U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM
 
Location: The Outer Limits
288 posts, read 520,287 times
Reputation: 162

Advertisements

Wabashky, when you say you have to know "how to act," what do you mean?

I'm black, grew up in NYC and in the Pasadena area (Los Angeles), and have lived in San Francisco for a number of years. Like yourself, I've always had friends of many different races, and I'm considering a move to Lafayette for a job (if I'm hired). I have friends advising me not to move (black gal pals) and others (Caucasian guys) saying to go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,198 posts, read 20,546,842 times
Reputation: 8984
Why are they telling you not to move? Have they been here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 PM
 
Location: The Outer Limits
288 posts, read 520,287 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Why are they telling you not to move? Have they been here?
One of my friends has visited (New Orleans), and the other hasn't. They both have negative feelings about the South as far as being concerned about racism and discrimination. Of course, that can happen anywhere, not just the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,198 posts, read 20,546,842 times
Reputation: 8984
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLGal View Post
One of my friends has visited (New Orleans), and the other hasn't. They both have negative feelings about the South as far as being concerned about racism and discrimination. Of course, that can happen anywhere, not just the South.
So one of them has been to New Orleans and they are telling you not to move to a completely different city? That's hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,047 posts, read 4,677,327 times
Reputation: 1437
Lafayette is a very different city than NOLA. the culture is different. Schools and infrastructure are different. the demographics are different. This is the land of Cajuns, not Creoles. It is a different kind of food, different music, and different culture, but in some ways makes Louisiana what it is more than NOLA does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM
 
Location: The Outer Limits
288 posts, read 520,287 times
Reputation: 162
Well, I'm leaning towards Lafayette, no matter what my naysayer friends say . I have friends who live in the area, I loooove the food, the music, and I'm a closet Francophile. What I'm more concerned about are bugs and flooding, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,047 posts, read 4,677,327 times
Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLGal View Post
Well, I'm leaning towards Lafayette, no matter what my naysayer friends say . I have friends who live in the area, I loooove the food, the music, and I'm a closet Francophile. What I'm more concerned about are bugs and flooding, lol.
I seriously think your friends may just not know what Lafayette is actually like. If they had half an inkling of how fun this city can be, they would be saying entirely different things. Just one visit to Festival International for example could do the trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
3 posts, read 6,265 times
Reputation: 10
We are relocating to Lafayette from Dallas and reading some of the posts on here, I am getting a little concerned about the type of community this is. We've only been to Lafayette twice and everyone seemed very friendly. I am white, but I don't choose my friends based on their skin color and I find racism very difficult to tolerate. I am not going to be happy living in a place where that kind of ignorance is acceptable. Should I be worried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,198 posts, read 20,546,842 times
Reputation: 8984
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgregory View Post
We are relocating to Lafayette from Dallas and reading some of the posts on here, I am getting a little concerned about the type of community this is. We've only been to Lafayette twice and everyone seemed very friendly. I am white, but I don't choose my friends based on their skin color and I find racism very difficult to tolerate. I am not going to be happy living in a place where that kind of ignorance is acceptable. Should I be worried?
Which threads have you read? This is the south, expect nothing different from Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 PM
 
4 posts, read 7,038 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLGal View Post
Wabashky, when you say you have to know "how to act," what do you mean?
pretty much don't come in to some place new acting a fool like you own the place etc... Some people don't know how to act.

I'd say take a chance on Lafayette personally. I love the people and food and culture. Heck, I think some of the way that people are is what makes the whole experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top