inferno. It may just be a class writing assignment...

Lets give an A for effort and D for creativity.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:39 PM

14,198 posts, read 20,541,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
Annie, I think you are taking agent99 too literally. It reads more like the opening chapter for another failed sequel attempt to Dante's Inferno. It may just be a class writing assignment...

Lets give an A for effort and D for creativity.
If he was in middle school, sure. D for both and call his mother.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 PM

431 posts, read 963,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
If he was in middle school, sure. D for both and call his mother.
That works for me.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:52 PM

302 posts, read 562,345 times
Quote:

I can continue.

Nice try, but you failed miserably at trolling.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon99 View Post

I can continue.

Are you referring to Lafayette, Indiana perhaps?
I have never encountered anything like your essay describes, and I am an outsider here also (from Texas).

Old 01-22-2012, 04:13 PM

7 posts, read 12,903 times
Skippydoo I think you are a very honest person, no one wants to talk about racism. Sometimes the truth is hard to digest but it is the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana