U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2012, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Southwest Louisiana
2,878 posts, read 2,603,110 times
Reputation: 836

Advertisements

I was there a little over a month ago. Nice area. Too expensive but thats a nice hotel in there. Would not mind stahing a night there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2012, 01:29 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,178 times
Reputation: 11
Default Another perspective from a former resident of Lafayette

I'm a White guy who previously has been in long-term relationships with Latin and African American women, and I've lived in the Lafayette area (Lafayette and towns within short driving distance) all of my life except for living in Mississippi for graduate school and work for about 6 years. I come from a meager background but have worked my way through years and years of college education. I previously attended college at UL-Lafayette and prior to that graduated from a Lafayette area high school.

Specifically in regard to River Ranch, the general perception of the people living there coming from everyday working people (such as my family and friends) does tend to be one of snootiness or snobbishness. That's not to say that everyone who lives there is that way, but enough of them are that way to where it reflects on the reputation of the community. I agree with what someone said about there being more economic division than racial division in Lafayette. Unfortunately though, socioeconomic status is often roughly cut along racial lines in this country, although there of course are many exceptions. But it's approximate enough to where people I know generally view the North side of Lafayette as where a lot of poor Black people live, and River Ranch as where a lot of rich or rich-wannabe White people live.

Again, however, division in Lafayette really is cut more along economic lines than racial lines. In other words, I think that there is far more prejudice from upper-class individuals toward lower-class individuals of any race than there is racism. Compared to Lafayette, some of the smaller surrounding towns have a lot more racism. Lafayette is a very progressive Louisiana city, consistently scoring high across the state and at least on par with much of the nation in terms of education, prosperity, etc. I love Louisiana and could see myself living in several cities, but if I had to pick anywhere to live in Louisiana, I would choose Lafayette because I feel that overall it has the most to offer relative to its disadvantages.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-15-2012 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: off topic - this could happen anywhere and is not specifically applicable to Lafayette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,198 posts, read 20,556,124 times
Reputation: 8984
I also worked as a delivery driver. Many of the so-called upper-class population are living check to check, are in loads of debt, or a penny pinching (the same way they became wealthy). I remember going to many of these condos and mansions only to get the left over change as a tip. Low or middle-class people often sympathize and possibly have done the job themselves therefor they will try and give as much as possible. Whenever I'm out eating or ordering delivered food I give the largest tip possible, I know how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,047 posts, read 4,678,526 times
Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHumanBeing View Post
I'm a White guy who previously has been in long-term relationships with Latin and African American women, and I've lived in the Lafayette area (Lafayette and towns within short driving distance) all of my life except for living in Mississippi for graduate school and work for about 6 years. I come from a meager background but have worked my way through years and years of college education. I previously attended college at UL-Lafayette and prior to that graduated from a Lafayette area high school.

Specifically in regard to River Ranch, the general perception of the people living there coming from everyday working people (such as my family and friends) does tend to be one of snootiness or snobbishness. That's not to say that everyone who lives there is that way, but enough of them are that way to where it reflects on the reputation of the community. I agree with what someone said about there being more economic division than racial division in Lafayette. Unfortunately though, socioeconomic status is often roughly cut along racial lines in this country, although there of course are many exceptions. But it's approximate enough to where people I know generally view the North side of Lafayette as where a lot of poor Black people live, and River Ranch as where a lot of rich or rich-wannabe White people live.

Again, however, division in Lafayette really is cut more along economic lines than racial lines. In other words, I think that there is far more prejudice from upper-class individuals toward lower-class individuals of any race than there is racism. Compared to Lafayette, some of the smaller surrounding towns have a lot more racism. Lafayette is a very progressive Louisiana city, consistently scoring high across the state and at least on par with much of the nation in terms of education, prosperity, etc. I love Louisiana and could see myself living in several cities, but if I had to pick anywhere to live in Louisiana, I would choose Lafayette because I feel that overall it has the most to offer relative to its disadvantages.

mod cut
I fully agree that Lafayette is a pretty progressive city, and have said so in the past. I'm proud of this city and the efforts it has made and is making to improve itself daily. Its not a perfect city and faces many of the problems that southern cities have, but the leadership seems strong and the city has a great future ahead of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,178 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I also worked as a delivery driver. Many of the so-called upper-class population are living check to check, are in loads of debt, or a penny pinching (the same way they became wealthy). I remember going to many of these condos and mansions only to get the left over change as a tip. Low or middle-class people often sympathize and possibly have done the job themselves therefor they will try and give as much as possible. Whenever I'm out eating or ordering delivered food I give the largest tip possible, I know how it is.
Well, annie_himself, thanks for replying to my post in regard to being a delivery driver. I agree with your proposed motivations for why upper-class individuals tend to not tip well, but I will add that I also think it's important to consider the lack of empathy from the upper-class individuals as opposed to greater empathy among low or middle-class individuals. Besides being more obsessed or preoccupied with money, many of the rich or rich wannabes probably tend to place a lower value on people who do not have as much money or do not give the appearance of being high society. mod cut

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-16-2012 at 03:38 AM.. Reason: no commenting on moderation is allowed on City-Data. Contact me if you have a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,178 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I fully agree that Lafayette is a pretty progressive city, and have said so in the past. I'm proud of this city and the efforts it has made and is making to improve itself daily. Its not a perfect city and faces many of the problems that southern cities have, but the leadership seems strong and the city has a great future ahead of it.
To give you a personal example in regard to education, I attended high school in a small town not far from Lafayette through my sophomore year and then took the ACT at the beginning of my junior year and scored a 28 overall, with a 25 on the English section. After attending a Lafayette area high school my junior year, I again took the ACT and scored a 31 overall, with a 32 on the English section. There's no way that just one more year of school where I was before would have improved my scores that much without rigorous test preparation (which I did not do either time). It was because the education I received during my junior year, which is definitely a credit to Lafayette. There also were a lot more educational opportunities outside of the classroom and a greater level of open discussion about a wider range of ideas. Then I enjoyed my time at UL-Lafayette greatly, although I attended a larger university in another state for a higher degree. UL-Lafayette is a smaller but more special university to me. It has a certain appeal and atmosphere to it that is difficult to duplicate, in addition to providing a good education. The Honors program there was mind-opening for me in many instances and offered a number of memorable characters.

Looking beyond education, Lafayette also has great food, nightlife, and shopping and a nice diversity of leisure activities, especially for a city of its size. Bigger cities may have more to offer in some respects, but living in a smaller city such as Lafayette has its advantages. Some aspects of larger cities can be quite tiring, making it the kind of place to me that is nice to visit but not really the kind of place where I want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM
 
3,219 posts, read 8,152,991 times
Reputation: 1422
What are the advantages of living in the Lafayette, which has the best tasting food in the USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,047 posts, read 4,678,526 times
Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
What are the advantages of living in the Lafayette, which has the best tasting food in the USA
Access to culture, good educational options, a good university program, artistic minds, a nod to a unique culture, regional hub, most of it is safe to live in, offers dining, nightlife, and services comparable to larger cities, FESTIVAL INTERNATIONAL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,510 times
Reputation: 11
i live there and it's not that bad. racial issues can exist everywhere! even los angeles. just cause they didn't happen to you there doesn't mean other people haven't suffered. my question is if you are hated on so much here why stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:04 PM
 
4 posts, read 7,041 times
Reputation: 15
So I grew up in Hawaii. Being Caucasian and growing up there, i thought i knew what 'racism' was. I had been called Haole (kinda like whitey) my whole life and all my friends always dogged me slightly for being white etc... But this was mostly jesting and the typical friendly banter etc.. I had (have) a huge disparity of friends there in regard to race. It isnt White/Black its Japanese, Hawaiian, Samoan, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese, Black, White, Mix of any of the above!

Then my senior year of high school my dad decides he is going to pastor a church in Lafayette, LA on the north side of town. I went to Northside High School and immediately realized I had no CLUE about racism. In the beginning, no one but white people would talk to me!! And considering the low density of white people that attended North Side High at the time, I had a limited 'pool' of friends to choose from! Ironically I met my wife at that school.

All in all, I lived in Lafayette for 7 years or so and although I would personally say that racism is alive and well there, I feel I made plenty of friends of all races there as well. I think that racism is a two way street and both sides are at fault.

Now i live back in Hawaii and my wife and I always toy with the idea of moving back to Lafayette. ITs a great city with some awesome people, you just have to know how to act.

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top