U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,676,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo View Post
Like I said - I am not from here, but I have been here three years. I have a different vantage point. However, Curious G is asking a serious question, and I'm offering the HONEST info he/she is seeking about tolerance in Lafayette. It is not as impressive as a native might think.

I love the way people always throw qualifiers like, it's ok if you "are not trashy"you will be more accepted. On the surface, maybe, if you meet the white people's elusive criteria of not being "trashy", you won't be overtly discriminated against. But barely scratch that surface, like,actually expect meaningful social interaction with white people here, and you are living in LA-LA land. White people here DO NOT MIX with blacks, and that is the absolute truth. Too bad everyone is too admit it. It is shameful, but you have to admit it before you can excise it.

Great - Lafayette is not as bad as some places. But not so great, because it's pretty darn bad just the same.

Skip
there is no "elusive" criteria. you either care about yourself and how you appear to others in society, or you dont. You either throw garbage everywhere or you take the time to pick it up. Its a lazy way to live and it doesnt matter what race a person is, if they are trashy they are not liked. Its a mindset and a huge character flaw. Theres no excuse to be that way or live that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:47 PM

887 posts, read 2,707,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo View Post
Like I said - I am not from here. White people here DO NOT MIX with blacks, and that is the absolute truth.
No. Not true at all.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:21 PM

39 posts, read 102,287 times
thanks skippydoo for your insight as an outsider. I have been hearing similar things from people who live in Lafayette. Thanks everyone else for your opinions as well. I know that racism is everywhere. I've lived in many different parts of the world and have experience with such. I can accept racism, but not the kind where I have to think twice before walking into the clubhouse at river ranch in my sweats for example. Nor am I interested in segregating myself or having to know my place. I plan to come down again and do normal things over a week or so and see if I feel comfortable.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:49 AM

5 posts, read 94,238 times
Well, Curious G.,

I wish I didn't have to be the one to blunt about it, and I am glad you have found a way to come to terms with racism and how to live with it, for your own sanity.

I remember the first time I ever experienced racism within my own family toward blacks. Not being raised to think like that or hearing that kind of talk, EVER, it was a defining moment for me about the people I came from. I am very proud of my heritage, but that day was a shameful eye opener. And I must say, my family is very mild compared to the average bears around here on the topic.

I never seem to get numb to the N-word. It is always a jolt to my sensibilities, and it was a HUGE issue for me when I relocated, first to the Texas Coast, and then more recently, the Lafayette area. I initially started out refusing to allow the word to sneak past me in a conversation without being commented on. If it was said in my presence, I remarked at the ignorance that the word implied.

I learned VERY QUICKLY that you DO NOT tell people not to use that word. The can of worms it opens up is ridiculous, and there is no winning. It is almost a right to call people that word in the South, and Southerners defend that right vehemently. If they only knew how ignorant even the most casual use of that word makes them look and sound to the rest of the world... like a portion of their social development has been starved. They appear to have stunted their own growth and remained socially-retarded, because that's just how they were taught.

I was taught not to go outside in cold weather with wet hair or barefeet or I would catch a cold. Now, I have enough education to realize colds are cause by viruses, not wet hair or bare feet. If I ask a person if they are aware that viruses cause colds, they say, OF COURSE. But in the next sentence, you'll hear them repeat the wet hair/barefeet theory. It's JUST HOW THEY WERE RAISED.

That's exactly how the N-Word is.

I'll bet I hear that word at least once a day, in some capacity. Usually as a "joke" (I guess it there is a funny definition of it somewhere). And I have yet to hear anyone else say something about it's use being a poor choice of words. But talk about RACISM, and people all agree it's a bad thing.

I have to say it is kinda fascinating, because I notice sometimes people in a group will lower their voice when they use it and giggle knowingly amongst themselves, like little four year olds talking about poo-poo and pee-pee.

And that is here in a fairly large, progressive Louisiana city. Texas was WAY WORSE, and I admit my saucy mouth has very nearly incited violence when I voiced my opinion of the character of people who used that word in my presence.

But, I am just an uppity yankee (lol, people in California never hear that word except in history books) who should go back to where I came from.

If I had a nickle...

But anyway, good luck finding a nice place to live you can be comfortable and not feel insta-hate because you have a higher level of melanin in your epidermis than your potential neighbors might have. I wish I could have said, in good conscience, you will love Lafayette and River Ranch and experience little, if any, problems. But when I saw your post, it was like, whoa, somebody's got to warn that poster about what they are getting into moving their entire life here. At least you got that heads up, and apparently I am not the only one who felt the same obligation to be very honest about the racial climate here.

Again, best of luck.

Skip

Last edited by skippydoo; 04-07-2009 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-10-2009, 12:23 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,217,395 times
River Ranch is snooty because some there believe they are better than others because they live in River Ranch. It's more of an attitude of exclusion from the rest of the city or an elitist attitude. Local weekly publications are written and produced by people who live within the Ranch and so many of their stories focus almost exclusively on things going on in the Ranch. They are so separate from the rest of the parish that they somehow managed to get a separate trash collection contract where as the rest of the parish is required to pay a larger fee and deal with the much larger automated trash cans, so large that the handicapped and elderly can't hardly move the cans by themselves without help. That's one of the reasons for the resentment people feel towards the people who live in the ranch. I pity them. They are so totally clueless and ignorant of building quality that they'd willingly choose to live in very poor standard homes at outrageous prices for the sake of status. The style of the homes is a matter of personal taste. I don't like the homes because of the quality of the workmanship and the floorplan layout of many of the homes. Sure, what you see within the home looks good and is of good quality. But you probably didn't see the home being built. Before you consider buying a home in the ranch, hire an outside (outside the area) home inspector to go through the home with a fine tooth comb. Keep in mind that this home is located south of Interstate 10 and may be subject to much higher home and hurricane insurance because of it's location. Though you'll be within easy distance to the shopping mall, you'll also be wtihin easy distance of the traffic jams they produce.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:02 PM

128 posts, read 396,512 times
Having just left Lafayette after living there for ten years I have to say there is definitely racism there, it is alive and well but not every white person is racist just like not every black person is. Moderator cut: offensive Most people have no problem with the blacks, they do have problems with the ones who cause trouble and annoy other people...just like they don't like the white trash that causes similar issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo
Like I said - I am not from here. White people here DO NOT MIX with blacks, and that is the absolute truth.
I have to agree with LSU Tiger...that is NOT the absolute truth, I don't know where you have been hanging out or with who but you should get out and about more often. I admit it's not to the point where every white person has five black friends but there are plenty of people there who do mix and have no qualms about doing so. Btw, I'm not from this area either.

curiousg, start reading the local news sites such as klfy.com, katc.com, and acadiananow.com (I think it has changed but it's automatically redirected to the new site). They will give you a good idea of what is going on in Lafayette and the surrounding areas but one thing you will notice is the predominant trend of violent and drug offenders are black. Why? Well, there's a lot of black people there and the north side of town is often targeted by the police for the crime that occurs there. It's a combination of demographics and actual crime...white people make the news sometimes too but not as often.

As for River Ranch...sailordave is right on the money about how the houses look nice but if you saw how fast they were built you'd be a bit more cautious about buying/renting there. The area went through a tremendous growth spurt and new neighborhoods seemed to spring up practically every week...almost literally. I lived in a new subdivision north of town and watched the houses go up around me and could not believe how fast they were being built. The house I lived in looked very nice but after living in it for a year or so I had noticed many corners were cut and couldn't help but wonder what was going on in the other new homes. Walls weren't perfectly square, the framework of the studs for the walls was not sealed against the concrete foundation nor were the window frames sealed in the walls (this became quite evident after a nice little fire ant invasion at one point), the painters did not prime the sheetrock prior to painting and simply painted directly on to it, the same paint was also either very low quality or had been watered down somehow, poor insulation job, etc.

It would be a nice place to live though provided your job was nearby as traffic in Lafayette is frustrating to put it mildly. It can easily take you over 40 minutes to go from the college campus to the Acadiana Mall which is on the far south side of town on Johnston...and that's not necessarily during rush hour (is it still from ~7:30AM until 9PM? lol, I've only been gone a month). Not too many ways to detour around accidents as there are only a few main roads that go all the way through town and the infrastructure is far behind (20 years maybe more?).

Also sailordave, I too used to dread the Johnston/Ambassador area during the holiday season...it's bad enough the rest of the year but since that's about the only place to do gift shopping without going from one end of town to the other it's even more horrendous at that time. When I first moved to Lafayette back at the end of the 90's I remember being able to easily drive up and down Johnston or Ambassador during the day. Now it's a parking lot most of the time...and people wonder why road rage is so prevalent. Not to mention the complete morons who seem to make up 80% of the drivers...talking to people who have lived/visited numerous other areas of this country Lafayette has some of the worst drivers i.e., they don't know the laws of the road or don't care and simply can not drive worth a damn. But I'm not going to get started on that rant lol...traffic here in Denver is much heavier at times than there but at least the people know how to drive so traffic flows, even at rush hour.

The area around River Ranch has all the shopping that you need from grocery stores to luxury stores to restaurants so that's a plus. I'm not trying to scare you away from the area but want you to be aware that it has some issues.

Last edited by leorah; 04-11-2009 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: offensive language

Old 04-11-2009, 06:31 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,217,395 times
I have to correct myself on the River Ranch garbage collection. They pay an additional fee for garbage collection through the association fees. Their garbage is picked up twice a week the traditional way while the rest of the parish gets a once a week automated pickup using the huge cans.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
River Ranch is snooty because some there believe they are better than others because they live in River Ranch. It's more of an attitude of exclusion from the rest of the city or an elitist attitude. Local weekly publications are written and produced by people who live within the Ranch and so many of their stories focus almost exclusively on things going on in the Ranch. They are so separate from the rest of the parish that they somehow managed to get a separate trash collection contract where as the rest of the parish is required to pay a larger fee and deal with the much larger automated trash cans, so large that the handicapped and elderly can't hardly move the cans by themselves without help. That's one of the reasons for the resentment people feel towards the people who live in the ranch. I pity them. They are so totally clueless and ignorant of building quality that they'd willingly choose to live in very poor standard homes at outrageous prices for the sake of status. The style of the homes is a matter of personal taste. I don't like the homes because of the quality of the workmanship and the floorplan layout of many of the homes. Sure, what you see within the home looks good and is of good quality. But you probably didn't see the home being built. Before you consider buying a home in the ranch, hire an outside (outside the area) home inspector to go through the home with a fine tooth comb. Keep in mind that this home is located south of Interstate 10 and may be subject to much higher home and hurricane insurance because of it's location. Though you'll be within easy distance to the shopping mall, you'll also be wtihin easy distance of the traffic jams they produce.
THis is why I think Broadmoor is a much better place to live. Its literally across the street from the mall and shopping areas, its much cheaper to live in, and the homes are built solidly (although they are older style and subdivision desings). River Ranch can keep their riverside substandard housing. I have a friend who is quite wealthy and yet he refuses to live there. My Aunts house was built in another Southside wealthy section of town, but I watched them build the home and now a decade later, the house has all sorts of problems with construction. By contrast, the home I live in on Broadmoor, and also my parents home was built in the 70's and yet does not have even half the problems these new homes do. I have no bitterness towards RR people or their choice of where to live, but lets just say if I was wealthy, I wouldnt be living there.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 8,427 times
Default Reply

Hi CuriousG,
I want to welcome you to Lafayette. I have read thru the previous posts and wanted to chime in... I am white and I'm married to a black man and we have a five year old daughter. I shop in the River Ranch area quite a bit and attend Rhythms on the River and other events. Do we get "looks"? Sure we do! Do people talk? I'm sure they do. Do I care? Nope!
When we first entered into this relationship, and I moved here from southwest Missouri, I noticed everything, every look, every odd smile. But I have to say, we have been accepted here far better than we would have been in southwest Missouri, home of the "good ol' boys"...
Let me mention this though, if you are romantically interested in white folks, you will probably have to find someone that was not raised here...
I wish you well, and hope that you find Lafayette very welcoming.
Regards

Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 PM

I agree with you. The Acadiana area isnt quite as racially defined as the northern Louisiana areas. It has its own way of doing things and to me, seems alot more open to a greater diversity of people. Thats not to say it is devoid of racism or prejudice because thats definitely not the case, but in this city youd never be chased out with pitchforks or anything. It pretty much behaves as any small city would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana