U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:19 AM

211 posts, read 502,971 times

Advertisements

Dear Skip,

I appreciate your comments and insight. I have a couple of questions, though.

"I never seem to get numb to the N-word. It is always a jolt to my sensibilities, and it was a HUGE issue for me when I relocated, first to the Texas Coast, and then more recently, the Lafayette area."

"...Texas was WAY WORSE..."

Where on the TX coast were you? I'm from Houston. I know many Texans from all over the state; yet, I simply don't know anyone who talks like that.

"It is almost a right to call people that word in the South, and Southerners defend that right vehemently. If they only knew how ignorant even the most casual use of that word makes them look and sound to the rest of the world... like a portion of their social development has been starved. They appear to have stunted their own growth and remained socially-retarded, because that's just how they were taught."

So, all Southerners are bigots? Other than the years spent overseas, I have always lived in Southern cities (Houston and Nashville) and know many people from all over the (urban and rural) South and none of them fits your description of a Southerner. Painting tens of millions of Southerners with one brush sounds a little "ignorant" to me, frankly.

Scott

Last edited by houstonreadhead; 04-15-2009 at 04:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 AM

211 posts, read 502,971 times
Dear curiousg,

I understand the way you feel. I am considering moving to Lafayette, as well. I'm a teacher and I want to teach in the Lafayette Parish School System's French Immersion program. My only qualm is that I'm gay and I don't know how that will be accepted in a smallish city. However, I have learned there are pockets of acceptance everywhere.

I will say this, I have spent time in So LA and I think it's a really nice part of the country. The food's delicious, the people are very friendly, and you can get a nice house at a reasonable price.

Let us know how your reconnaissance week goes.

Good luck,
Scott

Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 AM

49 posts, read 188,208 times
To Houstonreadhead

Just to give you some insight on the gay scene here in Lafayette & surrounding area. I was born and Raised in Lafayette, when I first came out at 18 I was a bit suprised by the amount of gays in the area, when I first went to the night club downtown I met people I went to school with and never ever would have suspected they were gay (they were not suprised to see me there though). The neighborhood that you will find the most accepting to your lifestyle would be the Saints Street area, It is nesseled between Downtown, Congress st. , Johnston Street & the CajunDome, Near Lourdes Hospital and the University. I don't currently live in Lafayette, my partener and I (he's originally from Massechuessets) of 8 years live in Opelousas pop approx 24,000 (due to the cheaper housing). But I do work in Lafayette. We were a bit nervous about buying and moving to Opelousas, but come to find out after being there a few months there were 5 gay house holds within a few blocks of our home we live in the historic district that is in a transition stage (alot of the homes are being renovated) It is a mixed racial, neighborhood and we all look out for each other I once got a call from a neighbor that there was a strange vehicle in my driveway needless to say it was just me I gota new car and she was not aware and she was a black woman and I'm white. We kind of all look out for each other.

To Curiousg

Not all residents of the area are like what most people are saying but the Residents of River Ranch are of a different mindset (old south money & mentallity). There is a big difference between the mindset of people from the northside to the southside though I'd hate to say that. I grew up and went to school on the Northside of town and most of my family still lives on the Northside of town. I find the Northside of town more accepting of people of different races and nationalities. There are some nice new subdivision on the Northside, La Bon Vie, Hunters Forest, Oakborne is old but nice, are the first to come to mind. There are not too many new apartment complexs or in this area of the city but you can find homes to rent or condo's the first and only one I would recomend is River Trace near Oakborne Country Club & Golf course. Or the Condo's in Hunters Forest just north of the Louisiana AVE. & I-10 Interchange.

It all boils down to the way You were raised, I see the Younger generation (well Younger than me Im 30 partener is 32) becoming more and more accepting.

Good luck and I welcome you to Acadiana if you choose to relocate here.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:48 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,676,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opelousasbear View Post
To Houstonreadhead

Just to give you some insight on the gay scene here in Lafayette & surrounding area. I was born and Raised in Lafayette, when I first came out at 18 I was a bit suprised by the amount of gays in the area, when I first went to the night club downtown I met people I went to school with and never ever would have suspected they were gay (they were not suprised to see me there though). The neighborhood that you will find the most accepting to your lifestyle would be the Saints Street area, It is nesseled between Downtown, Congress st. , Johnston Street & the CajunDome, Near Lourdes Hospital and the University. I don't currently live in Lafayette, my partener and I (he's originally from Massechuessets) of 8 years live in Opelousas pop approx 24,000 (due to the cheaper housing). But I do work in Lafayette. We were a bit nervous about buying and moving to Opelousas, but come to find out after being there a few months there were 5 gay house holds within a few blocks of our home we live in the historic district that is in a transition stage (alot of the homes are being renovated) It is a mixed racial, neighborhood and we all look out for each other I once got a call from a neighbor that there was a strange vehicle in my driveway needless to say it was just me I gota new car and she was not aware and she was a black woman and I'm white. We kind of all look out for each other.

To Curiousg

Not all residents of the area are like what most people are saying but the Residents of River Ranch are of a different mindset (old south money & mentallity). There is a big difference between the mindset of people from the northside to the southside though I'd hate to say that. I grew up and went to school on the Northside of town and most of my family still lives on the Northside of town. I find the Northside of town more accepting of people of different races and nationalities. There are some nice new subdivision on the Northside, La Bon Vie, Hunters Forest, Oakborne is old but nice, are the first to come to mind. There are not too many new apartment complexs or in this area of the city but you can find homes to rent or condo's the first and only one I would recomend is River Trace near Oakborne Country Club & Golf course. Or the Condo's in Hunters Forest just north of the Louisiana AVE. & I-10 Interchange.

It all boils down to the way You were raised, I see the Younger generation (well Younger than me Im 30 partener is 32) becoming more and more accepting.

Good luck and I welcome you to Acadiana if you choose to relocate here.
As I said earlier, growing up on the northside, youll realize that it is more accepting of diversity, since that is an older part of town and the people in it are more entrenched in the city for most of their lives.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:22 PM

887 posts, read 2,707,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opelousasbear View Post
but the Residents of River Ranch are of a different mindset (old south money & mentallity). .
Great post! I want to correct this point, however. Real old south old money would never live in crowded overpriced homes in River Ranch and the real old money people are more accepting.

I think Opelousasbear's experience show the side of Lafayette that I know..

Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 AM

49 posts, read 188,208 times
LSU Tiger Z71

Let me correct myself, what I meant by old money, I meant the offspring of the old money people. (inherited money). I do know a few people that live in River Ranch and the only reason they were able to afford a home there was because of what they inherited when their parents died. I'm not trying to ridicule the people who live there. It is a nice area just absolutely overpriced for Lafayette.
I also know someone who bought a home there just to say he/she lives in River Ranch. But they were so house poor they could not even afford to furnish the home, hey they had outdoor yard furniture in their living room, (you know the plastic patio furniture you buy at Wal Mart. They had to foreclose on the home and also had to file bankrupt.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:56 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,217,395 times
My sister's high school friend and her husband went bankrupt trying to live the River Ranch lifestyle for the sake of appearances. They were doing this for status. While they were doing this their former friends stopped talking to them because of the condescension.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:10 PM

128 posts, read 396,512 times
Hopefully these two families learned an important financial lesson...I'm not optimistic by nature though. I wouldn't live in River Ranch, not with all the other choices in the area that are cheaper and very nice as well. I did like to drive through it on Camelia just to see a section of town that looked somewhat modern and was actually clean. So many of Lafayette's streets just look like a giant dump. I'm exaggerating a bit, but there is a lot of trash..."enviromentally-friendly" is a term that needs to get a lot more popular down there, as beautiful of an area as south Louisiana is I saw way too many people throwing trash out of car windows. It was depressing...I'd forget about it for the most part until I traveled out of state for business/pleasure once in a while, then it would smack me in the head when I got back home.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know anyone who ever used the littering hotline that was setup a year or three ago to report offenders?

Old 04-18-2009, 04:17 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,676,196 times
not sure what roads you are referring to in Lafayette that are " a dump".
You have to realize that Lafayette doesnt segregate the trashy people from other people. We accept people from all walks of life and so you have to take the good with the bad. this is the problem with people from outside the south. they grow up in very segregated communities away from poorer, dangerous areas and so naturally most of the trashy people arent around to mess up the beautiful communities. Down here we have communities that encompass all sorts of people and inevitably that will leave us a bit dirtier and messier place because of it. Sure, we could have am uch neater community if we just banned a certain type of person from living here, but thats not what this city is about.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 PM

128 posts, read 396,512 times
A) I said I was exaggerating

B) I don't get where I inferred it was a racial or a class thing, you're trying to read between the lines but there's nothing there. Throwing trash out of your window has nothing to do with social class, I've seen all walks of life do it. Your response doesn't give me much to respond to so since it was not even remotely close to what I was saying but I'll try.

Quote:
this is the problem with people from outside the south. they grow up in very segregated communities away from poorer, dangerous areas and so naturally most of the trashy people arent around to mess up the beautiful communities
I said, "when I would travel out of state"...I did not say WHERE. Could have been Mississippi, Florida, Texas, California, Maine, Nebraska, or B.F.E. How did you get the idea it was a regional thing? Because my location is Colorado? I moved here a month and a half ago

Do you really want to start a north vs. south thing? We can get childish if you want but the fact remains that north and south stereotypes are both based on reality although often exaggerated (there's that word again). I said nothing about this being a north, south, east, or west thing but once again you are trying to put words in my mouth. Btw, have you ever even lived anywhere outside of the South (if so for how long)? Genuinely curious.

I grew up in Alaska so yes, I'm not a native. However, growing up there has its dangers as well and you might be surprised at how unsegregrated some areas are (this goes for plenty of other "Yankee" states as well, although I don't consider Alaska to be such a place...too far north). This goes for many places outside of your beloved South. Btw, I've seen how trashy rich people can be too, they just happen to be able to afford someone to pick up after them.

But after living there for ten years I would have to say I was no stranger either. Maybe it's because the environmental wagon is a bit stronger in other states? Sure, every city has areas that are more prone to trash than others but the proportion of such areas in Lafayette seems a bit on the wrong side. Like I said, I would get used to it quickly upon coming home but would also immediately remember quickly when I would visit other cities.

It's not that it's specific streets so much as how much trash is around the entire city along the roadways and how often I would see people littering, not to mention appliances dumped off of bridges (more of a rural issue than urban Lafayette specifically). Although Johnston/Louisiana...not all of it is dirty/trashy but a good portion is, especially if you get out and walk some of it. Heck, you can find Mardi Gras beads in the trees and other trash from the parades for months afterwards on the sidewalks and roads lol.

Anyway...care to take another stab at it without trying to make it a race/regional discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana